British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-21, 02:25 PM

After getting the "silver gilt" WS badge I saw another WS badge listed as "1976 dated ( Queens Silver Jubilee) Royal British Legion Womens Section Badge".

Being my usual curious self , I took a closer look and it was in fact a hallmarked silver badge ! This must have escaped the attention of others as I stuck on a bid and got it for £5.50 .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Silver 1.jpg (114.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WS Silver 2.jpg (103.4 KB, 16 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-04-21, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Any more thoughts on the BL Remembrance badge and/or a possible date for the branch badge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The West Bridgford branch was inaugurated in 1935 and is still going today , I have dropped their chairman an e-mail (he is ex Royal Artillery) and see if he can provide any information.

Edit : Just got a reply , unfortunately the branch closed due to diminishing membership but the ex-chairman is going to ask the members support officer at the country branch to see if they have any information.

Got a reply back but unfortunately they could not provide any additional information.

Old 20-06-21, 01:31 PM

Default Membership Cards

Just got a membership card with the original receipt and badge attached , now have 3 different era/branch versions.

1. British Legion Scotland 1946 - came with 'standard' BL badge.

2. British Legion 1946 .

3. Plastic BL card folder - Pre 1971 , so probably from 1960's.

4. Royal British Legion 1981 - came with badge and subscription receipt.

NB. Also saw a BL 1947 card with badge number 112608 written on it , this appears to show that previous "guestimates" about badge/membership numbers was wrong.

Gaunt started producing the smaller British Legion badges in 1946 and when the original numbers reached 999,999 they started using an 'A' prefix (later series had 'A1').

The "Membership" list in Graham Wootton's (1956) book did not take into account lapsed (soldiers serving overseas) , those who did not renew , members who had died or the numerous 'honorary' members. So the 'numbers' he used (members) fall far short of the actual numbers of badges that had been issued.

Based on the badges I have (or have seen) I would estimate that badge numbers reached 999,999 in 1946 and the 'A' prefix was then used , starting again at 1. Immediately post WW2 there would have been a surge in membership with veterans returning home and joining (rejoining ?) the British Legion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL Scotland Card and badge.jpg (86.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg BL card 2.jpg (42.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BL card cover.jpg (24.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RBL card 1981.jpg (45.4 KB, 14 views)

Old 30-06-21, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I just got hold of "The Story of an Epic Pilgrimage" (A Souvenir of the Battlefields Pilgrimage) , an excellent book detailing the organisation and first hand details from start to finish of the event.

What I now need to acquire is the yellow covered "guide book" that was issued to each traveller (I have a 'downloaded' version but want the real thing) , this comprehensive 'booklet' covers everything the pilgrims needed to know. There are sections on the train journey , accomodation , meals , currency and even the type of footwear recommended.

NB. If anyone sees (or knows of a copy for sale) could they please let me know , thank you.

I'm still looking for a copy of the "guide book" but have just got hold of the official 'Pilgrimage 1928' set of postcards. These show the early CWGC
British cemeteries.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Postcards 1.jpg (62.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Postcards 2.jpg (56.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Postcards 3.jpg (82.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 30-06-21, 01:42 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
I'm still looking for a copy of the "guide book" but have just got hold of the official 'Pilgrimage 1928' set of postcards. These show the early CWGC
British cemeteries.

Very nice find indeed. The postcards appear to be in excellent condition for their age. Well done.
Cheers
James
Old 30-06-21, 04:31 PM

The cards are all still attached to the 'booklet' and have the original 'tissue paper' pages between each card.

While the whole booklet is a bit "grubby" it is a great addition to my other Pilgrimage items.

Old 15-07-21, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I have three of the badges issued to the 'pilgrims' and had thought that the letters on them simply related to the branch/area they came from but the book also details which town/railway station each group would be going to.

D - South Western - St.Omer.
A bit more info about the D group :

Quote:
The South West British Legion were known as ‘Party D’. This comprised of members from Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire & Dorset.

‘Party D’ were billeted in the French town of St. Omer, and at the end of their very successful stay, the town mayor presented the Party leader (Mr. Percy Barton) with a scroll recording that all Pilgrims of ‘D Party’ had been enrolled Honorary Citizens of St. Omer.

Old 16-07-21, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Got a reply back but unfortunately they could not provide any additional information.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your efforts. I think all of this is too far back in the mists of time. The thing is that we enthusiasts probably know more about this stuff than the organisations!

I guess that makes sense as you have to be a bit determined to dig it out!

Any more thoughts on the Remembrance Day badge with the three crosses and the three poppies?
Old 16-07-21, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Any more thoughts on the Remembrance Day badge with the three crosses and the three poppies?
Sorry , haven't found anything .... too many branches - not enough info.

I think most branches at some point had badges made , I've lots of them , but when branches closed the history was lost.

I know there were short lived branches in Australia , New Zealand and even New York but finding detailed information is proving very difficult.

Old 16-07-21, 11:35 PM

Hi Mike

New York?????? Wonders will never cease! It wouldn't be any fun if you could just Google it and it popped up anyway.

On the subject of far-flung branches, I have a Mons Star Association badge for New South Wales (super item!) which I must post at some point.
Old 16-07-21, 11:38 PM

Quote:
British cemeteries.

Footwear? I wonder how many of the pilgrims wore their old service boots? I heard of one veteran who would dig out and wear his pair every ANZAC Day.
Old 17-07-21, 07:17 AM

Quote:

New York?????? Wonders will never cease!
Don't know exactly when the branch was 'founded' but they appear to have been associated/connected to the British Great War Veterans of America (which was incorported in 1920). The branch was definitely still active in May 1935 as that is when the medallion , commemorating the 'Silver Jubilee of H.M King George V , was issued/presented.

Old 18-07-21, 01:21 AM

Hi Mike and others

Here are three BL "bits" that I've had for some time. The Life Member is included more for scale but you might like to comment as to a vague dating for it.

The Challenge Shield is presumably for athletics but when I went to look at the hallmarks (1935-36) I see that the maker's mark has been overstamped on another maker's mark! The visible mark is "A R & ???" but the other one could be "T.F." (Thomas Fattorini).

But why?

Lastly there is the small brass "commemorative". Maybe hard to read but it is for "Crich Comrades Club & British Legion". Thomas Fattorini produced that one!

Comments welcome as always!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blbits.jpg (40.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg blbits1.jpg (36.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 18-07-21, 01:30 AM

OK, this is what the overstamp should be. The mark of Alfred Roden & Sons (1922-49).

Found on fobs (like this one!) and other small items.

Still trying to work out what the other, obliterated, mark is and why it might have been overstamped. It would have to have been done before it was enameled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar&s.JPG (11.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 18-07-21, 01:37 AM

Yep, Thomas Fattorini. Mark from 1909 to 1938. A big maker of this kind of stuff, so why the overstamp.

Would this have been legal at the time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tf.JPG (10.2 KB, 0 views)