British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-09, 06:30 PM

Default 231st Seaforth Highlanders

Attached pics show a Seaforth Highlanders cap badge I recently picked up. I think that this is a CEF badge for the 231st battalion Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, because of the flat-type lugs punched out of sheet copper. Note the use of FOUR lugs. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on this!
Cheers, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 231st front.jpg (41.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 231st back.jpg (39.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-04-09, 07:29 PM

My opinion - Legit 231st Battalion, manufactured by OB Allan of Vancouver.
Phil
Old 05-04-09, 07:38 PM

It's not unusual to see Scottish badges with stamped out lugs in the UK (albeit usually in brass - cannot recall seeing copper ones before), they tend to be seen on earlier badges IMO and I believe there has been intimations in other threads that they may be subcontractors variations or made for TF.

Also the four lug arrangement is often seen on original Seaforth Highlanders badges.

Hope that helps,

Luke
Old 06-04-09, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the comments Phil and Luke. I'm pleased to have another opinion that this is indeed a 231st as I have been after one for a while and there are so many instances of this pattern!

Interesting to hear about British badges with flat-stamped lugs - anyone have an example? I thought that this type of lug was exclusively Canadian!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 06-04-09, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Ian,

I have a Royal Scots regt badge with flat lugs. I don't think there is a Canadian unit that wore it. I have also seen them on Black Watch and other (British) Scottish regt badges.

Alan
Old 06-04-09, 02:54 PM

Thanks Alan. Are your Royal Scots lugs brass or copper? Cheers, Ian.
Old 06-04-09, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think that they (actually one is missing) were brass.

Alan
Old 25-04-09, 11:26 PM

Default 231st Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Attached pics show a Seaforth Highlanders cap badge I recently picked up. I think that this is a CEF badge for the 231st battalion Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, because of the flat-type lugs punched out of sheet copper. Note the use of FOUR lugs. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on this!
Cheers, Ian.
Hello Ian,

I was always told 3 lugs for sure was a genuine CEF badge for sure! 4lugs??? I am not to sure!
Old 26-04-09, 02:19 PM

Default Saeforths Badge

4 lugs is good for a WW1 badge. 3 Lugs (usually rounded) more likely Pictou Highlanders from WW2 whereas 2 lugs is always a UK Seaforths badge, often offered as a Canadian badge, but worth far less.

Have had British badges with flat lugs also, so this is not exclusively Canadian.

The badge pictured looks a bit "bright" on the back so would be cautious on saying it's original without seeing it. Wonder if it's flexible ?
Old 27-04-09, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmedals View Post
The badge pictured looks a bit "bright" on the back so would be cautious on saying it's original without seeing it. Wonder if it's flexible ?
The badge is not very flexible if I try to bend it along the banner - moves slightly but springs back. Be easy enough to bend the horns, though, as they are quite thin!

The front of the badge is not shiny, might just be the pic. The back is a little shiny but I don't think that's too unusual? Lugs look the age and the quality and detail of the striking is very good.

Cheers, Ian.

Tags
231st, cef, highlanders, seaforth