British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-13, 03:29 PM

Royal Irish Rangers cloth badge - I obtained this as a ‘headdress badge’ but have always had my suspicions that it was for sportswear. That said you may wish to use it as a ‘caveat emptor’. Embroidered, 65 x 82 mm.

More to follow over the weekend - should be finished by Monday.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img257a.jpg (46.1 KB, 20 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-12-13, 11:31 AM

Royal Artillery cloth beret badge [IGK13C], woven, 55 x 52 mm.

3 Regiment Royal Horse Artillery cloth jungle and crap hat badge [IGK01], printed, c.65 x 75 mm (unfolded).

127 Battery, 49 Field Regiment Royal Artillery [IGK13H] desert hat badge, embroidered, dia. 52 mm.

More to follow ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arty01.jpg (84.7 KB, 29 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-12-13, 12:00 PM

Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s) cloth beret badge (ACF?), woven, 52 x 51 mm.

Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s) cloth beret badge [IGK37C], woven, 49 x 49 mm.

Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s) TRF/desert hat badge(?) - came attached to a piece of desert DPM. Woven, 44 x 33 mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img270a.jpg (49.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 15-12-13, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Royal Artillery cloth beret badge [IGK13C], woven, 55 x 52 mm.

3 Regiment Royal Horse Artillery cloth jungle and crap hat badge [IGK01], printed, c.65 x 75 mm (unfolded).

127 Battery, 49 Field Regiment Royal Artillery [IGK13H] desert hat badge, embroidered, dia. 52 mm.

More to follow ...
Graham,

The round badge looks just like the Canadian one. Is there a chance that that is what it is and was worn by 127 Bty?

John
Old 15-12-13, 07:17 AM

John

Yes, exactly, there is a note in Ian Kelly's guide (which Bill has, and why I didn't add it to the description) that they had a Canadian Artillery officer on exchange as Battery Commander and the Canadian badge was adopted as a result.

Best

Graham
Old 15-12-13, 04:39 PM

I knew an Ordnance Stores Section Guy attached to 49 at one time who wore a RCOC one, so perhaps there were a few RCEME ones about as well?

Not a common sight I might add! even tough it was suggested for wear in Northern Ireland at one time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCOC.jpg (4.5 KB, 7 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-03-14, 10:08 PM

Default WWII PERIOD RARE BAYS OTHER RANKS SIDE HAT

Hi Guys
I picked this example up to day of the other ranks 2nd Dragoon Guards side hat a rather unusall example !!
regards steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9226.jpg (26.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9227.jpg (76.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-03-14, 10:14 PM

Glad to see the project is still active

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-03-14, 10:21 PM

Default Time for some R.Anglian ones

these all can be found being worn on a cloth hat.

Brentwood ccf
Kimbolton CCF
KEGS VI Chelmsford
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0012.jpg (117.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg L4C909.jpg (5.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ccf_chelmsford 1.jpg (83.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg _mg_3621.jpg (45.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.jpg (117.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.jpg (118.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 06-03-14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 10:33 PM

Default some more

Heres a few more R.Anglian types
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B032.jpg (37.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg t8_024.jpg (76.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RED A IMP BADGE R ANGLIAN.jpg (67.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-03-14, 11:10 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for the other photos, I'll add them to the leaflet. Been away for a bit with work and now putting the final touches to it. Looking for ideas on a written bit at the back. Go a bit on fakes, bit on different ways of constructing patches and a few officer issue examples.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers Bill
Old 08-03-14, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for the other photos, I'll add them to the leaflet. Been away for a bit with work and now putting the final touches to it. Looking for ideas on a written bit at the back. Go a bit on fakes, bit on different ways of constructing patches and a few officer issue examples.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers Bill
Maybe a few words on 'not all the badges can be verified as being worn". The black on white RHA badge comes to mind, unless some one has proof it was worn!

Are you dividing the badges into types of head dress that they were (are) worn on, beret, floppy hat, and helmet cover etc.?

Marc
Old 08-03-14, 09:23 AM

Default An idea to include.

Bill I am a great believer in making collectors be aware that just because rules and regs stipulate an individual or group can only wear this pattern, or need to cease wearing that pattern, etc etc, there's always an exception.
In too many books and articles, and at times by arm chair experts on this forum, there's no leverage on this, and its a case "of it says this in Order blah dated blah so that badge isn't right"
If you could put a little about the use of non standard exceptions at times " being the norm( in theatre for example)", I believe it would show particularly new comers to our hobby how varied it can be.
I refer to Mikes Canadian badge being worn by Brits for example above.
I am aware that this could give an open day to Fantasy patches and fakers, but there's plenty of evidence, both pictorial and literal to back cases of the weird and wonderful being worn.
Only a thought
When you taking orders?
Regards
Jon
Old 09-03-14, 11:53 AM

Fantastic project! I can help with a beret badge for King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford CCF. I've attached here and also in a small album gallery I've started.

Also, just to comment on the two images that you have in the album for the Essex Yeomanry, the title should be 70 (EY) Signal Squadron rather than 71 (they are part of 71 (Y) Signal Regiment.)

I'd be very interested in a copy when you publish, and if you're still looking for proof readers I'd be happy to help.

Regards, Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEGS beret M Wood.jpg (52.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-03-14, 11:47 PM

Hi Guys,

thanks for the ideas. I have added a disclaimer to state that there may be mistakes and about the 'validity' of the badges being worn or not.

Marc, I have divided it into different sections and tried to place them in order of precedence (this may be where the mistakes occur )

Hopefully should be finished next week. Will keep you informed.

I'm gonna make it PDF as well as printed version for ease of transmission. Printed version will incur a small fee for printing and postage.

All the best and thanks again for your help.

Bill