British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-08, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default Royal Fusiliers

An interesting variant RF badge. Firmin made and marked so I would say post War.

It is a little smaller than usual RF badges (50mm compared to the usual 53mm) but the same height as plastic economy RF on the far right in the last picture. The Q/C one is just as short but there is only three mms in it. Was this a deliberate decision to have a smaller badge for the beret? Does anyone have a second q/c one to measure?

Second question is why the rose was rotated in the Q/C version? The a/a version also has a full petal sitting at 12o'clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa badges 002.jpg (40.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg aa badges 003.jpg (43.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg aa badges 005.jpg (52.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 20-12-08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 03:44 PM

Just a question, was the Royal Fusiliers badge produced in anodised aluminium or are the badges illustrated the post war version?

many thanks

L1A1
Old 10-07-12, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Firmin made a/a Q/C RF badges. No k/c a/a badge existed. The regular battalion was wearing the Fus bde badge by the time that the q/c ones were sealed in the 1960s.
Old 10-07-12, 05:23 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
An interesting variant RF badge. Firmin made and marked so I would say post War.

It is a little smaller than usual RF badges (50mm compared to the usual 53mm) but the same height as plastic economy RF on the far right in the last picture. The Q/C one is just as short but there is only three mms in it. Was this a deliberate decision to have a smaller badge for the beret? Does anyone have a second q/c one to measure?

Second question is why the rose was rotated in the Q/C version? The a/a version also has a full petal sitting at 12o'clock.
Hi Alan,

Nice badges there, I do have quite a few Royal Fusiliers ( not enough yet though, lol ) and I will take measurements of them later on but something that I have just noticed is that several of my " standard " badges, for want of a better word, are around the 50 -51mm size.

I only have one QC version which is an OSD and it has the petal full at 12.00 o'clock ?? and is 51mm in height, another question re these badges is the difference in the size of the crown ?? ( K.'s C. versions), all the other variations such as the shape of the flames etc, I have always assumed to be manufacturers' variations ????

Your thoughts please.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My London Regiment. 225.jpg (85.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg My London Regiment. 226.jpg (50.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-07-12, 06:30 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Alan,

Having just carried out a scientific size test, photographing my R.F. badges on white paper with a 50mm wide tramline which didn't even work out properly, I realised it was another QC version you wanted the dimensions of and I have already done that with my OSD, end of........

Back to the drawing board...

Dave.

Tags
royal fusiliers