British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-08, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default What have we here? No 7

Been some time since we had an image for discussion. For the forum readers, what have we here?
Old 06-10-08, 04:31 PM

Default No 7 picture

I think this is the Black Watch being inspected by a politician, possibly late 1950's maybe early 1960's. The winter of 1962-63 seems possible with the then Minister of Defence doing the inspection. Just a shot in the dark!
Old 06-10-08, 04:35 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

I don't know Bill If it isn't BW, But it looks like hard times, kilts all too short.
Old 06-10-08, 04:45 PM

Well Bill,I'll jump in .A post-war photograph by the cut of the BDs (very early 50's?). The guard of honour is made up of Canadian Black Watch ORs. as they wear, BW shoulder titles (faintly shown on Pte. on the right),and the badge in cloth on the arm (a la Imperial BW?). The officer (second from left) is not a BW officer but from another regiment (probably a Cameron and seems to be wearing 2ndWW medals ribbons). The third from left officer is a Canadian BW officer by the jump wings on his left breast. Could be in post-war Germany as the house doesn't look like the ones seen in Canada. Poor guys wearing kilts in winter...........
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 06-10-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 07:53 PM

First thought is Canloan?
Old 06-10-08, 09:37 PM
Banned

Soest Germany late 50s

PAUL
Old 07-10-08, 11:02 PM

I'm going to guess that they are members of the Black Watch's company of either 1st or 2nd Canadian Highland Battalion.
Now...I thought that they wore the 27 Bde patch (with battalion identifier) on both sleeves.
My other thought is that they might be imperials - Did the Canadians wear the battalion tartan patch cut in the outline of the cap badge?

Phil
Old 08-10-08, 01:17 AM
Banned

Note the the two officers are wearing Canadian jump wings. I have been there
before this is the main gate at Soest . As for some of the weird dress accoutrements seen it was a time of change but at the same time as we where closely tied with the BAOR those could certainly be a honour guard of imperials as the dignataries look British with those hats don't they.

PAUL
Old 08-10-08, 02:34 PM

Hi Paul,one of the two civilians,IMO,could be some canadian minister (external affairs?) and his deputy or some MP as this style of clothing and hats were very "in" for high-ranking civil service members and MPs in the 50's in Ottawa.But, that's just me.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 08-10-08, 03:25 PM
Banned

Ha HA you must be older that me then . I was just 17 when I joined in 65 and found myself over there.

PAUL
Old 08-10-08, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Some really good analysis guys.
The photo is PAC (Public Archives fo Canada), PA 159846. Caption reads:
VIP's visit 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade. Finance Minister Douglas Abbott and Justice Minister Stuart Garson inspect a guard from the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada. Hannover West Germany, 29 Jan 1952.
Of interest for badge collectors are the feather plumes in place of the cap badge. Does anyone know how long this practice was followed? And, as Phil noted, there is a "highland" patch on the tunics, not the 27th Bde. (At least not visible.)
Old 08-10-08, 06:12 PM

Hi Bill, to respond to your question about the hackle ,this about the Imp.BW and gives the reason for wearing a red hackle.(I also noted the BW patch on the sleeve....)
Jo
http://www.taskforceroyals.com/vrhc/fmuseum.html#hackle

Old 08-10-08, 06:25 PM

A pic of the 27th Brigade patches.
Jo
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/Canada_25__27CIB_patches.jpg

The 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade was formed in early 1951 to fulfill Canada's military obligations to NATO and to release troops from the Canadian Army (Regular) for service with the Canadian Army Special Force (later the 25th C.I.B.) for service with the UN Forces in Korea.

1st Canadian Infantry Batt.: five companies, made up of volunteers from the Hastings and Prince Edward Regt.,the Carleton and York Regt.,the Algonquin Regt.,the Loyal Edmonton Regt.,and les Fusiliers Mont-Royal.

1st Canadian Highland Batt.: five companies, from the Canadian Scottish,the 48th Highlanders, the Seaforth Highlanders,the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, and the Black Watch (RHR) of Canada.

1st Canadian Rifles Batt.:five companies, from the Victoria Rifles of Canada, the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry,the Regina Rifles Regiment, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.

The 27th C.I.B. was stationed and had its HQ in the city of Hanover.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 09-10-08 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 01:18 AM

Default A bit of Canadian history.

Following the info supplied by Bill's photograph here's a bit of information on the two Canadian politicians.
Jo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Abbott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Garson

Old 09-10-08, 11:24 PM

The RHC have worn the red hackle since mid 1916 (don't have the precise date in front of me) in the balmoral. Previous to this the regiment wore the glengarry with appropriate badge.

The RHC have never officially worn a balmoral with a cap badge, always with the red hackle. Although photographic evidence exists showing badges occasionally being worn (especially during WWI)