British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-08, 03:03 AM

Default History of the British Army Infantry Collar Badge

Hi Fellas,

Found this on ebay. Thought I would share it with you. I am in no way affiliated with this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-History-of-t...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like he/she may ship only to the U.S. you may want to ask if he/she ships worldwide.

Michael

Last edited by ard-ri; 26-07-08 at 04:51 AM.
Old 26-07-08, 04:59 AM

nice and interesting book, but picture are not very nice (very dark )
Old 26-07-08, 09:09 AM
David Douglas

Default History of .... etc.

This would be a very good book if the illustrations were clearer. I can't understand how someone could go to press with such inferior illustrations. Also this eBay seller is so restrictive about who can or cannot buy from him - a complete waste of time unless you are in 48 (not 50) states of the US. I suppose it is possible that this is a reprint of the original book and the illustrations have suffered in the process. Regards. David
Old 26-07-08, 10:03 AM

Colin Churchill had completed his book some considerable time before it was eventually published and I have to agree that some of the illustrations let down an otherwise excellent book ( a number of the Kings Regt badges illustrated are in fact from my collection )

Ray Westlake I seem to recall announced the book was about to be published about 4 years before it eventually was . I think there was difficulty in finding a publisher and dont forget we are talking about a time before digital photography was in general use.My edition is 2001,l I dont know if it has been reprinted.

One wonders if the illustrations in Kipling and King might have been superior if the book had been compiled in the digital age.

Sadly I cannot see anyone else compiling similar books in the future.

P.B.

P.S. I have just noticed that the copy of this book on E bay is a paperback edition dated 2002

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 26-07-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 09:16 AM
BLIZZARD

Unhappy Naval & military

All these books which have been re-printed by Naval & military press seem to be the same the re-print of Stacks history of the Worcestershire Reiment in the great war is the same let down by the pictures, They have re-printed Harveys VC books and Kipling and Kings badge books are these the same?
BLIZZARD
Old 03-08-08, 10:08 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
All these books which have been re-printed by Naval & military press seem to be the same the re-print of Stacks history of the Worcestershire Reiment in the great war is the same let down by the pictures, They have re-printed Harveys VC books and Kipling and Kings badge books are these the same?
BLIZZARD
Blizzard,
I had original Vol1/2 of KK's - Vol2 "got lost" somewhere between the UK and Oman - and I ordered another Vol2. First thing of note was the picture quality - and the publisher on the original copy was Muller. Vol2 is - as you have mentioned - N&M. The pictures are far inferior - even some of those that have been "copied over" from Vo1. I cannot understand why the film industry can fix very old B&W films - the same technology is around - I use very cheap software to enhance pictures. I know someone is going to mention that, if the source material is bad, its garbage in, garbage out etc. This is not quite true these days - 20 years ago, yes. But not now. They just can't be bothered to do the work.
I certainly DO NOT think that the price charged for Vol2 was reasonable, at all.
Old 05-08-08, 02:29 AM

Received the book today. I see what you mean about some of the photo's being quite dark, still....has some good info in it.

Michael