British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-10, 05:33 PM

Wilf,

You may need to warn your repair man that the badges may have been laquered. I unsoldered the bolt from mine and set it on fire setting off the smoke alarm! It went very black but cleaned up OK after with a bit of elbow grease.
Old 30-04-10, 09:19 PM

Got a couple cleaned up so far, worth the £6.50 I think, more to come still. The nitromors worked well with a toothbrush Keith !
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img808.jpg (92.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg img811.jpg (88.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg img806.jpg (92.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg img809.jpg (94.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 30-04-10, 10:15 PM

Hi all,
these are obviously from a really old collection,it seems.
Have come across many the same over the years
Laquered or varnished (yuck) & sliders & lugs replaced by a
screw/bolt for fixing through a drilled hole in a wooden backing(usually also varnished).Shield shapes were popular.
Have seen them mounted with nuts on back as well !!
I have an MMG cap like this
Thank goodness this is no longer the fashion !!!
Nice to see them repaired so nicely ! Great work !
Cheers !
Steve (NZ)

Last edited by dragonz18; 30-04-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Got a couple cleaned up so far, worth the £6.50 I think, more to come still. The nitromors worked well with a toothbrush Keith !
Wilf.
hi wilf
nice repairs.
who did them and where did you get the lugs and sliders? is it alright to remove them from restrikes to use or is there a source for purchase?
bc
Old 01-05-10, 09:58 AM

Hi BC,
I cleaned them off myself then gave them to Magpie, he lives nearby. This is not to detract from Dave by the way, he does superb work too, but I can give them to Andy personally & he does them for me when he can. I pick up any broken badges I can find then he can re-use the sliders, lugs can be picked up these days, even on e-bay now ! Andy used the long lugs but cut the feet off for my HLI badge so I'm very happy. Cheers,
Wilf.
Old 01-05-10, 10:19 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Wilf,

I'm sure if I lived local to someone like Andy ( as in magpie ), I would use him too, he does a bloody good job and you've explained why I can't get any damaged parts of badges, you're keeping them all .

As for myself, I'm probably the same as Andy, I get a few, it's not a business and at the end of the day as long as the owners are happy so are we ?? oh, nice badges by the way !!!

Dave.
Old 01-05-10, 11:22 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Wilf,

I'm sure if I lived local to someone like Andy ( as in magpie ), I would use him too, he does a bloody good job and you've explained why I can't get any damaged parts of badges, you're keeping them all .

As for myself, I'm probably the same as Andy, I get a few, it's not a business and at the end of the day as long as the owners are happy so are we ?? oh, nice badges by the way !!!

Dave.
As someone who is making use of your skills to repair some of my badges, I will be sending you a package of badges that you are free to use as 'stock'. Consider it a token of my appreciation and an investment in making sure that you can continue to provide high quality workmanship.
david
Old 01-05-10, 11:30 AM

Hi David,

That would be greatly appreciated, I would wait until you receive your repairs back though seriously, I can't see a problem with the two I'm doing, I wish I was skillful enough to do the rather gorgeous R.Warks badge you've sent !!

Regards.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 15-07-10 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 11:43 AM

While talking of repairs, I have just received this one, it's for myself and I am assuming it to be a Sabretache/Pouch badge but does anyone know what and does anyone know what fixing method would be used, on this one I can only see evidence of one fitting ??

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new collections 010.jpg (79.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg new collections 011.jpg (84.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-05-10, 12:01 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
While talking of repairs, I have just received this one, it's for myself and I am assuming it to be a Sabretache/Pouch badge but does anyone know what and does anyone know what fixing method would be used, on this one I can only see evidence of one fitting ??

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Is it a cartouche badge? I don't have one as old as this but a QEII version I have has 3 fixing bolts. I seem to recall seeing a forum members album that had at least 3 versions.
Old 01-05-10, 12:08 PM

Hi David,

Thanks very much, I have six ( seven now ), one is an O/R's K.C. and five ( two Officers' ), all EIIR crowns, it's the diamond shaped centre that threw me !!

I think the member is going to be 1stTankie, I'll have a look............

Regards,

Dave.

PS, That's thrown a spanner etc..........all his are Cavalry so I guess this one isn't ???? ( is there an icon for uncool ??

DC.

Last edited by davec2; 01-05-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: PS
Old 01-05-10, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Hi David,

That would be greatly appreciated, I would wait until you receive your repairs badk though seriously, I can't see a problem with the two I'm doing, I wish I was skillful enough to do the rather gorgeous R.Warks badge you've sent !!

Regards.

Dave.
Nice to have you back dave and thanks for the comment earlier, you do a good job and are obviously thought highly of by your customers.Can you post a couple of pics of the rather gorgeous R.Warks badge so i can see what the problem is ,not offering to do the job but two heads are sometimes better than one.
Andy
Old 01-05-10, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Nice to have you back dave and thanks for the comment earlier, you do a good job and are obviously thought highly of by your customers.Can you post a couple of pics of the rather gorgeous R.Warks badge so i can see what the problem is ,not offering to do the job but two heads are sometimes better than one.
Andy
Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWarwicksRear.jpg (95.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RWarwicksRearDetail.jpg (76.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-05-10, 01:08 PM

Hi Dave and Andy,

The Warks is the type of repair I would attempt if it were my own ?!? but being realistic, it's too dangerous, the one I'm showing is the sort of repair I relish .......I hope you don't mind me showing one of yours David ??

Dave.

PS, A little ' brasso ' on the crown will darken it slightly ??

DC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David Wright Special 034.jpg (45.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg David Wright Special 035.jpg (41.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg David Wright Special 036.jpg (46.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg David Wright Special 037.jpg (43.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-05-10, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave and Andy,

The Warks is the type of repair I would attempt if it were my own ?!? but being realistic, it's too dangerous, the one I'm showing is the sort of repair I relish .......I hope you don't mind me showing one of yours David ??

Dave.

PS, A little ' brasso ' on the crown will darken it slightly ??

DC.

No problem at all. I posted it on the forum a little while ago anyway.
david