British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-21, 06:28 PM

Default Loops or sliders

I have an assemblage of badges rather than a collection, gathered over quite a long period and now with time on my hands, find myself on something of a steep learning curve.
One of the things that has occurred to me is that two similar cap badges can have differences in their way of mounting, some with loops and some with sliders. Is there any general rule to explain the reason?
Another thing, some of the ones that I have are clearly of a higher quality construction than the average, indicating use by officers, were these 'official' issue or did the officers buy their own?
Old 09-08-21, 12:31 PM

Sliders officially replaced loops c.1907, so looped badges tend to be earlier examples. Officer badges still had loops and are often silver or gilt finish, so better quality. Difficult to answer your question as there are too many variables, so it is easier for you to post images and ask specific questions
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-08-21, 12:59 PM

The original ‘long’ slider was introduced 1903-05 for wear on the Broderick cap before the shortened slider was authorised in 1906. Prior to this loops were standard as stated.

Member KLR has done some excellent research on this subject and found the dates and orders related to ‘vertical shanks’ as they were officially termed.

However, this is a rule of thumb and not applicable to every badge e.g. many Scottish regiments continued to use loop fixings. Also TF and other non-War Office badge orders would see loops continue beyond the above dates.

The question of loops v’s slider and inferences based on quality is too broad and general to answer with any accuracy I’m afraid melh, you would have to show us the specific badge.

There are plenty of threads on here which should help and make enjoyable reading.
Old 09-08-21, 02:55 PM

Alex & Luke, thank you for your informative answers, I didn't expect a distinct 'these were this and those were that' answer, nothing's ever that simple where the military's concerned. I do feel that I've learned something from the input. Thanks, Mel.