British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-14, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
The Armour at CAD Kineton did mine with 'Weapon Black' the paint used to touch up or finish weapons that were worn to the metal, as it was hard wearing.

I regard any badge that was worn in service as collectable, be it a Prototype, Issued & Approved, PRI Specials, or sold by the Garrison Militaria Shop. As well as local produced examples such as Indian Cast etc. Badges painted or supplied Black for Service in N.I. included.

Note: My collecting criteria may not be the same or as tightly defined as some! for a start its limited to one Corps! which means easier to research
I believe one makes an individual choice as to what's collectible or not. After all, in many cases what's in this year is out the next.
Old 20-08-14, 05:21 PM

So true, but once its in my collection, its in, if proven to be fake, I still keep it as an example!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 20-08-14, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
So true, but once its in my collection, its in, if proven to be fake, I still keep it as an example!
Best way in my opinion. At least you still get some satisfaction. Others may not agree though.
Old 20-08-14, 05:47 PM

Just had a look for dates regarding 3RTR in Ulster, "The History of the Tank Regiment" states 1973 then a second tour 1974 to 1975 so the black badge must have made an appearance around that time.
Old 20-08-14, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Just had a look for dates regarding 3RTR in Ulster, "The History of the Tank Regiment" states 1973 then a second tour 1974 to 1975 so the black badge must have made an appearance around that time.
I can't remember that far back, I was still a cadet then. All I know for sure is we were wearing gilt badges in 1979, although some units had changed to blackened ones. I transferred to QRIH that year. By 1983 when our first detachment was going to NI as PGF (Maze) they blackened their badges. When I transferred back to the UDR in 85 I was issued one gilt and one blackened badge.
Old 20-08-14, 06:13 PM

My remarks were only intended to refer to QRL

Best wishes

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
On OCA days I have clearly seen brethren of the 8th KRIH wearing a pure black beret (note - pure black, not dark blue) and I'm aware that this was an issue item to all armoured cavalry from 1939 onwards until various regimental colonels started introducing coloured berets.

The Observer Corps wore black berets too, with RAF blue uniforms.

The IRA wear black berets too

EDIT: http://www.1rtr.net/blackberet.html confirms that the entire Royal Armoured Corps wore black berets from 1940 onwards. The current schedule for the wearing of black berets is:

Royal Tank Regiment
W (Westminster Dragoons) Squadron
Royal Yeomanry
Old 20-08-14, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
My remarks were only intended to refer to QRL

Best wishes

Gordon
I don't believe you.