British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-15, 08:09 PM
Former Member

Abdominal Mostrosity

Why on earth have they replaced the Motto with a Casper???

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 05-05-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 12:03 AM

Looks like an egg head!
David
Old 06-05-15, 07:01 AM

Thank you for posting this image.

I think some comments have been a little scathing.

It may be disappointing to some, but IMO the basic design is good.

Granted its proportions could do with some adjustment, but its early days and this is the 1st pat.

I'm sure the relevant adjustments will be made as the New Regiment evolves.

Rome was not built in a day!

Cheers
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 06-05-15, 08:26 AM
Former Member

Rob,
Whilst I admit my comments may be harsh and I assure you with no disrespect to any of the former component Regiments, getting a design changed once it is in production is not an easy task and the "Nuggets" who sat on the Regimental dress committee which approved this, what can only be described as a Monstrosity need a bloody good shaking IMO and sent to the Regimental Naughty Step. This falls into the same sphere of quality as some of the shocking blazer badges that were subject of a thread here no that long back.

* The lances look more like yard brush handles
* The Bones are dreadful and would look more at home in the hands of Fred Flintstone
* The pennons are like a couple of inflated pillowcases

And the Spooky Skull has already received ample critism

The design put forward by the Regtl Association is far more ascetically pleasing!

Personally I think they should bin it and start again as it looks awful!

Andy
Old 06-05-15, 08:27 AM

Default Lancers

Well seeing as most of you will never wear it or have worn the Motto I cant see the big upset. From a 17th/21st and QRL perspective Or Glory stays and the motto has gone through many changes and I can see minor tweaks happening to this one. I like many others including Rob like it and having seen it first hand being worn it looks very very smart infact 17th/21st in the 1980s had a French grey sweatshirt with a very similar motto design .

I had to listen to some distain from the old and bold web sites but 17th/21st did quiet well including mess dress which has gone back to blue and white with the red cuffs and collars the only change from the old 17th.

Rgs Mac
Old 06-05-15, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Thank you for posting this image.

I think some comments have been a little scathing.

It may be disappointing to some, but IMO the basic design is good.

Granted its proportions could do with some adjustment, but its early days and this is the 1st pat.

I'm sure the relevant adjustments will be made as the New Regiment evolves.

Rome was not built in a day!

Cheers
Rob
Rob,

That is the problem with the MoD and the Government generally. They rarely get anything right first time! As a result thousands of pounds are wasted. The amalgamation is (I suspect) designed to reduce cost. A large part of that saving will be swallowed up in an "image change" for the new regiment. Yes, "....relevant adjustments will be made as the new regiment evolves". And the cost will be mind blowing at the end of the day. Rant over!

As an aside, looking at the photos of the event HM attended, its interesting how many young "Ruperts" (and some not so young) consciously alter their headgear (removing all the stiffening) in such a way as to cover the Queen's crown on their cap badges (in some cases nearly the whole badge) with the front of their caps. Most disrespectful in my view. May as well save some cash and not give them a badge. The image they present (to me anyway) is that of a council bus driver. I suspect that at some point in the distant past an individual decided that to wear his cap in such a way rendered to him a look of being "very cool". Is that tradition? If so, I wonder who started it?

Dave.
Old 06-05-15, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

dave

The cutting of a regt by merging 2 into one will save hundreds of thousands of pounds so a few thousand on new uniforms and badges will pale into insignificance.

As for the hats it's 'cavalry crush' and a tradition. Whilst this shaping is an affection does at least make them look like cavalry officers rather than some Corps' officers with their stiffened hats;which are more reminiscent of post office employees of yesterday.
Old 06-05-15, 10:26 AM

I have no affiliation with the Royal Lancers or its ancestors, and have followed discussions re 'The Motto' on here.

At the end of the day it is the Regiment that will say if they like the new badge or not, and perhaps it will evolve in the future.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-05-15, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
dave

The cutting of a regt by merging 2 into one will save hundreds of thousands of pounds so a few thousand on new uniforms and badges will pale into insignificance.

As for the hats it's 'cavalry crush' and a tradition. Whilst this shaping is an affection does at least make them look like cavalry officers rather than some Corps' officers with their stiffened hats;which are more reminiscent of post office employees of yesterday.
Alan,

Thank you. Maybe a tradition but if by doing so you obscure the Crown, indeed half of the badge then it seems a pointless one. Also, looking at the photos not all officers appear to follow it. As such you have no uniformity and hence look a shambles in my opinion. Also, if its a "cavalry crush" all cavalry regiments don't appear to follow it. Eg. Life Guards plus Blues & Royals. Very odd! But I suppose its all a matter of opinion.

Dave.
Old 06-05-15, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Dave

The Household Cavalry are part of the Household division and follow the smarter traditions of the Guards Regts.

The whole point of regtl dress 'traditions' in the Army is not to be 'uniform'. Hence the oddly coloured jumpers, strange trousers and perculiar badges.
The RAF hate it.

Alan
Old 06-05-15, 11:55 AM

Is it not Part I Orders that cavalry officers must not be dressed the same when in a group? ....
Old 06-05-15, 12:10 PM

I'm afraid if I were ex 9th/12th or 16th/5th I wouldn't be very happy about the badge/motto of the 17th being the main component of the new badge.
Old 06-05-15, 12:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Waterhouse View Post
Is it not Part I Orders that cavalry officers must not be dressed the same when in a group? ....
Ben,
Part One Orders are Daily (Regular) Orders which relate to day to day routine and disciplinary matters, a little like the village notice board!

Dress Regulations/Orders of Dress (OOD) would be contained is Standing Orders!

However you are correct in that some Line Cavalry Regiments there is an "Unwritten" rule that officers should be anomalous! I have seen officers from some Cav Regts return to their rooms to change having gone down to the dinning room for breakfast and found one of their fellow Regtl officers wearing the same or a similar OOD .. This however is all part of what the ethos and traditions of the British Army are built upon, these quirks or personalities tend to be for daily OOD and when on parade and in "Full Dress", "Uniformity" is almost always adhered to! I suspect the multitude of different Orders seen at the amalgamation event are probably down to the lack of supply of the "New Uniforms"?

That said the badge/Motto is still rubbish IMO lol!

Andy
Old 06-05-15, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Waterhouse View Post
Andy is correct about the 17/21L officers practice of changing if they were dressed the same. the only rule was that you could not wear your Barrack dress pullover with DPM trousers. Apart from that any combination of items went.

I suspect the differences you see in the parade photos is because some are wearing QRL uniform, others 9th/12th and a third bunch have got the new RL uniforms.
Old 06-05-15, 01:21 PM

What badge have they chosen for the collar badge?

David