British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-14, 10:19 PM

Default Variety

To show a variety of NZ numerals, and a number of numerals from 14 -19
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ badges AAAAAA.jpg (81.5 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by vigilans; 20-02-14 at 01:24 AM.
Old 20-02-14, 08:31 PM

Hi Brent,
Interesting stuff, thanks for the pictures. I don't see a numeral "1" on Sergeant Palmer's epaulette but could be wrong.
The "1" and "5" numerals I have measure 15mm high.
Attached are quick shots of some of my Reinforcement badges showing the numerals I have. The "26"s have hex lugs E-W, "27" has Stokes name on bar and has loop lugs E-W, "32" has hex lugs E-W, "33"s have Stokes name on bar and have loop lugs E-W, "37" has hex lugs N-S, "38" hex lugs E-W, and "43"s hex lugs N-S.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZReinforce1.jpg (62.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg NZReinforce2.jpg (79.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 24-02-14, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I've removed the posts with the name calling and profanity. So it's not worth writing it in the first place as it will be deleted.
Old 24-02-14, 12:37 PM

Guys,
My 15 to 19 numbers. I only have:
1 x 16th
1 x 18th
2 x 19th

All the best
James
Attached Images
File Type: png 16.png (44.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png 18th.png (23.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 19th.jpg (14.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 24-02-14, 11:03 PM

Sorry guys, I do have a 17th as well.
Regards
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (11.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (110.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 26-02-14, 11:05 AM

No makers name on either of these number 18's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 (1).jpg (50.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 18 (2).jpg (65.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 18 (3).jpg (50.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-03-14, 05:01 AM

Sergeant Allan Palmer, Service No. 25301, 14th Reinforcements, J Company.

Private William Robertson, Service No. 14482, 14th Reinforcements Auckland Infantry Battalion, A Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Having been in touch with a few experienced badge collectors and military dealers ,one can form an opinion (and it is only an opinion).

These '' Stokes'' numerals do appear in some well established NZ badge collections .They have been uncommon in the past ,but some have come into collections via NZEF veteran's estates .This would suggest that some were worn by NZ'ers in WW1.However the flood on the market at the moment would suggest to me that these ones were a bulk lot of unissued badges .

More research is required ,but lets keep it tidy

Cheers Iain
Iain like yourself I do not collect NZ Reinforcement Numerals although I do have a single D/10 which measures at just over 25mm.

I do however collect regulation NZ Regimental Numerals (1 -17) and regulation NZ Corps/Battery Letters (A – J), which were all made by Gaunt and were all the regulation size of 5/8th of an inch (approx. 15mm)
I also collect NZ Reinforcement Letters (A – J) all of which measure just over 16mm.

Unfortunately as I don’t have a Stokes Numeral in my collection I can only comment that the size mentioned by Vigilans [Quote:] ― “they are NOT Australian Slouch hat numerals, they are too small (at 13mm)” ― seems unusually small to me considering the NZ regulation size was 15mm.

The Stokes made numerals are rather distinctive considering they have a unique cross bar attachment which sits underneath the numerals, so it seems rather suspicious to me that neither you nor I have found a period photo of a New Zealand reinforcement wearing a Stokes made numeral.
(I do however have period photos showing all of the 5 NZ camp made reinforcement numerals that are depicted in Corbett’s badge book ― pg 176, 183, 184 and 185)

Interestingly Lowe’s Reinforcement badge book (pg 53) shows a war time picture showing NZ Reinforcement Numerals beginning with 17 all the way up to 34, none of which appear to be made by Stokes.

What we both can agree on is that the Stokes made Numerals being sold by Bigg-mama-nz are most unlikely to have ever been worn at all by NZ Reinforcements, which means that if evidence does turn up showing that NZ Reinforcements did actually wear Stokes made numerals, then Bigg-mama-nz has single handily crushed any value of the Stokes Numerals that “have come into collections via NZEF veteran's estates.”

To put this matter at rest Puk, can you supply any proof or provenance of Stokes Numerals that can be linked to an actual WW1 NZ veteran, which you mention exists “in some well established NZ badge collections?”

Last edited by atillathenunns; 01-03-14 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Brent,
Interesting stuff, thanks for the pictures. I don't see a numeral "1" on Sergeant Palmer's epaulette but could be wrong.
The "1" and "5" numerals I have measure 15mm high.
Attached are quick shots of some of my Reinforcement badges showing the numerals I have. The "26"s have hex lugs E-W, "27" has Stokes name on bar and has loop lugs E-W, "32" has hex lugs E-W, "33"s have Stokes name on bar and have loop lugs E-W, "37" has hex lugs N-S, "38" hex lugs E-W, and "43"s hex lugs N-S.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Tinto
Tinto, at 15mm I am leaning more to your 1 & 5 numerals being Regimental numbers belonging the 15th (North Auckland) Regiment.

Your 27th & 33rd Stoke made numerals are interesting, do you know their history by any chance?
Old 01-03-14, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevjp View Post
Guys,
My 15 to 19 numbers. I only have:
1 x 16th
1 x 18th
2 x 19th
I do have a 17th as well.
Regards
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment View Post
No makers name on either of these number 18's.
Chaps great to see these, could you supply height measurements by any chance?

Cheers
Brent
Old 01-03-14, 06:58 AM

Brent,

We are trying to all trying to establish if these Stokes made numerals were worn by NZEF or not .I cannot find any photographic evidence at the moment to say either way .In my small (portrait) collection its not conclusive as the epaulettes are not clear or showing the numerals

My information however comes from a well established and respected badge collector ,who has bought from estates of 1st NZEF soldiers .

I know that Alf Abel has been selling these badges for decades so they are not a modern phenomena

My lot ,20(18mm),23(19.5mm)25 (16mm),26(16mm),27(14mm)

Iain

Last edited by pukman; 01-03-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 07:39 AM

Here is a few of mine for comparison, with an E chucked in.

Numbers with Stokes & Sons Bars vs No Bars or Maker

Cheers
Corey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg numbers (1).jpg (49.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg numbers (2).jpg (53.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg numbers (3).jpg (46.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-03-14, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Tinto, at 15mm I am leaning more to your 1 & 5 numerals being Regimental numbers belonging the 15th (North Auckland) Regiment.

Your 27th & 33rd Stoke made numerals are interesting, do you know their history by any chance?
Hi Brent,
Sorry, I do not know the provenance of the 27 and 33 Stoke numerals but like Iain has said, these numbers would have been in returned soldiers' estates and have been in the collection for a long time. I'm pretty sure they weren't purchased from Alf Albel.
Cheers, Tinto

Last edited by Tinto; 01-03-14 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 03-03-14, 02:47 AM

Photographic evidence is the best kind .Here is a Stokes reinforcement numeral worn by one of our 1st NZEF soldiers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of stokes numeral 003.jpg (40.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-03-14, 04:02 AM

Default Oh Brent, you were so wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Photographic evidence is the best kind .Here is a Stokes reinforcement numeral worn by one of our 1st NZEF soldiers
What a bloody beauty Iain....well done

quote [Atillathenunns] "What we both can agree on is that the Stokes made Numerals being sold by Bigg-mama-nz are most unlikely to have ever been worn at all by NZ Reinforcements.....wrong!!!

quote [Atillathenunns] "To put this matter at rest Puk, can you supply any proof or provenance of Stokes Numerals that can be linked to an actual WW1 NZ veteran, which you mention exists “in some well established NZ badge collections?”" "....I guess he did just that Bren!

Guess that’s that eh Brent????

Last edited by vigilans; 03-03-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Interesting stuff.