British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-08, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default Registry of Reproduced Insignia

With all the accumulated knowledge and research by members of the forum, should a "Reference" section be created to show (image) the repro'd badges, listing or explainig the characteristics to watch for? This would provide a ready reference for the collector. Right now the information is spread across hundreds of threads. And, sometimes, it is not even evident that the information is in the particular string. The Repro Reference could be a feature on the main web page? Badges listed alphabetically, by nation, with the appropriate image and analysis.
Thoughts?
Old 05-08-08, 01:39 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
With all the accumulated knowledge and research by members of the forum, should a "Reference" section be created to show (image) the repro'd badges, listing or explainig the characteristics to watch for? This would provide a ready reference for the collector. Right now the information is spread across hundreds of threads. And, sometimes, it is not even evident that the information is in the particular string. The Repro Reference could be a feature on the main web page? Badges listed alphabetically, by nation, with the appropriate image and analysis.
Thoughts?
Bill,
Sounds very good, but its a shed-load of work unless there is someway of sharing the work out so that everyone "does their bit". I'm in.
Old 05-08-08, 02:56 PM

Would it be one entry per badge?

Or all in the same tread?

Could we define a format of image...

I'll try to work something out... graphic wise after I catch some ZzzzzzZZzzz.

Would pointing out the defaults in the repros only make the reproduteers able to me them better....????

So tougher to spot.... I'm quite bad as it is!
Old 05-08-08, 03:46 PM

Don't forget that many on this forum cannot agree on what may be a repro or a re-strike and what may be original. Apart from the very obvious fakes that most of us can detect, the provenance really does not exist for what was a re-strike and what was a manufacturers variant.

Michael
Old 05-08-08, 05:28 PM

I understand the concern raised here in regards to re-stikes, disputed badges ect. I think what Bill is refering to are KNOWN fakes and restirkes. ie 1st Armoured Kangaroo Badges. 1st Canpara, things of that nature. These would of course belong in the Canadian section. I am certain there are many more examples in the British sections.

Count me in Bill. I will help where I can.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 05-08-08, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am afraid for british badges, then with the exception of a handfull (and I mean less than 10) all of the british ORs badges 1908 onwards have been faked. Nearly every badge shown in Gaylor's book has been faked.

Alan
Old 05-08-08, 06:20 PM

A similar thought had occured to me ,it might be easier to list those badge people are pretty confident have not been reproduced, but it might be a very short list.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-08-08, 08:31 PM

... but then we wouldn't want to advertise those ones !
Old 05-08-08, 08:48 PM

Default Fake

Again its got to be a PM sytsem, Rec by know users . I would like to say we know who we trust and don't trust !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
... but then we wouldn't want to advertise those ones !
Old 05-08-08, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Cliff focused the idea that I had, which was known reproductions. It is apparent that there are badges which are not agreed reproductions, but a list of known fakes with the "whys" and "where fores" would certainly help. Many of us have specialties, and we are confident in our area of expertise, but once outside that familiar territory, we are at the mercy of the marketplace. I would feel much more comfortable with some knowledge.
Perhaps, to approach this in a different tact, could we have images of "bad" characteristics, or things to look for on repro badges? This would be things like the types of sliders or good die strikes vs questionable ones, or badges in metals or materials that they were never made in. (The phony Canadian canvas is an area in itself.) Or, will this simply be a frustrating endeavor? In my thinking, I was hoping that the contribution of many forum members over a period of time would build a good reference base. If a badge or patch is in dispute, it could certainly be noted in such a manner.
Old 06-08-08, 07:58 AM
Administrator

The Pages would need a heath warning at the beginning, not being based on solid evidence, but would still in my opinion be about 95% correct with the experience on here.

A separate password protected area can be created, but they fall down as soon as someone gives their password away.

page layout? an index of regiments/corps by country I would say, with a page dedicated to each regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rangers.jpg (43.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-08-08, 08:20 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The Pages would need a heath warning at the beginning, not being based on solid evidence, but would still in my opinion be about 95% correct with the experience on here.

A separate password protected area can be created, but they fall down as soon as someone gives their password away.

page layout? an index of regiments by country I would say, with a page dedicated to each regiment.
Mike,
Structure sounds ok. Password also sounds ok - even though you are right about it open to being abused.
I am new to the Forum and I don't want to upset anyone, but, there is no way of knowing whether these forgers/fakers etc are or could be forum members and (as has already been suggested) could use the information to improve their forgeries even more. I know that I have changed my collecting habits since belonging to this Forum - more so in the last 4 months than at any period in the last 30+ years. As long as you provide the caveat - should the fakers get rid of the "obvious signs" - that you have touched upon, I think something has to be done. As a stamp collector, I have access to volumes of information about forgeries and fakes. I really do think that this hobby needs something similar.
I am fairly IT literate and use a lot of software applications etc as part of my job. I am perfectly willing to provide any help that I can. Just ask.
Old 06-08-08, 12:19 PM
Administrator

something like this:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/res...stry_index.htm

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/res...tish_index.htm

leading to pages like this:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/res...oon_guards.htm

??

anyone got an original 3dg to stick in there!?

username: test1
password: test2
Old 06-08-08, 01:55 PM

Default Photo Work

Count me IN!!! I'll help with any "photo" work that I can.

Larry
Old 06-08-08, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Rethinking this suggestion, I wonder if we should go the positive route. Create an online K&K, Gaylor, Babins, Mazeas etc. Image and illlustrate known good badges. Then add the caveat of repros for that particular badge?
This is a mega project, but could be an awsome reference. It would develop as forum members added images and information. Perhaps this could be test run with a project on a specific area of badges, eg for Canadian, the king's crown period...?
Sort or wandering all over here, but there is a huge potential.