British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-11, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
The 14th Royal Irish Rifles looks like it may be good. .
I agree fully from the images provided. Expect GBP 100 - 150 ish for this badge.
Old 08-09-11, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
A pal is a friend or mate- Pals battalions were formed in The Great War from men who worked together or lived in the same area. Your Birmingham Pals and Cardiff Pals badge do not look good. The 14th Royal Irish Rifles looks like it may be good. The Household Cavalry badges- Life guards and Horse Guards, do not look good. Lovely laid out collection. I am though glad you understand that not all will be original.Regards, Paul.
Those that have used eBay to sell badges recomend it- another option might be a militaria auction house, but they may well only want to sell certain items- and make charges. Not had to sell a collection myself. Best wishes with it. Don't though feel rushed-Good badges will make good money and in general prices are going up.
Agreed. I'd say several of the Kitchener (Pals) badges look good. Difficult to be 100% without the rear photos, but you will get good prices for the one John mentions above, the Tyneside Scottish Round badge in particular, and Leeds and Border regt, if genuine.
Regards, Neil
Old 08-09-11, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Hi Chrissy,
This amazing collection has taken years to amass and many months to display.
It is sad that after all that effort this can be broken up again in a matter of hours or days.
Your father and his brothers have captured a large part of the British armies history during the twentieth centaury, and some.
Thank you for letting us see them.
Eddie
Thank you for you'r very kind comments ebro.
I'm very very proud of the the efforts made to put this collection together, like I said a lifetimes work of gentlemen and I will treat them with the respect they deserve.
Its a collection started from the 1930s/40s by avid collectors like yourselves, I'm so pleased that you'r enjoying seeing them, as I'm sure my dad and Uncles are/would be, and I'm very glad I choose it to be on this forum because I'm sure as collectors you appreciate them as much as we do.

Many thanks Chrissy
Old 08-09-11, 01:55 PM

Heres a few more

Regards Chrissy
Old 09-09-11, 08:56 PM

Thank you all so much for the information and advice you've all given me, it will help me such a lot.

If any of you spot what you think are restrikes or fakes, please let me know it will help my hunt through the tins.

Thanks again Chrissy
Old 19-09-11, 12:53 PM

I now have the full collection and the boxes of spares with me, so once I learn how to post to a site and upload to the forum I shall post some pictures of them. I have noticed that some of the ones that you pointed out were restrikes have duplicates in the boxes, so I'm hoping they are good ones.
Im going to try and identify the ones loose in boxes from the ref books I have, but there are so many its going to take me a long long time.
If any of you have an interest in regiments in particular please don't hesitate to let me know and I shall add them to the list of London regiments and Marines that I'm already looking for to post here.
Thanks for all the help and advice I've received so far from you all, and also my father would like to send you all his gratitude.
Chrissy

Last edited by chrissy28; 19-09-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 19-09-11, 09:21 PM

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

These are a few examples of the badges in boxes that I have not posted yet
If you know what they are please post them here. Its my first attempt, next time it will be in daylight. These ones are not on a board so I can post the backs of them too if needed.

Many Thanks Chrissy
Old 19-09-11, 10:23 PM

Looks like bad Hawke, Tyneside Irish and Connaught Rangers. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 21-09-11 at 09:53 PM.
Old 19-09-11, 10:49 PM
Banned

I like the RE EVllR with the long slider. Pic 3 Bottom Left.

Regards

Ry
Old 20-09-11, 10:46 AM

The RE EviiiR in the second pic and the LRDG in the first are not good.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 20-09-11, 12:39 PM

The Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry is not right I'm afraid.

I would also ask someone who can be trusted to have a look at the pre-territorial glengarry badges, the larger badges in number sequence, as the 41st is missing. This is often the case with sets of modern copies as this badge has not been mass copied to date and is therefore not part of the 'set'.
Old 21-09-11, 03:24 PM

Thanks very much for the information, I'll be taking more pictures of the ones in boxes and posting them here soon, but I'm grateful for the help and advice so far from you all.

Chrissy
Old 21-09-11, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
The Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry is not right I'm afraid.

I would also ask someone who can be trusted to have a look at the pre-territorial glengarry badges, the larger badges in number sequence, as the 41st is missing. This is often the case with sets of modern copies as this badge has not been mass copied to date and is therefore not part of the 'set'.
Thanks for that, when I do open the case I'll have a look in our Kipling and King book before I can find "someone I trust". Your help is much appreciated 41st.
Old 22-09-11, 04:40 PM

Here's a few more I have to find out about

Chrissy
Old 24-07-13, 04:01 PM

Firstly an apology for my absence, much has happened since my last post which has made me reluctantly have to put this to one side, but I'm now at a stage where I can start again.
My sincere apologies to anyone that I've promised badges, pictures and information to, if you'd like to pm me to remind me I will reply as soon as possible as I still have the whole collection and have not parted with any yet.
I've found more tins of badges, buttons, soldiers in uniform pictures, military books, medals, letters and war documents from as early as 1896 which once I'm back on track I shall photograph and post.
The past few months whilst looking for the above, I've also found out a lot about my grandfathers service in WW1 which I previously posted asking for help and information on him, of which I'm very grateful as its lead me to a book he's mentioned in from his time in the 9th East Surreys and a 4 page letter dated October 22nd 1915 held in TNA ,on an account of a days battle at Loos, very informative and very moving.
Im currently trying to decipher war diary intelligence reports from the Royal Engineers 172 tunnelling company from his time serving with them,at hill 60 etc, to show to my father who is now 90.
Once again my apologies to anyone who's been waiting to hear back from me, please pm me and I shall be in touch promptly.

Chrissy