British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-14, 06:58 AM

Hello Mike/Chris

Tony is certain it was subdued Officer bullion badge in the beret, but stands to be corrected. Sorry we don't have a better image. It is in deed a Beaver forklift. Tony was in 55 Sqn and 47 Sqn if that helps (perhaps it was a Sqn thing). The chap top left is Guy Goodwin - just in case anyone came across either him or Tony. Sorry to divert the thread a little, but the subject of subdued badges is noted within this thread, so I hope this is acceptable.

Mike
Old 06-08-14, 06:15 PM

Hi all,
I have updated my anodised collection and now comes in at over 900 badges/makers.

http://www.smle.army-cap-badges.talk...collection.htm

Each web page now has a list of manufacturers names placed at the end of each page.

I would like to thank all the members for their previous comments and ask that if you know of any badges which I don't have , could you please let me know the badge and the makers name in full i.e. "TOYE.KENNING & SPENCER LTD" in order for me to include them in a wants list.
Many thanks.
Chris.
Old 07-08-14, 04:51 AM

Dear Chris,

You are doing a great job and thanks for this super source of useful reference. Having said that, I still think you need yr head read for undertaking such a difficult and virtually unfinishable collection.

This will surely go on and on for a long time yet, but here are a small few, not too rare and therefore usually findable, badges you might be interested in...

ASR - Firmin
AFS - Firmin London
KOYLI - Grove metal slider
R Innis Fus - Unmarked, 2 loops
Seaforths - Unmarked, 4 loops

Thanks again, good luck and all the best

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASR, Reverse.jpg (65.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AFS.jpg (49.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg AFS, Reverse.jpg (47.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg KOYLI 2.JPG (7.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Inniskilling Fusiliers - Loops.jpg (69.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Inniskilling Fusiliers - Loops, Reverse.jpg (63.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Seaforths.jpg (106.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Seaforths, Reverse.jpg (105.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg KOYLI 2, Reverse.JPG (6.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ASR.jpg (71.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-08-14, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Dear Chris,

You are doing a great job and thanks for this super source of useful reference. Having said that, I still think you need yr head read for undertaking such a difficult and virtually unfinishable collection.

This will surely go on and on for a long time yet, but here are a small few, not too rare and therefore usually findable, badges you might be interested in...

ASR - Firmin
AFS - Firmin London
KOYLI - Grove metal slider
R Innis Fus - Unmarked, 2 loops
Seaforths - Unmarked, 4 loops

Thanks again, good luck and all the best

William
Hi William,

Seaforths looks like a Gaunt piece (usually they come with three lugs - might have to look into that one a bit harder).

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers is a kilt badge.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-08-14, 05:19 AM

Cheers Chris.

If anyone is looking for Innis Fusiliers kilt badge, there's one on the BuyWyze website - Irish. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers anodised badge.

http://www.buywyze.com/shop.php - "A good example on loops." Code: 1022164Price: 25.00 GBP

Best rgds to all
Old 07-08-14, 05:37 AM

Hi Chris
Superb collection, well done and thanks for showing them.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 07-08-14, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Cheers Chris.

If anyone is looking for Innis Fusiliers kilt badge, there's one on the BuyWyze website - Irish. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers anodised badge.

http://www.buywyze.com/shop.php - "A good example on loops." Code: 1022164Price: 25.00 GBP

Best rgds to all
Be aware that this badge was / is worn by The Royal Irish Rangers and The Royal Irish Regiment as one of the antecedent regiments badges worn, as pointed out , on the kilt. It was not per se worn by The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Although this may appear pedantic it is important if one collects only cap badges or only insignia worn by the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers etc.

John
Old 07-08-14, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Is a 4 looped 'Seaforth' not just a post 1968 Queen's Own Highlanders with the thistle device removed from between the antlers?
Old 07-08-14, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Is a 4 looped 'Seaforth' not just a post 1968 Queen's Own Highlanders with the thistle device removed from between the antlers?
Hi Alan,

Certainly not.

The scroll on the The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany’s) is not blank between the letters having lines from the top to bottom edges of the scroll. The only maker I have know is Smith & Wright Ltd and, as I know things, comes with only three lugs.

Look at page 268 and you will see a real one from the middle 1950's.

The badge is actually quite scarce/rare but many erroneously use the lower part of the Queen's Own Highlanders, with blank area between the scroll letters, in their collections.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-08-14, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

I take your point but as you say the Seaforths has 3 lugs and that one has 4 so does that not make it a QOH!

Alan
Old 07-08-14, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris,

I take your point but as you say the Seaforths has 3 lugs and that one has 4 so does that not make it a QOH!

Alan
Hi Alan,

From what I can see I would cautiously state that William' badge with scroll lines (which is the defining factor in a Seaforth Highlanders A/A badge) and four lugs is good. This is the first one I have seen with four lugs possibly by Gaunt.

With this Gaunt factor in mind I would though, like to put some more thought into this one and make sure that it is not one of the unofficial commissions from the 1980's hence my initial comments in post #49.

A list of the 'dodgy' Gaunt pieces is given on pages 149 and 150 of my book and they do make for some quite scary reading as the badges noted are from the rarer side of things.

Regards

Chris

Also,
Old 07-08-14, 10:58 AM

I always believed it was the head of the stag that was the difference.The QOHldrs was flat(like road kill) where as the Seaforth was raised ( alive) ?

Just checked mine,four lugs and very fine vertical lines in the scroll.I can honestly say id never noticed them before.
In my old collection i had a 3 lugged version,2 upper lugs and a central lug at the bottom.Stags head raised the same as the four lugged version.
Old 07-08-14, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I always believed it was the head of the stag that was the difference.The QOHldrs was flat(like road kill) where as the Seaforth was raised ( alive) ?

Just checked mine,four lugs and very fine vertical lines in the scroll.I can honestly say id never noticed them before.
In my old collection i had a 3 lugged version,2 upper lugs and a central lug at the bottom.Stags head raised the same as the four lugged version.
What happened to yr old collection, Mike?

W
Old 07-08-14, 12:25 PM

Quote:
What happened to yr old collection, Mike?

W
I sold it William,i regret it now but i didnt have much choice at the time.There was some really good stuff amongst it.Some that im still looking for now.Ive just looked,there are 13 badges that i had that are amongst the 40 that im looking for.
Old 07-08-14, 01:40 PM

King's Own Scottish Borderers 200 is a sporran badge.
Missing is the "Dorsetshire" scroll three rows of leaves badge. Mine came unanodised and without maker mark but Chris Marsh has it with a J.R. Gaunt London mark AAD09.

Rgds, Thomas.