British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-12, 01:49 PM
lionel

Default west yorkshire cap badges

this represents the start of my West yorkshire cap badge collection , i am getting a soft spot for the osd bz examples and hope to add more when time and cash permit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060405.jpg (78.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1060408.jpg (81.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-01-12, 03:39 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-544 View Post
this represents the start of my West yorkshire cap badge collection , i am getting a soft spot for the osd bz examples and hope to add more when time and cash permit
The OSD's are both nice, particually so the 3 bladed one at the bottom and both look to be maker marked? If so could you please confirm the details of the maker?

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 06-01-12, 03:47 PM
guest123a

Default DIX NOONAN AND WEBB - West Yorks

For your interest please see the attached for some West Yorks items I won at the Dix Noonan and Webb auction in December.

Particually nice to get was the AA West Yorks, near bottom right.

Cheers,

Marcus

Last edited by guest123a; 16-05-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 04:07 PM
lionel

thats a great haul of west yorkshire items you won at auction well done !!! The 2 bladed osd is J.R.GAUNT LONDON and the 3 bladed example is J&CO
Old 06-01-12, 04:26 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-544 View Post
thats a great haul of west yorkshire items you won at auction well done !!! The 2 bladed osd is J.R.GAUNT LONDON and the 3 bladed example is J&CO
The J&C is certainly the rarer of the two, you tend to see a lot of Gaunt (marked or un marked) about. Good luck with the collecting.
Old 06-01-12, 04:33 PM
lionel

who would say is the rarest maker to find on these osd badges Marcus ?
Old 06-01-12, 04:59 PM

Very nice pieces. But if I may pick up in the OSD maker issue ? Do you know of W Yorks ones made (marked) by Firmin ? I have Jennens and Gaunt Kings's (1st patt) OSDs and I'm beginning to doubt whether Firmin marked ones exist. It would be useful to know if other regimental collectors could confirm whether F made / marked OSDs before the 1920s.
Thanks
Old 06-01-12, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Very nice pieces. But if I may pick up in the OSD maker issue ? Do you know of W Yorks ones made (marked) by Firmin ? I have Jennens and Gaunt Kings's (1st patt) OSDs and I'm beginning to doubt whether Firmin marked ones exist. It would be useful to know if other regimental collectors could confirm whether F made / marked OSDs before the 1920s.
Thanks
Good question Julian, one that had never occurred to me. I think it may be worthy of a new thread as I feel it may be lost here. Happy New Year by the way.
Old 06-01-12, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
The J&C is certainly the rarer of the two, you tend to see a lot of Gaunt (marked or un marked) about. Good luck with the collecting.
I have a Gaunt late Jennens OSD with 2 blades, sorry no Firmin though Julian,cheers,
Wilf.
Old 06-01-12, 05:38 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
I have a Gaunt late Jennens OSD with 2 blades, sorry no Firmin though Julian,cheers,
Wilf.
Julian,
I've a few "FIRMIN" marked OSDs, the earliest I can date for sure is an Army Dental Corps (c.1921) nothing I can be certain is pre 1920!

Andy
Old 08-01-12, 05:09 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Thanks
Good question,

To be honest I don't think that I have a Firmin marked West Yorks OSD (Cap or horse collars) badge. I'm about 95% certain on this one, I'm not back home to the UK for about 2 months and until I get back I can not go to the 100% nil return.

Cheers,

Hammo2440