British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-19, 09:58 PM

Default Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps

So, among the pile of badges that just bought I found this one.

It seems too good not to share it.

I will have a better photo in the next week or two once I process them.

Does anybody know anything of this unit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ceylon.jpg (64.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 14-11-19, 10:01 PM

Try that google thingie:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceylon...27_Rifle_Corps

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 14-11-19, 11:31 PM

At Gallipoli alongside New Zealand troops ,attached to 5th company Wellington Infantry of N Z expeditionary force Anzac Division
I have a spare pair of shoulder titles Single collar and cap badge -no lugs
scarce items
David
Old 15-11-19, 04:07 AM

I thought it was a very interesting badge and probably rather scarce too, that's why I shared it. I'll put a better photo up in due course.
Old 15-11-19, 05:32 AM

As I have a group and hat badge to a chap who served in the AFC and this unit also.

The Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps was a regiment of the Ceylon Defence Force, which existed between 1900 and 1949. It was a volunteer (reserve) regiment based in Kandy, made up of only Europeans, who were tea and rubber planters of the hills of Sri Lanka. Throughout its existence, the regiment deployed personnel to fight in the Second Boer War, and the First and Second World Wars. After the disbandment of the Ceylon Rifle Regiment (CRR) in 1873, some British planters and mercantile elite tried to form a volunteer infantry unit loosely known as the Matale Rifle Volunteer Corps but it was disbanded only months after its creation. In 1900, a new regiment named the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps was established with its headquarters at Kandy; the officers and other ranks were made up of Europeans, who were tea and rubber planters in the central highlands of Ceylon. Its first commanding officer was Colonel R.N. Farquharson, a retired naval captain. The regiment was a volunteer regiment mobilized to respond to internal emergencies or for deployments overseas.[citation needed]
The regiment's first deployment took place on 1 February 1900 when a detachment was sent to South Africa under the command of Major Murray-Menzies during the Second Boer War, seeing action in Cape Colony as well as at Drifontein, Johannesberg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen, and earning the Queen's and the King's Medals with seven clasps. During the conflict, the detachment lost one officer (Lieutenant A.H. Thomas, killed in action) and seven other ranks. A second detachment was sent to South Africa in 1902 arriving just before hostilities ended, and did not see combat. The overall conduct of Ceylon troops received accolades from General Kitchener, Chief of Staff to Lord Roberts in South Africa, who affirmed, "The Ceylon Contingent did very good work in South Africa I only wish we had more of them."
During the First World War, the regiment sent a force of eight officers and 229 other ranks under the command of Major J. Hall Brown. The unit sailed for Egypt on October 1914, and was initially deployed in defence of the Suez Canal. The unit was later transferred to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) and in mid-1915 was committed to the Gallipoli Campaign, landing at to Anzac Cove ('Z' Beach) on the Gallipoli Peninsula. The CPRC also performed operational duties as providing guards to ANZAC headquarter staff, including the General Officer Commanding ANZAC, Lieutenant General William Birdwood, who remarked, "I have an excellent guard of Ceylon Planters who are such a nice lot of fellows." According to its onetime commanding officer, Colonel T.Y. Wright (1904–1912), the CPRC sustained overall losses of 80 killed and 99 wounded in the First World War.
The CPRC was mobilized once more when World War II began in 1939. Although primarily deployed for home defence in Ceylon the CPRC was a source for officer reinforcements, providing an estimated 700 volunteers who were commissioned as officers in the British Army and British Indian Army. Between August 1940 and July 1942, the CPRC dispatched six contingents amounting to 172 soldiers as officer reinforcements to the Officer Training School at Belgaum, India. When Ceylon gained independence from Britain the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps was disbanded on 11 April 1949 along with the Ceylon Defence Force, which led to the formation of the Ceylon Army.

1914/15 Star (L.Cpl. 1/A.N. & M.E.F.), B.W.M. Victory (Lieut. A.N. & M.E.F.), I.G.S. 1908 clasp Malabar 1921-22 ( Sjt. S.P.M. Rif.), 1902 Coronation. Silver, 1911 Delhi Durbar, Volunteer Force L.S.G.C. (VR - S.P.M. Rif.) France, Legion of Honour, 4th class, gilt and enamel, France, Croix de Guerre, Belgium, Croix de Guerre

B.J. Blackett
Belgium Croix de Guerre L.G. 9/7/1918 Lieut. Australian F.C. (one of only 3 to the AFC)
French awards are confirmed in the publication 'Foreign awards to Australia' by Bulow.
'Above the Trenches' Aces book states Basil John Blackett, serving 25 Squadron destroyed a Albatross DV on 5/8/1917 followed by two further DV's out of control both on 3/9/1917. Transferring to 18 Squadron he scored another double on 30/5/1918 when he sent down 2 Fokker DV11s, one destroyed in flames the other out of control. Total score 5.
B. Potters Bar 1886, educ. Eton & Trinity, Cambridge. His papers confirm his 1902 Coronation, possibly as choir or coronation duty with the Bucks Volr. Rifle Corps which his papers show 5 years service by age 20. Played Cricket for Eton 1904-05, Middlesex 2nds 1903 and Public Schools 1904. A tea and rubber planter, in Ceylon and served in the Ceylon Planter's Rifle Corps from 1909. The family website records him as residing in Australia 1914 as professional jockey and racehorse trainer. Enl. August 1914 ANMEF as Pte. 2nd. Lieut 18th Bn. Nov. 1914 served Gallipoli, August 1915. Served France from October 1916, selected for training with the Australian Flying Corps, April 1917 being one of seven observers from 3 AFC dispersed to British Squadrons and attached 25 Squadron and later 18 Sqdn. and 102 AFC 2/1918. In October 1918 he resigned his commission with the AFC and took commission with the RAF in an attempt to get back to a front line squadron. Service terminated in April 1919 he is shown as residing Attikuna Estate, Pundula, and Southern India thereby earning a particularly scarce Malabar to a Volunteer unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1688.jpg (86.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4407.jpg (117.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4408.jpg (117.3 KB, 9 views)