British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-08, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default New Brunswick Uni OTC

Working on some COTC images elsewhere on the site at the moment, coincidentally spotted this on eBay

Possible Military Badge

being an expert now on Canadian OTC i recon it's COTC 10

Last edited by Mike; 01-11-08 at 05:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-11-08, 05:26 PM
Administrator

he also has one of these

kosher?? any nasty copies about?
Old 01-11-08, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

The Irish Regiment kc is quite a common badge.
COTC badges do not have a great following in Canada, but some of them are difficult to find. The UNB is not a difficult badge.
Old 01-11-08, 05:46 PM
Administrator

What kind of price range Bill for COTC (removing the extremes)?
Old 01-11-08, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Seller may be worth watching though as he has a few items listed, maybe about to pull out a jem....

thing is he's not shipping out of the UK, so you will just have to let me have it if he does
Old 01-11-08, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

heh heh heh
Don't know how you can see the badges, the vendor's images suck. I need a telephoto lens to see what some of them are.

Most COTC badges range $5 - $15. The Osgoode Hall and is quite scarce and would be a couple of hundred depending on the interested parties. Some of the COTC badges were also connected to the CEF and are collected for that area, and some had several different patterns due to changes.
Old 01-11-08, 09:35 PM
Administrator

definitely not the greatest pics in the world. could be a cotc badge or maybe a beefburger.

Bill, regarding cadets badges & Mazeas - he appears to have two cadets badges illustrated, numbered CD2 and CD9 .... am I missing something? was he aware of a few more but didn't bother to add them?

or was there an update to the work that filled in the numerical gaps?

(I've emailed Bill Ellis about this but I think he's having a weekend off with camera fatigue)

anyway here's one "not in mazeas" - is this cadets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd.jpg (81.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-11-08, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, Which Mazeas are you working from? In the Pre-1914 book he has 63 cadet badges sequentially numbered and illustrated. Included in that list is CD 322, Academie de la Salle Cadet Corps No 211.
Old 02-11-08, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Im using the one as illustrated in the glossary (no publishing date)

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/arm...ary/mazeas.jpg

the two Cadets badges are stuck on the end of the "services" chapter.

I don't have the pre 1914 badge book, but I guess the badges that survived into the 1920-50 period are the CD2 and 9 from the pre 1914 book which explains it. The "not in Mazeas" badge above should therefore not be illustrated on our registry page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd2.jpg (61.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CD.9,light plastic.jpg (60.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-11-08, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, The first badge, CD2 is the officer's badge for cadet services (Cadet Instructor List), while the CD9 is the general issue kc cap badge for army cadets. It was worn by any cadet corps which did not have another approved badge. In other words the 211 Cadet Corps had an authorized cap badge and would likely be permited to continue the use, "at no expense to the public". Mazeas has confused the issue by putting two catalogue numbers in for these badges. In the 1914 book, CD 2 is actually listed as CD1, and CD 9 is the 21st Galt Collegiate Institute Cadet Corps. I have no idea why he used CD 2 and CD 9 as catalogue numbers in the second book. (Further note, he lists the Royal Canadian Army Cadet titles as embroidered and canvas. There is no canvas title for the cadets, and any found should be treated as fantasy pieces.)
Army cadet corps organizations exploded in number during the war. They were organized in most high schools, and were issued uniforms and participated in basic military training, like drill, shooting, and other basic military skills. Most of these cadet corps were not associated with existing cadet corps or militia units, and most did not have the resources to acquire insignia at their expense. The government, supporting the cadet organizations, supplied the uniforms and insignia at public expense. Mazeas likely inlcuded these badges as they were the commonly encountered cadet badges from the 1940's.

Last edited by Bill A; 02-11-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 06:57 PM

Default re cadets

The 211 La Salle badge is a cadet badge, circa 1915. A reminder of this link for all cadet stuff (I'm pretty sure it was posted on the forum previously).

Like Bill A says, almost all COTC badges can be found in the $5-$12 CDN range, with a few exceptions. In addition to the Osgoode Hall badge he mentioned ($475-$500), there is the French version Royal Military College ($90 last I saw sell), St. Mary's College ($70-$110) which then became St. Mary's University in '44 ($40), University of Ottawa ($20-$40), Acadia ($25-$27). Prices are my jottings of ebay 'sold' prices from the last couple of years.

Mazeas doesn't show one COTC badge, Ontario Agricultural & Veterinarian College.

Finally, there are a couple I've never seen offered for sale, from Mazeas, the Laval University Contingent badge (COTC 12) and the La Salle Contingent badge (COTC 13), so I don't have any idea of those values.
Old 02-11-08, 07:40 PM

Hello gents, David what about the very elusive Mont-St-Louis COTC.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-11-08, 07:48 PM

Be careful with University of Ottawa as there are reproductions out there.

Phil
Old 02-11-08, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hello gents, David what about the very elusive Mont-St-Louis COTC.
Jo
Jo:
Figures I'd miss one or two. I've only ever seen one MSL COTC sell, cast gilt, $227 or thereabouts. For reference, this badge looks much the same as #30 Mount St. Louis Cadet Regiment badge (pictured on the cadet badges link posted last message), except instead of the "30" over intertwined "MSL" it only has intertwined "MSL" in the shield, and "C.O.T.C." in the scroll, rather than "CADETS". The cadet badge is only a $10 badge.
Old 05-11-08, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

David, Something had been bugging me about the 211 Academie de la Salle cadet badge. It just struck me, there is a very strong similarity between the 211 Cadet Corps and the 57th Battalion "Canadiens Francais". The 57th came from the Quebec City area and the cadets were from Ottawa. I wonder if there was any connection between the two in some way?

Tags
cadet badges, mazeas