British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-11, 08:36 AM

Default Peter Doyle's book

Peter Doyle 's book is a good one for collecting ww1 cap badges and get informations about them, complete with photos : good quality as always and not expensive.
Old 17-01-11, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Doyle View Post
Thanks for your comment - a little odd, considering the badge pictures are in full colour, in focus, and larger that those in KK and Gaylor. So to say you can't see a thing is pushing it a bit, really. It's not what we care to do, of course, its what the publishers can manage, while making an affordable book that will sell.

Strangely enough, we received an Amazon review with one star for the self same reason - I must admit I dismissed it on the basis that the reviewer ('Carrot Liberation') was having a bad day. I hope so (wouldn't be you, would it?)

Peter
I haven't seen KK or Gaylor books. For years I have been collecting medals and badges (not British). Lets say I get used to big quality pics, that show beauty of an item and differences of real awards against re-strike or fakes.
I can name couple of books I meant, if you have a chance to flip it, you would see what I mean.

The books are: Comprehensive guide to soviet medals and orders (Paul Scmitt & Paul McDaniel)

German Combat Badges of the Third Reich (Michael F. Tucker)

etc.

PS Carrot Liberation was having a really bad day, when he discovered pictures in 1.5x1.5 cm .
Old 17-01-11, 05:41 PM

A bit like collecting badges and other things,if you start collecting books on military subjects it can become compulsive but most of badge books are meant to do no more than identify what a particular badge is and who wore it and when.

As far as I am aware ( and I will probably be shot down in flames on this ) there are no books on british military badges which seek to show how to distinguish " good" badges from "bad" ones. I think there are books on how to spot reproduction german militaria.

Could be a big market out there for the right type of book on badges.Certainly all the restrike Merchants would buy a copy

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-01-11, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
to show how to distinguish " good" badges from "bad" ones.
P.B.
I'm not talking about that, to make things clear here is an example of a book for BEGINNERS in collecting nazi combat shields. It cost me $50+PP. For two mounts , it saved me $500 at list. It doesn't explain how to distinguish " good" shields from "bad". It just shows a good picture of a real example, hallmarks and other (mint) marks etc. As well as explaining who was carrying ,who was entitled, what for, which years etc

I hope this explains what I meant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA72017.jpg (18.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by sire; 17-01-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 17-01-11, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post

As far as I am aware ( and I will probably be shot down in flames on this ) there are no books on british military badges which seek to show how to distinguish " good" badges from "bad" ones.
Chapter 3, pages 36–37
Old 17-01-11, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sire View Post
I haven't seen KK or Gaylor books.
PS Carrot Liberation was having a really bad day, when he discovered pictures in 1.5x1.5 cm .
You might want to compare and contrast:

Gaylor: e.g. Plate 11, Bedfordshire Regiment, 2.5x2.5 cm
Kipling & King, e.g. vol 1, page 185, Bedfordshire Regiment, 2.5x2.5 cm
Doyle & Foster: e.g. Page 79, Bedfordshire Regiment, 3.5x3.5 cm

I can't recommend one book or another, but you might want to get the facts right.
Peter
Old 17-01-11, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Doyle View Post
You might want to compare and contrast:

Gaylor: e.g. Plate 11, Bedfordshire Regiment, 2.5x2.5 cm
Kipling & King, e.g. vol 1, page 185, Bedfordshire Regiment, 2.5x2.5 cm
Doyle & Foster: e.g. Page 79, Bedfordshire Regiment, 3.5x3.5 cm

I can't recommend one book or another, but you might want to get the facts right.
Peter
I'll thank you, don't get me wrong. Collecting British mil. cap badges is clearly one of the biggest / famous hobby in the world and it's a shame that there is not a single book with good illustrations

Hope next publication of the book can go imperial and have 3.5" tho
Old 17-01-11, 09:51 PM

If you look at the album section you will see plenty of big clear photos
of badges . some front and rear views
paj1
Old 17-01-11, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I'll thank you, don't get me wrong. Collecting British mil. cap badges is clearly one of the biggest / famous hobby in the world and it's a shame that there is not a single book with good illustrations

Hope next publication of the book can go imperial and have 3.5" tho
We'll have to differ on that one - I consider my illustrations to be good.

1.4"x1.4" then.

P.
Old 17-01-11, 09:59 PM

Smile

If you use a combination of books, this forum and seeing and handling
badges , plus talking to other collectors and dealers you will find most
of the information you will need. its a long learning curve.
but a great hobby
paj1
Old 17-01-11, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
If you use a combination of books, this forum and seeing and handling
badges , plus talking to other collectors and dealers you will find most
of the information you will need. its a long learning curve.
but a great hobby
paj1

Thanks for advise, I like to learn, knowledge is power .

Peter Doyle
go for an excellent book, the book that will become collectable itself, think about it for a sec. A person who is going to spend in next couple of years pile of cash would't mind to pay a little bit hight price for the book taht will save him/her a fortune ...

Last edited by sire; 17-01-11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 17-01-11, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Peter Doyle
go for an excellent book, the book that will become collectable itself, think about it for a sec. A person who is going to spend in next couple of years pile of cash would't mind to pay a little bit hight price for the book taht will save him/her a fortune ...
Thanks for the lecture; this could run and run.

I'm proud of my book and the Second World War version will be joining it on the shelves by the end of the year. Both are published by a mainstream publisher (Osprey/Shire) and are widely available for a good price. It compares favourably with other WW1 badge books on the market, and is the only one in colour. It will give a good introduction to anyone wishing to carry on in the hobby; it has received plaudits for the quality of its production. It certainly took me and my co-author a lot of time and effort to produce.

As for Soviet/Nazi badges - I can't comment, not my thing, but I can say that this fills a niche for British badges. However, this is the author speaking, so discount these comments if you wish. Your choice, your opinion.

Last edited by Peter Doyle; 17-01-11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 18-01-11, 08:00 PM

I have a strange feeling that you didn't get what I was talking about, hence let me put it this way. The book is GOOD, you and your co-author deserve all the compliments, the pictures in the book are SMALL.

And no I wasn'y lecturing. just wanted to share an opinion.

You don't belive me , try to find McDaniel's book, when it was published it cost $80, nowadays if you want to buy it you are looking for serious book dealer and $250.

All the best
Old 18-01-11, 08:34 PM

Oh well, at least this threads jogged me into buying "British Army Cap Badges of The First World War which I ordered on line 2 minutes ago.
Dunno what's come over me, had "Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of The British Army" delivered today too.
Old 18-01-11, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The book is GOOD, you and your co-author deserve all the compliments, the pictures in the book are SMALL.
In the spirit of compromise:

The pictures in my book are SMALLER than you are used to in your other collecting fields, but LARGER than usually seen in other books on British Cap Badges.

I must admit I'd rather reach a (relatively) mass market and forgo the 'future collectable' book status. That's authors for you.
P.