British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-17, 08:20 AM
jamesmilitaria

Question RAF Good Conduct Badge/Chevron

Good day Folks

A question.

An old RAF veteran in the village is trying to put together an RAF uniform. He tells me that he was entitled to a Good Conduct Chevron worn low down on the sleeve. He tells me that these were issued but that after the war their use was discontinued. He also says that his memory isn't that good now so he may be mistaking it for something else.

Can anyone confirm the existence of these and if his memory is correct where can I get one for him?

Many thanks

James
Old 02-03-17, 09:20 AM

They definitely existed. It was a single chevron worn point uppermost on the lower left sleeve. They were the same size and style as normal NCOs chevrons. Wartime pattern would have been worn on a very dark navy/black background as opposed to the post wore NCOs chevrons which were worn on an RAF blue/grey background.
Not to be confused with War Service chevrons which were miniature red chevrons worn point uppermost on the right arm.
The Good Conduct badge was introduced in 1920 and was confined to Airmen below the rank of Substantive Corporal.
So, effectively, it looks like an RAF version of a Lance Corporal chevron worn point uppermost on the left arm, the point being 7 1/2" inches above the cuff. probably easier to obtain a Corporal's chevrons and cut it down ?
PL
Old 02-03-17, 06:38 PM
jamesmilitaria

Thanks PL
Very helpful. So basically it was an inverted L/Cpl chevron but slightly smaller if I understand you correctly on a dark blue ground for a wartime version.

Many thanks

James
Old 02-03-17, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria View Post
Thanks PL
Very helpful. So basically it was an inverted L/Cpl chevron but slightly smaller if I understand you correctly on a dark blue ground for a wartime version.

Many thanks

James
No, same size as a Lance Corporal chevron, cut a Corporals chevrons in half (between the chevrons) and you'll have two GC badges
PL
Old 02-03-17, 06:59 PM
jamesmilitaria

Like this?

The stripe is an inverted L/cpl's stripe

In wear on an old wedding photo I found

Thanks

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l200.jpg (5.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (51.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-03-17, 04:05 PM

Yes, my father had one. There are at least two uniforms in the collection at East Kirby with the badges. TE Lawrence [of Arabia] was a recipient.

The following from an article that I wrote:

With its antecedents of the Royal Engineers and the Royal Flying Corps, both of them army formations, it seems inevitable that long-serving soldiers who made the full transition to the Royal Air Force in 1918 would have brought with them some Good Conduct badges. The formal RAF introduction was by Air Ministry Order 720 of 12th August 1920, with up to three available. The badges were to be worn in the same manner as the army, but it was not until two years later that they were confined to ranks below substantive corporal. No less a character than TE Lawrence, under the pseudonym of Aircraftsman TE Shaw qualified for his first badge 12th March 1925, and his second on 12th March 1931. Unless his previous army service counted, we might deduce that these were awarded for two and eight years. To complete this digression, King’s Regulations and Air Council Instructions 1940 gave the periods as three, eight and thirteen years, and the awards were still being made through the Second World War.
Old 08-03-17, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria View Post
Like this?

The stripe is an inverted L/cpl's stripe

In wear on an old wedding photo I found

Thanks

James
Of course the RAF did not have LCpls then, so no LCpl's chevron, so no chance of wearing it the right way up or indeed upside down.