British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-15, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.parachuteregiment-hsf.org/15%20Para.htm

It appears to be a 15 Para backing but obviously not on a maroon beret!
Old 06-01-15, 12:01 PM

Its not the Scottish Transport Regiment who indeed use the 'Red McDuff' Tarton cut as illustrated:

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-01-15, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
http://www.parachuteregiment-hsf.org/15%20Para.htm

It appears to be a 15 Para backing but obviously not on a maroon beret!
Either crap hats attached, or pre P company members?

ASC
Old 06-01-15, 12:28 PM

Crap Hats attached would also wear a Maroon beret, but not the wings unless qualified? 16 Air Assault Brigade is full of them LoL

What about Scottish ACF affiliated to Para Regt?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-01-15, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
I can't find my copy of Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army (An excellent book, & rare to boot. There's one for sale on SMM), but I had a quick look at Kelly's site & came up with a few options - most of which can be ruled out.

The following units wear Hunting Stewart (sic) as a cap badge backing according to Kelly.

Improbable due to type of hat?
10th PMO Gurkha Rifles (75mm Square Worn On Felt Hat
Royal Gurkha Rifles (57mm Square Worn On Felt Hat)
Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) - Hunting Stewart 75mm Square Tartan (Assume TOS?)

Possibles
Edinburgh & Heriot-Watt Universities OTC (No idea of headdress used)
Tayforth Universities Officers Training Corps (No idea of headdress used)
Parachute Regiment - 15th Battalion (57mm Diamond) (One would assume beret?)

Maybe someone has a better idea based upon that list.

cheers,

Andy C
I think we'd need to always bear in mind that the inscription on the badge says: The Royal Scots.
Old 06-01-15, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Crap Hats attached would also wear a Maroon beret, but not the wings unless qualified? 16 Air Assault Brigade is full of them LoL

What about Scottish ACF affiliated to Para Regt?
In my experience, crap hats would only be worn once P Company qualified. Even baby Paras only get to wear maroon once through P company.

I know from close experience that some crap hats have worn maroon in operational circumstances, where directed by the Para CO - but in general a no-no.

cheers,

Andy C
Old 06-01-15, 12:49 PM

Lets have less of that Crap Hats please from the flat button, Daphne du Maurier buggers. We all realise you're very new to this war thing and had to be taught by us guys whose regiments have been around for hundreds of years. Pity you didn't attend when we ran the "manners" class.

There is evidence of the Bodyguard wearing berets in WW1 if this picture is anything to go by. The beret the boy is wearing seems to be more like the Service Cap of the early 40's though. I think there's a couple of options here:

1. It's from 5 Royal Scots when they didn't have enough Glengarries to go round during reformation during WW2.

2. It belonged to someone who was forced to wear a beret instead of a Glengarry on attachment.

3. It's a knockup.
Old 06-01-15, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Please read post 1 again. The badge was added by the poster who bought the beret without a badge but just the patch. The Royal Scoits badge is spurious.
Old 06-01-15, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Please read post 1 again. The badge was added by the poster who bought the beret without a badge but just the patch. The Royal Scoits badge is spurious.

Ah I see. I claim a pardon on the grounds that I'm a blind git.
Old 06-01-15, 01:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
The Badge that was married up with the beret is a 100% FAKE, St Andrew having a head like a Peanut Shell and a face like Evard Munch's "Scream"!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScream

Andy
Old 06-01-15, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

The best candidate is Scottish Para CADET. Para ACFs wear para badges but with blue berets.
There are Para cadets in the 2nd Bn of the Scottish ACF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...et_Force_units
Old 06-01-15, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
In my experience, crap hats would only be worn once P Company qualified. Even baby Paras only get to wear maroon once through P company.

I know from close experience that some crap hats have worn maroon in operational circumstances, where directed by the Para CO - but in general a no-no.

cheers,

Andy C
Baby Para at Army Foundation Collage Harrogate - In fact the Junior RSM no less. Note the Green Plastic Badge Backing

When you are talking about attached personnel not wearing Marron Berets, do you mean 'Parachute Regiment' or all of 16 Air Assault Brigade?? as I see females wearing maroon berets (not para regt granted)because within 16 AA Brigade it is mandatory for all, P Coy or not.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 06-01-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 01:55 PM

Hi it could be ACF, you could try matching a para badge with lugs to the holes in the beret, As a cadet in Aldershot in the beginning of the 80’s we wore A navy blue beret with a maroon diamond behind the badge. The beret in the photo is one of the Kangol berets issued to me at that time fitted with a badge purchased at Browning Barracks PRI shop with lugs rather than the staybright badge with slider we were issued with at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (109.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Loski; 07-01-15 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Baby Para at Army Foundation Collage Harrogate - In fact the Junior RSM no less. Note the Green Plastic Badge Backing

When you are talking about attached personnel not wearing Marron Berets, do you mean 'Parachute Regiment' or all of 16 Air Assault Brigade?? as I see females wearing maroon berets (not para regt granted)because within 16 AA Brigade it is mandatory for all, P Coy or not.
I'm sorry you posted that. I'm not keen on brats.
Old 07-01-15, 08:26 PM

Hello everyone ! Many thanks to you all for your numerous and well-documented replies, that's very kind of you ! A friend of mine, who runs a small militaria shop in Switzerland, had an unexpected idea about this mysterious beret : He told me it might come from a Scottish Parachute Cadets unit, as non-qualified/would be paras don't have the right to wear the famous maroon berets ; the Hunting Stewart tartan backing is there for traditional reasons. He also told me the correct badge would therefore be para wings, which leads to the same conclusion as Alan O's.

Last edited by steph68; 07-01-15 at 08:49 PM.