British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-23, 02:56 PM

Default Unusual Irish Sweetheart

I recently purchased this sweetheart at auction and I’m hoping someone can help with identifying the regiment.

It is 2.5 cms in diameter with a brooch pin fitting and it looks old. Probably WW1 or 1920’s. No manufacturer mark. It came with a North Irish Horse sweetheart but I’m sure if that’s relevant.

I know several Irish Regiments used an angel harp and crown on their insignia but I’ve not seen this example before.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards
Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2630.jpg (117.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-06-23, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybershot View Post
I recently purchased this sweetheart at auction and I’m hoping someone can help with identifying the regiment.

It is 2.5 cms in diameter with a brooch pin fitting and it looks old. Probably WW1 or 1920’s. No manufacturer mark. It came with a North Irish Horse sweetheart but I’m sure if that’s relevant.

I know several Irish Regiments used an angel harp and crown on their insignia but I’ve not seen this example before.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards
Bob.
Found an Artillery version described as WW2 :

Quote:
Second World War, Sweetheart Brooch, Small Pin, Enameled Brooch, Royal Artillery,
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1272...0%3A1272598565

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Artillery.jpg (9.7 KB, 21 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-06-23, 09:36 PM

Hi Mike
Thanks for that information.
Regards
Bob
Old 06-06-23, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards
Bob.
The Angel harp in that simple configuration (without any scroll) is the heraldic symbol used on British Royal banners and other ancillary regalia and clothing as representing Ireland as a whole, and so isn’t necessarily military at all. It goes back several centuries with just the crown changing according to reign and originally marked the joining of Ireland with the British crown under the overall act of Union.

From a purely military perspective in Britain, it has tended to be used as insignia where a unit is related to Ireland, appearing on regimental colours, pipe banners, and later on metal insignia. For that reason it was chosen as the badge of the multi-battalion North Irish Brigade (and later Royal Irish Rangers) with a simple scroll added, and without a scroll by the Ulster Defence Regiment and more recently by the contemporary Royal Irish Regiment.

As regimental iconography it competed in a seemingly random way with the Harp of Eireann and if the historical insignia of disbanded and antecedent regiments like the Royal Irish Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Royal Irish Rifles and the old Royal Irish Regiment** is examined it’s possible to see both versions of the harp used intermittently throughout the centuries. Significantly though, whenever a regiment was listed as being awarded “The Harp and Crown” to appear on its colours, it is commonly the Angel version of the harp that is used.

**formerly 18th Regiment of Foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8100.jpeg (42.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8101.jpeg (29.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8102.jpeg (21.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8103.jpeg (17.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8104.jpeg (23.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8105.jpg (91.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8106.jpg (78.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8108.jpeg (54.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-06-23 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-06-23, 11:23 AM

Hi
Toby many thanks for the interesting information about the Angel Harp & Crown.

I found a photo of a 4th Royal Irish Dragoons button converted into a sweetheart using a similar circlet to the RA sweetheart Mike shows in his post. 4th Dragoons amalgamated with the 7th Dragoons in 1922.

I’m guessing that this enamel circle with a different regimental insignia (either badge or button) would have been produced in large quantities during WW1 or as an Old Comrades Association lapel badge after the war.

The manufacturer probably used the same die with different coloured enamels for a range of regiments.

Although without proper records this will be hard to verify.

Many thanks

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0463.jpg (77.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-06-23, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Hi
Toby many thanks for the interesting information about the Angel Harp & Crown.

I found a photo of a 4th Royal Irish Dragoons button converted into a sweetheart using a similar circlet to the RA sweetheart Mike shows in his post. 4th Dragoons amalgamated with the 7th Dragoons in 1922.

I’m guessing that this enamel circle with a different regimental insignia (either badge or button) would have been produced in large quantities during WW1 or as an Old Comrades Association lapel badge after the war.

The manufacturer probably used the same die with different coloured enamels for a range of regiments.

Although without proper records this will be hard to verify.

Many thanks

Bob.
Hello Bob, yes I think that you’re absolutely right that it’s a common circlet that could be modified to incorporate the insignia of many different regiments.
Old 31-07-23, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Hello Bob, yes I think that you’re absolutely right that it’s a common circlet that could be modified to incorporate the insignia of many different regiments.
Just spotted an RMLI one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMLI.jpg (88.0 KB, 9 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-07-23, 07:32 AM

Hi,

You will probably find that this circlet design had multiple uses from sweetheart brooches to generic jewellery that might have, say, a Mizpah emblem applied or any other device.

Colours for the enamel were probably about as varied as the Dulux colour chart...
Old 31-07-23, 08:54 AM

Interesting to note that the harp was a symbol of resistance against the English and was banned, harpists were to be hung and the harps to be burned

T
Old 09-08-23, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Interesting to note that the harp was a symbol of resistance against the English and was banned, harpists were to be hung and the harps to be burned

T
Do you have a reference for you claim? Who, when,where?