British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-15, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
I was never shy about talking about Michael (the tiny bit I knew), but you're right that before it was a kind of a taboo subject sadly. There are very few memorials that people know about to these brave men, but it is changing thankfully.

I'm from Donegal and, as you can imagine, SF are sadly quite popular around me, but they can do little to stop the committed. In fact, a memorial recently went up at home for the men. Not that I like the memorial itself, but I love the sentiment.
There are actually quite a few memorials. Michael Pegum has been trying to document them all on his Irish War Memorials website, with a lot of help from people like me. The problem was that the local councils didn't want to maintain them so until the movement for preserving old war memorials came about in the early 90's a lot of them were just being allowed to rot, except for the ones the British Legion in Dublin spotted.

The sculptor I used to replace the Smith Memorial beside Trinity College cricket pitch was referred by me to the Leinster Regiment Association and they immediately commissioned him to repair one of theirs in Birr (I think).

There is now, thankfully, a general acceptance (except from Sinn Fein) towards Remembrance and the part these men played in the history of Ireland and the Empire. Reconciliation is the name of the game now - what a pity it took almost 100 years eh?

Donegal man eh? Dried your tears yet after the All Ireland?
Old 27-01-15, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
Not that simple, ex service men were also actively recruited for their experience and skills,there was not a catch all policy regarding ex sevicemen, local politics and conditions came into play,some IRA units welcomed them while others did not trust them.
The first FS government actively recruited exservice men for the NA in the civil war.
It's never black and white when it comes to Ireland, it's just grey.
As a fellow Irishman I tend to agree. And in the strange world that is Irish politics you had some men who had previously been comrades fighting against each other in the Anglo/Irish War and again in the Civil War. Sure in the Civil War didn't Britain supply the artillery for the FS Army?

Odd bedfellows but Ireland is like that. We're a rare breed indeed.
Old 27-01-15, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
As a fellow Irishman I tend to agree. And in the strange world that is Irish politics you had some men who had previously been comrades fighting against each other in the Anglo/Irish War and again in the Civil War. Sure in the Civil War didn't Britain supply the artillery for the FS Army?

Odd bedfellows but Ireland is like that. We're a rare breed indeed.
They did indeed supply the artillery and if I recall correctly they also supplied expertise and training in the use of them.The fog of war?
Old 27-01-15, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Not that simple, ex service men were also actively recruited for their experience and skills,there was not a catch all policy regarding ex sevicemen, local politics and conditions came into play,some IRA units welcomed them while others did not trust them.
The first FS government actively recruited exservice men for the NA in the civil war.
It's never black and white when it comes to Ireland, it's just grey.
Grey, and shades of it! We're a complicated bunch of people.
Old 27-01-15, 05:53 PM

Quote:
There are actually quite a few memorials. Michael Pegum has been trying to document them all on his Irish War Memorials website, with a lot of help from people like me. The problem was that the local councils didn't want to maintain them so until the movement for preserving old war memorials came about in the early 90's a lot of them were just being allowed to rot, except for the ones the British Legion in Dublin spotted.

The sculptor I used to replace the Smith Memorial beside Trinity College cricket pitch was referred by me to the Leinster Regiment Association and they immediately commissioned him to repair one of theirs in Birr (I think).

There is now, thankfully, a general acceptance (except from Sinn Fein) towards Remembrance and the part these men played in the history of Ireland and the Empire. Reconciliation is the name of the game now - what a pity it took almost 100 years eh?

Donegal man eh? Dried your tears yet after the All Ireland?
You're right, of course, it's the disrepair they've fallen into that's a shame. The one we have is a modern sculpture, which is fine, but I don't get the symbology at all in it, I prefer the classic type celtic cross, or soldier figure if I'm honest. But it's good to have one at all.

Ah, thankfully for me I don't follow the GAA much, it's nice to see them win, but I don't lose any sleep over it if not. Are you a Kerryman?
Old 27-01-15, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You're right, of course, it's the disrepair they've fallen into that's a shame. The one we have is a modern sculpture, which is fine, but I don't get the symbology at all in it, I prefer the classic type celtic cross, or soldier figure if I'm honest. But it's good to have one at all.

Ah, thankfully for me I don't follow the GAA much, it's nice to see them win, but I don't lose any sleep over it if not. Are you a Kerryman?

No, I'm from Down. I was just teasing.
Old 27-01-15, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Ah Hussar,I heard that you're closet a hurling fan go to all the GAA matches
Old 27-01-15, 05:59 PM

Quote:
No reason not to mate, loads of us dirty Prods go to the GAA now - but in fact I don't attend any sporting events.
Old 27-01-15, 06:01 PM

Old 27-01-15, 06:07 PM

Quote:
No reason not to mate, loads of us dirty Prods go to the GAA now - but in fact I don't attend any sporting events.
Times are a changing, I watched cricket recently
Old 27-01-15, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Ah I suppose you have to tease someone to deflect attention from Down

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Actually, the first thing I ever watched in HD was cricket because I was amazed at how crisp it was. To be fair, Ireland are doing pretty well(ish) recently and it's an easy bandwagon to jump on.

Lads, if any of you are ever in Donegal, let me know. I'd like to get yous a drink in the local as a way of thanks.

Plus, there are some pretty good military sites around to see!
Old 28-01-15, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Are you over it yet?

Quote:
Ah I suppose you have to tease someone to deflect attention from Down

Actually, the first thing I ever watched in HD was cricket because I was amazed at how crisp it was. To be fair, Ireland are doing pretty well(ish) recently and it's an easy bandwagon to jump on.

Lads, if any of you are ever in Donegal, let me know. I'd like to get yous a drink in the local as a way of thanks.

Plus, there are some pretty good military sites around to see!
I'm not from Down, I just live here

Might well take you up on that pint offer someday. I've seen a couple of military sites up there - Fort Dunree for a start.
Old 28-01-15, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Are you over it yet?

I'm not from Down, I just live here

Might well take you up on that pint offer someday. I've seen a couple of military sites up there - Fort Dunree for a start.
Dunree is really good, Lenan Fort is good too because not too many know about it.

I actually can't find much about it online either.