British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-09, 08:37 PM

Default Cameron Highlanders badge

I picked up a Cameron Highlanders badge at a flea market recently. See the attached pictures. I am new to British badges, have started collecting a few Scottish badges, but am mainly into US & British military uniform buttons. From what I have found on the internet, it appears to be of the pre-1881 style, it does not have "CAMERON" on a ribbon on the front, nor does it look like the Sporran badge type. Was hoping to get more information on this badge. Could anyone help me identify the badge, particularly, is it original? How can I tell?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img165.jpg (71.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg img166.jpg (84.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 17-08-09, 01:50 AM

David
Good find. Well toned lugs (black) on the reverse with gold braze.

Whilst I'm definately no expert I'll stick my neck out and say it looks like a 79th (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) OR's glengarry to me. Possibly late 19th century (1872 - 1897).

I would certainly have it in my collection.

My opinion only.

Mark
Old 17-08-09, 04:38 AM

David, I think Mark is right,and I found this website some time ago I have included the link so you can judge by yourself. First badge, top left.
Jo
http://www.geocities.com/scotlandswarriors/camsea.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-08-09, 08:02 AM

Voltigeur
I saved this site the last time you kindly brought it to the forum's attention (though one or two badges do look a tad suspect to my eye).

However, I thought about it when I read Hagwalther's thread yesterday on the A&SH. I thought if he could see the number of variations, bows, thistles, fat cats, thin cats, arms raised, arm lowered, voids, multiple voids etc etc it may help him on his A&SH 'a/a journey of discovery'.

Do you think its worth bringing to his attention even though its not really a/a biased?

Mark
Old 17-08-09, 09:30 AM

Thanks to both dubaiguy and Voltigeur for their replies. Glad to hear that this badge is likely original. Also nice website, the Scottish Regimental Badges site, have saved it in my Favorites.
THANKS
Old 17-08-09, 12:50 PM

Mark, I already sent Hagwalther the link on the A&SH.
Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-08-09, 03:12 PM

Congratulations David on your purchase of what (I agree) appears to be a "real deal" with the Cameron pre-1881 glengarry badge.
However, regarding Voltiguer's recommended web-site for "Scottish Regimental Badges" I am a little uneasy at some of the items displayed here,eg, taking for example just the Cameron section ;
the officers gilt badge worries me (no mention of this in any of the contemporary "Dress Regs"), as does the OR's 1916-19 all-brass "economy" badge...and,for that matter one might ask "..when and who were issued with the all-brass pre 1881 badge !?.."
Again, the "Waterloo" scroll item is in fact a mounting for the QOH waist-belt-clasp c.1961 and was never issued as a cap badge (although some are found on the market with lugs at the rear).
So,while I would agree that it is a very interesting,well laid out site,and indeed well worth a visit, I think forum members would be well advised to take the information supplied with a VERY BIG pinch of salt ! Regards Jeff
Old 17-08-09, 03:45 PM

3 out of the 8 Liverpool Scottish badges on the site refered to are definatly "iffy" to say the least.

P.B.

Sorry, I should have said 4 out of 8.

The bi metal 10th Kings glengarry badge ( yes I know it is in Bloomer ) the brass Liverpool Scottish Cameron glengarry badge and the two 8th ( Scottish ) cross belt plates.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 17-08-09 at 04:42 PM.
Old 17-08-09, 04:56 PM

Thanks to everyone for helping confirm this badge as original.

Now with all the replies that this is likely original, and knowing what little I paid, I'm wondering how much this flea market find might be worth. When I bought it, the seller had no idea what it was, and honestly, I knew it was Scottish, but wasn't sure what regiment or even if it was original (hopefully it's obvious that I'm new to badges). Can anybody put a rough value on this badge? Just curious.
Old 17-08-09, 06:33 PM

David. For prices try the "bluebell militaria" or "buywze" on-line shop sites. At a guess, I would say about £40 to £60 (any advance)??
As for your button, I'm afraid it is not in any of the references I have, but I will keep on looking. Can't promise anything,but if could you post it as an attachment (front & back, with a brief description,ie brass,gilt,or whatever,and the maker if known) and at a slightly higher resolution, possibly some button guru on the forum can help you. Regards. Jeff
PS: Sorry. I missed seeing it on the "buttons thread" but anyway have no idea at present. I wonder,could it be mess waiter's..or even non military ??

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 17-08-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 17-08-09, 10:36 PM

Jeff,
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm excited to hear that the badge is worth about £40 - £60, when I only paid $5US at a flea market in the US. The dealer didn't know what he had, and I'm only now learning. Very exciting, it will go high in my display.
As far as the button, I had put that message in my "signature" hoping to gain some notice as I posted elsewhere around the forum. Didn't realize until your post what it looked like. I do thank you for looking and your thoughts on the button. I had thought the same thing, that it might be mess dress or even non-military, maybe veteran or something. I got a separate message that it might be Canadian. A friend gave me one of these, he had a set of five he had picked up many years ago, we were both hoping to find out what they were.

Thanks again,
David
Old 14-10-20, 05:35 PM

Hello David

I know this is an older thread but i am helping my local museum identify some of the badges in their collection and thought you might be able to help me out.

As you can see the badge in the photos i have sent is very similar to the one you have. The main difference i see between the badges is the placement of St Andrews right forearm in relation to the wreath.

Have you been able to find more information that indicates the usage time frame of these badges or any other information for that matter? Cheers.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201011_143137.jpg (108.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20201011_144149.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 14-10-20, 06:29 PM

This badge replaced the brass pre-territorial Glengarry badge in 1882 and was worn upto 1897, when the title scroll 'Cameron' was added.

Neil
Old 18-10-20, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
David, I think Mark is right,and I found this website some time ago I have included the link so you can judge by yourself. First badge, top left.
Jo
http://www.geocities.com/scotlandswarriors/camsea.htm
Good day Voltigeur

The link you posted above no longer works. Do you know another way to to connect to that website? Cheers.

Paul
Old 18-10-20, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
This badge replaced the brass pre-territorial Glengarry badge in 1882 and was worn upto 1897, when the title scroll 'Cameron' was added.

Neil
Hell Parabellum

Were you replying to my post or to David Guthrie’s post?

Tags
cameron highlanders