British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-10, 10:17 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default A bit off topic but it is puzzling me

I have just watched the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan and was puzzled to see weapons wrapped in what appeared to be clear polythene bags. Is this hostorically correct?
Matti
Old 28-02-10, 10:48 PM

Me too.
Tony.
Old 28-02-10, 11:07 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Since when have film makers been historical or correct ??

How many six guns have you seen fire twenty rounds etc, etc, etc.

Dave.
Old 28-02-10, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
I have just watched the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan and was puzzled to see weapons wrapped in what appeared to be clear polythene bags. Is this hostorically correct?
Matti
I thought they only put johnnies over the muzzles.
Old 28-02-10, 11:21 PM

Default Spileberg

I can't imagine Steven Spielberg who's attention to detail in his films is forensic making such a crass mistake. They must have had such items or he wouldn't have gratuitously included them....
Old 28-02-10, 11:33 PM

They existed- http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page31.html
Old 01-03-10, 08:41 AM

There was a debate about this when the film was being made and in After the Battle Magazine Number 103 is a quote "Spielberg believed that plastic bags had not been invented in 1944 but there is written and photographic evidence. Pfc John Barnet of Company A, 1st Battalion 116th Infantry, records that "our rifles were wrapped in aprotective cellophane wrapper with an inflated tube to keep them afloat".
Old 01-03-10, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I wonder why the fictional character that lacked courage was named 'Upham' - Spielberg's must have been aware of Charles Upham VC & bar, the commonwealth's most highly decorated soldier for courage in WW2? why didn't he pick something else for a surname? It's not like it's a common surname.

And the reference to Montgomery being 'overrated' ??

Spielberg getting a few digs at the allies? a bit of propaganda 50 years late or my paranoia?

Charles Upham

Timothy Upham
Old 01-03-10, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mike;61614]I wonder why the fictional character that lacked courage was named 'Upham' - Spielberg's must have been aware of Charles Upham VC & bar, the commonwealth's most highly decorated soldier for courage in WW2? why didn't he pick something else for a surname? It's not like it's a common surname.

And the reference to Montgomery being 'overrated' ??

Spielberg getting a few digs at the allies? a bit of propaganda 50 years late or my paranoia?

QUOTE]

It was the same in Band of Brothers. During the briefing for Market Garden when it's announced it's a British led operation there are groans all around. Anyway, it's common knowlege that the U.S won the war.
Old 01-03-10, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It was the same in Band of Brothers. During the briefing for Market Garden when it's announced it's a British led operation there are groans all around. Anyway, it's common knowlege that the U.S won the war.
Yes it's interesting 'who won the war?' question, of course it was a team effort, but probably the most underestimated and least discussed contribution and sacrifice (in the west anyway) came from Russia.
Anyway you got me thinking about critical turning points in the war, (or any war), always an interesting subject, most important for WW2 in my opinion was the Battle of Britain. Failure would have seen the probable success of operation Sealion, Britain under the jackboot, waiting on a combined Russian and US drive westwards through mainland Europe. (Assuming peace had not been declared with the 1000 year Reich.)

So before the US even entered the the war the critical success - the Battle of Britain had taken place, thus allowing the Normandy invasion to become a possibility. - So I'm saying a small bunch of Commonwealth pilots actually won the war. ( ok with a sprinkling of US and other nationals)
Old 01-03-10, 03:38 PM
Administrator

An even smaller group creating a turning point in history:

less than a dozen individuals? upon which the entire history of Europe and the World rotated in a few minutes.

exciting stuff.
Old 01-03-10, 03:49 PM
Administrator

anyway gone off topic a bit there:

Moisture proof cellophane in use from 1927

Wiki

Old 01-03-10, 04:01 PM

Mike, Keith, et. al.:

First, I am an American, served in the US Army and am fairly conversant in its history. Until today I had no idea who Charles Upham is. Can you name his American equivalent? I doubt that many Americans can today. Anyone who has served has to respect courage. A VC w/bar is beyond respect. Awe is a better word. Why Upham, not Smith or Jones, you will have to ask Speilberg. As for Monty - one requirement to be a general officer is to have an ego that is larger than normal. The senior allied generals in Europe under Eisenhower all met this requirement. Montgomery was not well thought of by most of the Americans, as well as some of the British. Only BG Gavin, to my knowledge, had anything good to say about him in Gavin's memoirs. Any general can be criticized. Having never been in that position I tend to be slow to do so. One thing non-American readers should remember is that, when the American generals got done blasting Monty, they tended to start on each other. To command at his level you must have the courage of your convictions. He did. He also had the strength of character to set them aside for the common cause. I find much to admire about Field Marshall Montgomery.

As far as our wining the war... If I had made such a statement during the war Ike would have sent me home. Well, maybe not at my level, but you get the idea. The only thing worse than having to fight with allies is having to fight without them. Was that Churchill? The thing to remember is that we, the allies, won. A good thing, I think.

Don
Old 01-03-10, 04:27 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Very nicely put Don.

Regards.

Dave.
Old 01-03-10, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Mike, Keith, et. al.:

First, I am an American, served in the US Army and am fairly conversant in its history. Until today I had no idea who Charles Upham is. Can you name his American equivalent? I doubt that many Americans can today. Anyone who has served has to respect courage. A VC w/bar is beyond respect. Awe is a better word. Why Upham, not Smith or Jones, you will have to ask Speilberg. As for Monty - one requirement to be a general officer is to have an ego that is larger than normal. The senior allied generals in Europe under Eisenhower all met this requirement. Montgomery was not well thought of by most of the Americans, as well as some of the British. Only BG Gavin, to my knowledge, had anything good to say about him in Gavin's memoirs. Any general can be criticized. Having never been in that position I tend to be slow to do so. One thing non-American readers should remember is that, when the American generals got done blasting Monty, they tended to start on each other. To command at his level you must have the courage of your convictions. He did. He also had the strength of character to set them aside for the common cause. I find much to admire about Field Marshall Montgomery.

As far as our wining the war... If I had made such a statement during the war Ike would have sent me home. Well, maybe not at my level, but you get the idea. The only thing worse than having to fight with allies is having to fight without them. Was that Churchill? The thing to remember is that we, the allies, won. A good thing, I think.

Don
I do agree Don, my comments were tongue in cheek. It's Hollywood we should be blasting as for years and years films have had to have an American star to make them sell overseas (Battle of Britain, Dambusters, etc) and then the re-witing of history (The U-Boat/Enigma film whaterver that was called).