British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-20, 05:30 PM

Default 2 Belts

Good evening,

could you help me to identify these belts ?

Laurent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb1.jpg (103.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg sb2.jpg (108.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg sb3.jpg (45.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 19-04-20, 05:38 PM

The red, white and blue one is the Royal Corps of Transport (1965-1993). This one is the first pattern, later ones had chrome-plated clasps.
Old 19-04-20, 05:51 PM

I have one of the green stable belts but don't know which unit it's to, I'd be interested to find out too (Royal Irish Rangers, Gurkhas?).
Old 19-04-20, 06:08 PM

The Royal Green Jackets.
Old 19-04-20, 06:09 PM

An obvious one I forgot to suggest - thanks for that.
Old 19-04-20, 06:23 PM

Thank you for your quick reply

Laurent
Old 19-04-20, 07:05 PM

Default Green stable belt

Could also be II Squadron Honourable Artillery Company - they prefer the smooth finish to the belt, as shown in the photograph, rather than the ribbed version worn by the RGJ/ Rifles.
Old 19-04-20, 08:37 PM

The all green one could also be the Rhodesian Defence Regiment (RDR). Very similar - black leather.
Old 20-04-20, 08:55 AM

Presumably a fairly recently made example, as it has black plastic buckles with metal tongues?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200420_094625308_HDR~2.jpg (55.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200420_094612725~2.jpg (117.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 22-11-20, 08:05 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Good evening all.

The green belt was worn by the Royal Irish Rangers. The Royal Green Jackets belt was exactly the same but without black leather/plastic covering to the buckles. When I was RGJ attached to 1 R IRISH in 1991, this subtle difference caused confusion and mirth in equal measure. "Why are you wearing 'our' stable belt?" was a typical question and "what's wrong with your stable belt?" being another!

For clarity, please note that the RGJ and 1 R IRISH are both smooth without ribbing. The Light Infantry wore a belt per the RGJ but it was ribbed. RIFLES wear this ribbed version today.

Both RGJ and RIFLES wore/wear their belt buckles to the front, rather than to the left side.

I'll hunt out my RGJ belt and post a pic...

Mark
Old 22-11-20, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McClelland-Jones View Post
Good evening all.

The green belt was worn by the Royal Irish Rangers. The Royal Green Jackets belt was exactly the same but without black leather/plastic covering to the buckles. When I was RGJ attached to 1 R IRISH in 1991, this subtle difference caused confusion and mirth in equal measure. "Why are you wearing 'our' stable belt?" was a typical question and "what's wrong with your stable belt?" being another!

For clarity, please note that the RGJ and 1 R IRISH are both smooth without ribbing. The Light Infantry wore a belt per the RGJ but it was ribbed. RIFLES wear this ribbed version today.

Both RGJ and RIFLES wore/wear their belt buckles to the front, rather than to the left side.

I'll hunt out my RGJ belt and post a pic...

Mark
If the "ribbed belt" has a chrome adjuster it is Light Infantry, if the adjuster is black then it is the Rifles pattern (and therefore post 2007), buckles to the front and points of straps pointing to the wearer's left. Originally (and when I first wore an LI Stable belt circa 1974/75) the buckles were worn on the left with the points of the straps pointing to the wearer's rear.

PL
Old 22-11-20, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
If the "ribbed belt" has a chrome adjuster it is Light Infantry, if the adjuster is black then it is the Rifles pattern (and therefore post 2007), buckles to the front and points of straps pointing to the wearer's left. Originally (and when I first wore an LI Stable belt circa 1974/75) the buckles were worn on the left with the points of the straps pointing to the wearer's rear.

PL
Interesting Paul,I just checked some images I have. Circa 2000 ,LI stable worn with the buckles at the.front . So at some point the wearing position was changed.

Just for a bit of fun,The Staffords wore the adjuster at the front and the Carabiniers I think it was had 2 leather strips on the belt which were worn to the front.
Old 23-11-20, 10:46 AM

May be wrong but I think The Lancastrian Brigade wore a stable belt of similar colour to the one in the photo in the original post.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-11-20, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Interesting Paul,I just checked some images I have. Circa 2000 ,LI stable worn with the buckles at the.front . So at some point the wearing position was changed.

Just for a bit of fun,The Staffords wore the adjuster at the front and the Carabiniers I think it was had 2 leather strips on the belt which were worn to the front.
I seem to recall we started to wear buckles fastened at the front in the early 1990s (certainly before 1993)

Paul
Old 23-11-20, 05:14 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Thanks for this, Paul. Good to know.

Mark