British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-12, 12:17 AM

The difference in uniforms is not so remarkable if you realise they are for different purposes.

The B&W photo shows No.1 Dress as used for parades etc. The later photo shows "Hacking Kit" which is generally used for less formal occassions such as when competing in civilian Highland Games or other piping competitions. This is often privately purchased by the P&D's or even by individuals rather than issued kit.

Military Pipes and Drums are also likely to be seen in Work Dress (aka Barrack Dress), No. 2 Dress or normal combat dress etc.

Of course there are variations of each of these too such as No. 2 Dress Ceremonial (spats and diced hose instead of Lovat Hose, hair sporran instead of leather sporran etc), No 2 Dress shirt sleeve order (no jacket and tie) , trews instead of kilts, glengarry with combats instead of TOS or beret, No. 1 Dress Tropical etc.
Old 10-03-12, 07:13 AM

Thanks Wairua,

But this is a T.A. unit and I dont think they have different uniforms for different ocassions.It is something I am in the process of checking.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 10-03-12 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 10:29 AM

Hi,

Here is picture of my Kosb pipers badge.

Albert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user1354_pic56735_1323523060.jpg (60.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-03-12, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
There is actually a picture of Alex if you follow the link that has been posted.

It does seem to me that a number of military Pipes and Drums seem to be changing their uniforms and making them similar to those worn by civilian pipers and drummers and thereby loosing a lot of the old military items of kit.

Is this a result of the cost of some items ?

P.B.
Jeez, I haven't seen that pic before, makes me look more like an idiot than usual, I'll have to get them to change that one!!!!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-03-12, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Further to my last post,here are pictures of the some members of the Pipes and Drums of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers in 1990 ( black and white photo ) and a more recent colour photo.

The difference in the uniforms is remarkable.

P.B.
Hello Peter,
I see in the colour photograph the Pipers are wearing the blue over red hackle, was this not worn by the Liverpool Irish at some point?
Regards Tony.
PS looks to have been taken at Croxteth Hall ?
Old 11-03-12, 08:53 PM

Hello Tony,

I think you are are right on both counts.

The Lancashire Artillery Volunteer band including the Pipes and Drums was formed in 1967 when the Liverpool Irish was reduced to a Troop and lost its Pipes and Drums.

The last Pipe Major of the Liverpool Irish became the first Pipe Major of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers. As they were no longer Irish,the saffron kilts were no longer worn and Crawford Tartan was adopted. (Brigadier Sir Douglas Crawford of biscuit fame was the first Honorary Colonel of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers )

I think the unit at Aigburth Road, where the Liverpool Irish used to be, call themselves the Liverpool Gunners and still wear the blue and red hackle.

The picture is taken at either Croxteth Hall or Knowsley Hall,cant remember which.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-03-12, 11:36 AM

Default Pipers Badge project

Hi All .
What a wonderful collection of badges , can anyone tell me the period of issue for the 21st Royal Scots Fusilier Badge on Page 1 of the project ? . Thank you in advance , much appreciated .
Cheers Skull .
Old 13-03-12, 05:53 PM

Skull,

The badge is shown in the first Bloomer book ( No 55 ) and is described as 2nd Battalion Pipers feather bonnet badge but no date is given.

The badge does not appear in the second Bloomer book but the inclusion of 21st in the title on the badge suggests pre 1881.

P.B.

Old 13-03-12, 08:42 PM

The Parachute Regiment Brooch was sealed on 3rd April 1967 (pat no 17093) for Pipers of 15th (Scottish) Bn., The Parachute Regiment, declared obsolete in July 1995. Original vocab number CB 7556 later changed to an NSN of CB 8455-99-973-9980. I hope that this helps.

Marc
Old 14-03-12, 01:18 AM

Smile Pipers Badge project

Hi 8th Foot .
Thanks for the reply , much appreciated .
cheers Skull .
Old 15-03-12, 10:21 AM

For those with an interest in Scottish badges and who have not already seen it,have a look here;

http://www.bluebellmilitaria.co.uk/archive.php

P.B.

Old 15-03-12, 03:37 PM

Some for the project.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 16-03-12, 08:48 AM

Marc,
I take it those are the sealed patterns of the plaid brooches from MoD stores? I'm jealous.
Incidentally I'll get photos of my just ID'd Inniskilling badge into my album which I'm happy to have copied over to the project. If I could post a linky thing to Common Forums/Badges to be identified/Large Inniskillings Piper badge then I would, but unfortunately I'm a dinosaur (as my IT apprentice son keeps telling me).

Ian H
Old 16-03-12, 04:28 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Ian,

If you think it's bad being told you're out of touch by an IT apprentice ? wait until a six year old girl ( grandaughter ) tells you to leave her alone because she knows what she is doing............................................. and she does.

Dave.

PS. I don't know if these qualify ? If they do, you are quite welcome to use them and anything else, if in my albums ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My badges 3. 270.jpg (98.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg My badges 3. 271.jpg (98.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by davec2; 16-03-12 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Wairua,

But this is a T.A. unit and I dont think they have different uniforms for different ocassions.It is something I am in the process of checking.

Peter
Hi, only occasionally visit the site hence the delayed reply. I understand your point that TA units are often not as well resourced as Regular units however I’d be surprised if any TA unit in the past ten years or so didn’t parade in at least four different forms of dress:

• Combats for general training (both military and P&D specific)
• Hacking Kit for competitions and some mess jobs etc
• Work Dress for courses and concentrations
• No. 1 Dress for formal occasions, tattoos and public parades etc.

That would likely be true for all serving members at least however some P&D’s also have Association members who may only have Hacking Kit and possibly No.1 Dress.

Unfortunately, due to various amalgamations and the lower number of Pipers and Drummers in both the TA and Regular Army today, much of the Regimental distinctions and dress are no longer seen. Many units are trying to retain antecedent dress as much as possible but this is becoming ever harder to maintain and source.

Cheers,
Wairua