British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-13, 09:43 PM

Default 4 country (apc) sqn rct

hi guys,

got this print of a painted montage by david montgomery for 4 country (apc) sqn rct,op banner,nov 1980-april 1981

however dont know anything about this unit.and am looking for info

was it a mixed unit made up for the tour from all rct units.?

or was it a part of a larger unit?.

all help apprecated

philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (52.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (33.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by rockape560; 01-05-13 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 07:37 AM

Hiya Philip, Just seen this, All RCT Sqns were brought up to tactical strength when tours of NI were taken, as most in BAOR were only on peacetime strength. So yes they would has had a mixture of differing troops who were attached to each RCT Sqn.

We took over from 4 Sqn RCT in April 1981-August 1981 and had taken on the hungerstriker problems in the Maze that occurred at the time. We lost Paul "Geordie" Bulman at XMG on the 19th May (3 days short of his 20th birthday).

Ken (The Fatboy)
PS
I'll see if I can dig up some info for you later, ....

PPS
4 Sqn RCT was part of 2 Armd Div Tpt Regt RCT (2nd Armoured Division Transport Regiment (Royal Corps of Transport)

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 02-05-13 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added PPs
Old 02-05-13, 10:45 AM

hi ken,

many thanks for that.

i suppose the "country" element of the title discribes where they were based,as the images are of mostly south armagh,with londonderry and moscow camp being the exception.

was "moscow camp" the military end of the maze?.

philip
Old 02-05-13, 11:44 AM

Same as the RAOC & REME, we had roulement companies for Northern Ireland, nominally based on a single unit, but personnel coming from several. Most famous being 321 EOD Company RAOC which nominally was a sub-unit of 11 EOD Regiment, but had ATO/AT and none AT personnel attached from all over.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 02-05-13 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 11:44 AM

Hiya Philip, Moscow camp was known as the "City Sqn" and was the base camp for all the roulement tours for NI, for the RCT and covered the whole of Belfast and surrounding areas, basically "The HQ" elements of our Sqns, it would be found in the Docks of Belfast City, hense the term City Sqn.

The "Country Sqn" were were another Sqn from normally the same Regiment but based in Bandit Country, Armagh, Londonderry etc but mainly the Border areas of NI.

When I was in 26 Sqn RCT the resident RCT Sqn in Lisburn NI, we were always doing undercover ops into bandit country, with resupplies, troop movements etc, we were always in pairs or on our own, a scary prospect but it had to be done, as most people wouldn't expect a squaddy to be on his own in the middle of NI.

Ken

PS
APC = Armoured Personnel Carriers these were always Saracens, and were driven only in the Countryside as they were difficult to manouver in the cities.
Pigs = 1 Ton Humbers these were driver in the Cities, as they were slow and cumbersome.
So City = Pig driver trg & Country = Saracen driver trg

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 02-05-13 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-05-13, 01:27 PM

hi ken,

many thanks.always interesting finding these things out

philip
Old 02-05-13, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Same as the RAOC & REME, we had roulement companies for Northern Ireland, nominally based on a single unit, but personnel coming from several. Most famous being 321 EOD Company RAOC which nominally was a sub-unit of 11 EOD Regiment, but had ATO/AT and none AT personnel attached from all over.
Yes Mike, we (The RCT) had a number of personnel attached to the 321 EOD sections throughout NI as their drivers, a very special posting indeed, many a happy snap has been put up by these lads from previous tours of NI, on fb. I was not one of them I'm afraid, but they all enjoyed their times there though, an exceptional unit of many badges working together under one unit.

Ken
Old 02-05-13, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Ken

PS
APC = Armoured Personnel Carriers these were always Saracens, and were driven only in the Countryside as they were difficult to manouver in the cities.
Maybe your RCT drivers needed better instruction, I and other RA chaps drove sarrycans around Belfast etc.

Marc
Old 02-05-13, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Maybe your RCT drivers needed better instruction, I and other RA chaps drove sarrycans around Belfast etc.

Marc
SarryAbees !!! I believe Marc

The Army would never allow them in a trouble situ, as they would be hard to manouver in a tight situation.

Riot Control Sarries (Water Cannons), Ambi Sarries (Sarri Ambi's) but never troop carrying Sarris for troubles though, steering wheels would cause to much problems when driving in a tight situation.

I know, cos I was that soldier, ..........

Ken
Old 02-05-13, 04:17 PM

Bog standard troop carrier on the roads round Andersonstown, also none up-armoured pigs.

Marc
Old 02-05-13, 05:25 PM

lol

Do know what Marc, we actually had the RRW (Royal Regt of Wales) came out in 1981 to take over from the RWF (Royal Welch Fusiliers) what a great outstanding bunch of guys, RWF. And these guys drove down the Falls road in Soft skinned Land Rovers and MK's during the hunger strikes of 81. And not a brick or petrol bomb touched them, we were amazed at it, as (i think) were the PIRA & INLA. =-/

It had been 10/15 years since their last tour, ....... need I say more ?
Old 27-10-20, 10:25 PM

Ken Paul was operating out of Bessbrook to XMG
Old 28-10-20, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Hiya Philip, Just seen this, All RCT Sqns were brought up to tactical strength when tours of NI were taken, as most in BAOR were only on peacetime strength. So yes they would has had a mixture of differing troops who were attached to each RCT Sqn.

We took over from 4 Sqn RCT in April 1981-August 1981 and had taken on the hungerstriker problems in the Maze that occurred at the time. We lost Paul "Geordie" Bulman at Bessbrook on the 19th May (3 days short of his 20th birthday).

Ken (The Fatboy)
PS
I'll see if I can dig up some info for you later, ....

PPS
4 Sqn RCT was part of 2 Armd Div Tpt Regt RCT (2nd Armoured Division Transport Regiment (Royal Corps of Transport)
CORRECTION
(This should read Bessbrook, as Geordie was based in the Mill and not as stated XMG, which is a different location, I have updated this statement today 28/10/2020.)
Old 28-10-20, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Bog standard troop carrier on the roads round Andersonstown, also none up-armoured pigs.

Marc
Also in Bogside and Creggan (hence the base known as "The Saracen Factory") and Strabane during the early 70's.
Sarry- cans and Pigs also used for rural patrols in Co's 'Derry and Tyrone during that time.