British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-14, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Do you know what he is actually trying to look like, a moustache is one thing, but, that beard as well?
Pioneer Sgt?
Old 19-03-14, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I cant contain my admiration.........
Looks like a barrage balloon Khaki

Simon.
Old 19-03-14, 07:50 PM

It's just tragic that people like the man pictured can be allowed to defile a uniform in that way, really. It doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, it's respect that counts. I bet if you interviewed him he'd say he was doing it out of admiration or respect. No pal you just failed.

Anyone parading around in an SS uniform must be a Nazi apologist at best or a raving Neo nazi at worst. There can be no excuses for it, not one, it's not educational it's simply offensive.
Old 19-03-14, 08:02 PM

That is the word that the whole subject is about - RESPECT

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-03-14, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I take it the battledress is unlikely to be original in this particular case?
Only if it has been rebadged

Battledress was available to special order in outsizes for Home Guards during the war years on a specific ordering system [as were special fitting boots]. The largest of which is mentioned in a period 1943 book by Charles Graves. Bristol Home Guard volunteer had a BD set and Great Coat made for him [I have a photo]. Apparently it was a 73 inch. I kid you not.
Old 19-03-14, 11:47 PM

Default .

A hungry Royal Artillery reenactor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XXXL.jpg (23.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 19-03-14, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I cant contain my admiration.........
Me neither.
And I had no idea Ian Paisley was in the Para's!
Old 20-03-14, 12:09 AM

An interesting thread and plenty of sound points.
I have run the Khaki Chums since taking over from Colin Wright in 1992. The Chums have only taken part in two 'public' events in the UK since 1990, all the rest have been private tours or events at the invitation of Regimental Associations and museums.
I am pleased to see that Ed has included some of them in his memorable moments. I know that Ed would have had nothing to do with the Khaki Chums if he thought the standard was not high enough.
Many Chums are ex-servicemen with service ranging from the Falklands to the present and range from lowly Privates and Troopers to a pair of Majors.
Like the others, they joined the Khaki Chums as they have an interest in the British Army, 1899-1960 and there is a great deal that you can learn from wearing the kit. We regularly hear recently serving soldiers saying, "its all the same. Just the same in my day" but the kit varies enormously throughout the first half of the 20th Century and the modern soldiers in the Chums will always put them straight. You can read all the books you like, but hobnailed boots and puttees on a lengthy march bear no resemblance to Magnum Hi-tecs and modern combats.
Since 1996 we have given historical military advice for film, television and theatre productions all over the world. Much of that is a direct result of twenty years of first hand experience of the uniforms, equipment and kit of the British soldier, 1899-1960.
Each to their own - I have no interest in putting on displays for the public at village fetes, and I have no idea why a fifty year old stockbroker wants to spend his Bank Holidays dressed as a Nazi tank commander but, as Arthur Halestrap, one of the last veterans of The Great War once said, "My friends gave their lives so that British people could choose what to do with theirs"...
Old 20-03-14, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Pioneer Sgt?
More like Pie on ear Sgt.
Old 20-03-14, 01:11 AM

Good job all of us have the bodies of young Greek Gods so we can stand on the high ground of Mount Olympus and laugh at those who don't.. Now just where did I leave my young Greek God-ah there she is...
My interests are mainly Great War and from what I have seen those who portray this period in the UK do it to a high standard- and with respect. Although I would of considered joining a group myself- I consider myself too old and so will just battle against the bulge.
Wanting to re-enact being a Nazi is very odd to say the least, but apart from that I think there are plenty of strange types in our society (UK) to be more concerned about then re-enactors. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 20-03-14 at 01:49 AM.
Old 20-03-14, 01:41 AM

God Bless him! At least he isn’t wearing a VC!!

Old 20-03-14, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_chum View Post
An interesting thread and plenty of sound points.
I have run the Khaki Chums since taking over from Colin Wright in 1992. The Chums have only taken part in two 'public' events in the UK since 1990, all the rest have been private tours or events at the invitation of Regimental Associations and museums.
I am pleased to see that Ed has included some of them in his memorable moments. I know that Ed would have had nothing to do with the Khaki Chums if he thought the standard was not high enough.
Many Chums are ex-servicemen with service ranging from the Falklands to the present and range from lowly Privates and Troopers to a pair of Majors.
Like the others, they joined the Khaki Chums as they have an interest in the British Army, 1899-1960 and there is a great deal that you can learn from wearing the kit. We regularly hear recently serving soldiers saying, "its all the same. Just the same in my day" but the kit varies enormously throughout the first half of the 20th Century and the modern soldiers in the Chums will always put them straight. You can read all the books you like, but hobnailed boots and puttees on a lengthy march bear no resemblance to Magnum Hi-tecs and modern combats.
Since 1996 we have given historical military advice for film, television and theatre productions all over the world. Much of that is a direct result of twenty years of first hand experience of the uniforms, equipment and kit of the British soldier, 1899-1960.
Each to their own - I have no interest in putting on displays for the public at village fetes, and I have no idea why a fifty year old stockbroker wants to spend his Bank Holidays dressed as a Nazi tank commander but, as Arthur Halestrap, one of the last veterans of The Great War once said, "My friends gave their lives so that British people could choose what to do with theirs"...

Well put; as were wardog's comments!
Old 20-03-14, 07:36 AM

The ones that really p@@@ Me off are the ones that have recently started turning up, uninvited at re-internment of soldiers killed in the Great War.

Often, they are not authentically dressed for the occasion, either a mixture of periods, or just plain wrong! The situation being made worse by the TV cameras honing in on them.

Living history & education - yes, good. Wannabes & lime lighters - BAD!
Old 20-03-14, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
This is Confession Time the attached picture of me and my daughter was taken about 20 years ago after I had just acquired some Kings Regiment musicians uniforms that we are wearing.

We only wore the uniforms for as long as it took for the photograph to be taken, so whilst I cannot say that I never wear any of the items in my collection, this is the only occasion I can recall when I did.

P.B.
That hedge in the garden needs a trim.
Old 20-03-14, 08:40 AM

Things do appear very lush and green, is that a conifer on the left too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
That hedge in the garden needs a trim.
Closed Thread