British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-09, 01:51 PM

The Womens Army Auxillary Corps-but was it not a WW1 unit ?

P.B.

Most interesting well illustrated article in Crown Imperial No 94 Spring 1999 entitled "Les Tommettes" all about WW1 female Auxilaries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9655.jpg (27.8 KB, 28 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 22-02-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 22-02-09, 02:15 PM

There are versions of the 1926 King's Regt cap badges that have been "chromed". I have a few one of which has a duller tarnish than the others which led me to think it might have had more of a nickel content in the "plating" - but I will read the links that Jo has posted.
I was told that for the King's at least, such badges were chromed "for the coronation". I assumed 1953 rather than 1937 !?
Julian
Old 22-02-09, 02:47 PM
Administrator

another from the junk treasure box . slightly worse for wear GVI engineers. could believe this is WW2 vintage.

Old 22-02-09, 05:56 PM

Cool Chromed badges

I am afraid I have to go with Peter on this, the WAAC formed in 1917 which became Queen Mary's in 1918 could not have any attachments to RAC personnel as the RAC were not formed until 1939. This puts my earlier theory of Chromium plating being used in the 1920's aside, unless the WAAC badge was chromed at a later date.
Old 22-02-09, 06:25 PM

Default Chromed badges

Somewhere I recall another theory being espoused. According to the law nobody except serving servicemen may wear uniform or badges of HM Forces (Goodness alone knows how re-enacters get away with it though). Chromed cap/beret badges were produced in order that ex-servicemen could wear them legally. i.e. at British Legion or Remembrance Day services.
Now I've checked mine and have the following (all have slider or lugs except where noted):
1 QDG
13 London (Kensingtons)
Army Depot Police FARELF
Bedfs & Herts Regt.
Cambs Regt
DLI (QC)
East Anglian Bde (screw posts. Came from a Gaunt manufactured car sign)
Essex Regt
Herts Regt (KC. Possibly ACF NCO's as ACF officers also wore silver gilt: 1 Bn wore gold gilt)
Leicestershire Regt (pre Royal)
Leicester & Derby Yeomanry (RAC unit. Attributed to SNCO's)
Manchester Regt (Fleur-de-Lys)
Middlesex Regt
Northants Regt
Northumberland Hussars (KC)
RA. (KC large gun)
RA. (QC smal gun)
RAOC (KC pre 1947)
RAMC (KC)
RASC (GviR with GvR cypher!)
Recce
RE (GviR)
REME (4 shields)
RTR (KC)
Surprised myself how many I have tucked away.
Regards, Stephen.
Old 24-02-09, 11:53 AM

Default Interesting?

I have a number of chromed and WM Bays badges and recently took ownership of a post 38 KDG badge which is GM with slider and chromed. The common theory was that these were 'Bandsman’s Badges'. However I was always a bit sceptical and recently I contacted all the surviving Bandsmen from the 40's and 50's and asked them the Q "Did you ever wear a Chromed or WM or Silvery badge during your time"? To which the universal reply from all that served between 1946 (when the band was re-formed) till 1959 was No we only wore the "brass" badge. I continue to try and find someone pre WW2 but I'm afraid they are dropping like flies now!
I do have a Bays badge produced in N Africa during WW2 as a 'replacement' badge which along with a similar order for RTR badges was dipped in WM. This badge was worn by those that needed it until a proper GM badge was procured. But this badge is VERY basic and looks like it was produced at the side of a track (which it probably was!).
I also have some chromed KDG (later pattern) Titles which i picked out of the 'junk box' in the Regt'l museum. These were most certainly produced for some parade or other as a one off, perhaps the Qtr Gd on some Royal Visit or other.
Having read the thread so far I am tempted to go with the idea of a RBL approved Veterans badge noted in the thread above..... Can someone flesh the bones out?
I know a 92 year old Bay who won the DCM at Coriano Ridge. He wears such a badge at re-unions and when asked why he wore it said "I like it" but had no idea where he got it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bays Chromed.jpg (91.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Bays Chromed Rear.jpg (54.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Bays War Issue.jpg (66.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Bays War Issue Rear.jpg (48.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 28-02-09, 07:27 PM

Default Suffolk & Middlesex Chromed badges

I have just acquired a small collection of badges with a chromed Suffolk and a chromed Middlesex. The Suffolk has no fixings and the Middlesex has a brooched clip, made for a sweetheart no doubt!

Although not as valued as originals, nevertheless they would form part of an interesting collection, I have a Cameron Highlanders without the title scroll that has been chromed, according to Bloomer's book this was a Victorian badge, so maybe the theory of ex-service personnel wearing chromed badges for parades etc may be correct. I think it would be a pretty petty person who would make a case about an ex-serviceman wearing his old badge, but no doubt this probably did occur at some time.
Old 28-02-09, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Andy,
I have examples of both Liverpool Irish and Liverpool Scottish chromed badges and neither have a connection with RAC.

I cannot believe the plating has been done by other than be the regiments themselves as it seems an expensive procedure to chrome plate them when it doesnt add much to their value as collectables.

P.B.
Peter,
would agree with you but it does happen! I purchased a genuine 1st bn Birmingham Pals badge that someone had chrome plated! I cannot see why a pals badge would be plated by the regiment. Maybe it was done as a sweatheart device? To my eternal shame i was talked into having the plating removed from my badge. The only problem was my `friend` forgot to tell the plater that the badge was bi-metal so he kept dipping it thinking that it the wm was being stubborn in places. The result, brass title spotless and pristene, the hart was pitted to a point where it was so much scrap metal. I managed to get hold of a `scrap` pals badge that was missing the scroll so at least i have the badge back again. Upset? me?......... i put it down to experience!

Cheers, Dave
Old 28-02-09, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have just acquired a small collection of badges with a chromed Suffolk and a chromed Middlesex. The Suffolk has no fixings and the Middlesex has a brooched clip, made for a sweetheart no doubt!

Although not as valued as originals, nevertheless they would form part of an interesting collection, I have a Cameron Highlanders without the title scroll that has been chromed, according to Bloomer's book this was a Victorian badge, so maybe the theory of ex-service personnel wearing chromed badges for parades etc may be correct. I think it would be a pretty petty person who would make a case about an ex-serviceman wearing his old badge, but no doubt this probably did occur at some time.

There is also the option that the owner (serving or retired) had it plated to save him ever having to polish it. I too remain sceptical of an army of bandsmen from lots of regts all having chromed badges. The simplest answers are the most likely and there are several reasons for chrome/nickel plated badges and I am sure that more than one (or 2/3/4) is valid.

Alan

Alan
Old 28-02-09, 11:57 PM

Smile Chromed badges

Alan, I am sure you are correct, badges have been chromed for as you say various reasons. when I started this thread, I hoped my scant knowledge would be rewarded and enhanced by members coming up with reasons for chroming and dates. Very little has been offered in the way of evidence as to why this has occurred. Some bandsmen may at one time have worn the badges chromed, personnel attached to armoured units could well have had chrome badges, the British Legion may have offered a chroming service to ex-service people.
The one thing that stands out to me, is that chromium plating is not something that you do in the kitchen sink, I would imagine it is or was costly and not easily available, so it remains a bit of a mystery, that's what I like about badge collecting . . !
Old 01-03-09, 12:13 AM

Default Stable belt buckle

When I was in the army 1958 to 1973 I never came across a chromed cap badge although I served in the N.Staffs and REME and was attached to Royal Horse Guards , Royal Artillery, Somer LI ,14th/20th Hussars, RASC, RCT and R.Sigs and when in REME Workshops worked with many many more regiments. I did however have my stable belt buckle chromed privately while in Hong Kong to save having to clean it.
Old 01-03-09, 07:33 PM

Hi, I once got talking to a lady who had a chromed 24th Lancers badge on her handbag. Her husband had had it chromed by their engineers as a sweet-heart for her. Maybe it was a nice sideline for any attached REME to chrome badges for their troops?
Old 07-03-09, 06:54 PM

Default Chroming of badges

I saw an old friend today who said that just post-war 1946-8, someone decided that all British cap badges should be standardised in appearance. The easiest way was to chrome them. Apparently this was about as popular as the plastic economy badges that had been dreamed up earlier and the idea was soon discarded.

Has anyone else heard of this theory, a good point being that I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a Guards cap badge in chrome, maybe someone has seen them and my theory shot down, but this would add evidence to this idea.
Old 07-03-09, 10:28 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Chromed Badges.

Following sonofacqms's request for info on the reason for badges being chromed and not particularly which regiments had them done, I would wonder why it appears to be a few rather than loads of varoius regiments that have been plated.
I have a few, a Monmouth which is damaged beyond repair ( as good as I can be at repairs, even I cannot replace a missing foot !! ), a 17th Lancers and a Black Watch, the only one I am sure of is the BW, it has the flaw, on the right, under the plinth.
I bought it originally as a Pipers' badge ????? so I'm more interested in what it is, rather than why it is.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 20-02-10, 12:34 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Somewhere I recall another theory being espoused. According to the law nobody except serving servicemen may wear uniform or badges of HM Forces (Goodness alone knows how re-enacters get away with it though). Chromed cap/beret badges were produced in order that ex-servicemen could wear them legally. i.e. at British Legion or Remembrance Day services.
Now I've checked mine and have the following (all have slider or lugs except where noted):
1 QDG
13 London (Kensingtons)
Army Depot Police FARELF
Bedfs & Herts Regt.
Cambs Regt
DLI (QC)
East Anglian Bde (screw posts. Came from a Gaunt manufactured car sign)
Essex Regt
Herts Regt (KC. Possibly ACF NCO's as ACF officers also wore silver gilt: 1 Bn wore gold gilt)
Leicestershire Regt (pre Royal)
Leicester & Derby Yeomanry (RAC unit. Attributed to SNCO's)
Manchester Regt (Fleur-de-Lys)
Middlesex Regt
Northants Regt
Northumberland Hussars (KC)
RA. (KC large gun)
RA. (QC smal gun)
RAOC (KC pre 1947)
RAMC (KC)
RASC (GviR with GvR cypher!)
Recce
RE (GviR)
REME (4 shields)
RTR (KC)
Surprised myself how many I have tucked away.
Regards, Stephen.
Hi Stephen

Do you have a photo of your Leics' & Derbys' PAOYEO chrome badge?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro