British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-08, 04:44 PM

Mike, Maybe your father & you can journey down to Calgary this April to take part in the Military Collectors' Club of Canada's Convention which is being held in conjunction with the Easter Gun & Militaria Show. 700 tables!!!!! That way you can meet Bill in person & compare notes etc!

For more info, those who are interested can visit the clubs website at : http://www.mccofc.org/

For those in the Calgary area, please consider putting up a display as the joint Convention & show will be pulling in some dealers from across Canada who don't normally attend the show!

Jaime
Old 20-12-08, 12:48 AM

Default Elgin Trench Art

Michael,

I have heard mention of this piece at the Elgin museum several times now and I am very curious to see it. If any one has a picture I'd appreciate seeing what it looks like!?

Also, one of my Dad's kangaroo buddies lives just north of London in Lucan, I try to visit him when I am out in Ontario. Next time I am going out that way I'll let you know and take you up on the offer. I would like very much to see the museum.

Bill.
Old 20-12-08, 01:15 AM

I,ll try and gig up the photo of the trench art Bill,and of course would be happy to show you all the local sites at your convenience.I think my dad went up and saw the gentleman in question a few weeks back.He really enjoyed talking with him and mentioned the connection with your father.
Small world eh? M.
Old 20-12-08, 08:53 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reintjes View Post
"In the small print:"

"PLEASE NOTE A MINI CONTROVERSY STILL RAGES REGARDING WHICH OF THE TWO BADGES IS THAT MADE DURING THE WAR, AND THAT STRUCK POST WAR, DESPITE THE MAZEAS OPINION AND THAT OF OTHERS. EQUAL AND OPPOSITE OPINIONS BY NOTED COLLECTORS. I BELIEVE THIS BADGE WITH THE EAR, PAW AND ROUNDED O AS OPPOSED TO THE OVAL O IS THE ORIGINAL. "

A few problems with his theory....The oval O badge has been found numerous times in the possession of vets, on period trench art, and with worn uniforms, versus the fact that the Round O badge was available to me by the bagfull at 1 Pound sterling each back in the early 80's along with bags of Para Regt and various other Special Air service type badges....all of them in huge quantity and all of them repros. But, I guess if you want to believe it bad enough,it can become fact to some......
There is no controvesy Mike, Everyone knows the original badge is the oval O type even those that speak up for the round O & notice they are mostly if not all sellers, These are far too plentiful for a tiny late forming unit, Ray
Old 20-12-08, 09:37 PM

Mike, Maybe your father & you can journey down to Calgary this April to take part in the Military Collectors' Club of Canada's Convention which is being held in conjunction with the Easter Gun & Militaria Show. 700 tables!!!!! That way you can meet Bill in person & compare notes etc!

Great Idea Jaime....I may be going to Holland to see the boys but if I don't go then maybe ajaunt out to Calgary with Dad would be a great time....Now you've got me thinking...M.