British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-20, 06:13 PM

Default South African Military Nursing Service epaulette?

Could someone please confirm that this a a S.A.M.N.S epaulette? Did any other South African units wear cherry coloured epaulettes?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lud 001.jpg (116.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Lud 002.jpg (91.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-02-20, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Could someone please confirm that this a a S.A.M.N.S epaulette? Did any other South African units wear cherry coloured epaulettes?

Thank you.
Hi,
I can't confirm your suggestion but do have the epaulettes to a WW2 SAMC officer.
Cheers,
Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAMC.jpg (100.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-02-20, 08:34 PM

Thank you, that confirms that the red tab makes it more likely that mine is South African.
Old 02-02-20, 08:39 PM

I have found this for the S.A.N.C.

Regulations Regarding the Distinguishing Devices and Uniforms for Registered Nurses and Midwives and Registered Student Nurses and Student Midwives

The Minister of Health, in terms of section 11(1) of the Nursing Act, Act 69 of 1957, has approved of the following regulations regarding the distinguishing devices and uniforms for registered nurses and midwives and registered student nurses and student midwives, made by the South African Nursing Council in substitution for the regulations published under Government Notice R.937 of 28 June 1963, as amended by Notices R.1641 of 25 October 1963 and R.1285 of 26 August 1966:

1. Except as provided in regulation 7, a registered nurse or midwife shall, in all areas of clinical nursing practice, wear the distinguishing devices consisting of cloth epaulettes of the prescribed colour to which shall be affixed the prescribed badge of the Council and prescribed bars as applicable, unless the Council determines otherwise.

2. The badge of the Council shall be the design appearing below. The badge shall be of silver with the outer lettered border enamelled blue.

3. (1) Epaulettes of the following colours shall be worn by persons registered in the various branches of nursing and as midwives:

General nurse: Dull cherry.
Psychiatric nurse: Navy blue.
Mental nurse: Dark saxe blue.
Nurse for mental defectives: Light saxe blue.
Fever nurse: Yellow.
Sick children's nurse: Mauve.
Midwife: Green.
Old 03-02-20, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post

Thank you.
Confirmed WWII SAMNS nursing sister(Captain) epaulette. See my writeup some time back on the forum... https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=33260
Old 03-02-20, 07:44 AM

Milmed,

many thanks for the confirmation and the link to the very interesting thread.

Simon
Old 26-09-20, 09:26 AM

Good morning,

Some time ago I tried to find out the significance of the red tab worn on epaulettes and I came across the following information about red tabs:

The "red cloth" indicated that the bearer had signed an oath or commitment to serve anywhere in Africa and had therefore volunteered his/her services for the various campaigns in which the South Africans took part during WW2.

Sorry, but I cannot recall now where the above information came from! But I hope that it helps.

Regards
Arthur
Old 26-09-20, 03:45 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the SA Nursing badge and title in my collection. The badge came with the orange ribbon as you see it.

Terry
Old 26-09-20, 06:20 PM

Hello Terry,

Thank you for sharing those two images. I had only come across the red tabs on army battledress.

Regards
Arthur
Old 27-09-20, 02:54 AM

Happy it was helpful Autor. I am suspecting the orange ribbon was removed from a shoulder tab and pinned to the back of the cap badge as a keepsake. But that is speculation on my part. The title was obtained separately, so they do not actually go together as a grouping from one person.

Terry
Old 01-10-20, 07:10 AM

The South African Union Defence Force consisted entirely of volunteers during WW2. The "orange" tab was worn to recognise this. It was worn on both service and field dress as an underlay to the metal shoulder title or stitched to the epaulette. Have attached some examples of the tab being worn in different circumstances for interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain rank slip on a.jpg (58.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Captain rank slip on c.jpg (54.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Lieutenant slip on embroidered pips on red with red tape.jpg (87.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Major SA.jpg (65.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 6th SA Armd Div formation slip on.jpg (58.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 8th Army formation slip on SAEC.jpg (67.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Durban Light Infantry shoulder title 1923 - 1950s.jpg (26.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SA Corps of Sigs shoulder title brass with red tab 1930 - 1959.jpg (49.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SA Medical Corps shoulder title brass with backing 1926 - 1958.jpg (55.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Inf Div field jacket khaki 1941.jpg (43.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 6 SA Armd Div bunny jacket Tvl Scots 1943.jpg (77.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF service tunic Sgt Air Gunner 1942 - 1950s.jpg (37.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish service jacket khaki 3TS arty 1930s - 1950s.jpg (41.9 KB, 7 views)