British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-09, 01:02 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Marine Labour Corps

Thoughts on this one please?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Mar 09 009.jpg (48.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Mar 09 008.jpg (55.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Mar 09 007.jpg (38.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-03-09, 02:11 PM

Andy

Attached are a couple of pics of the badge of the RMLC that I have. I bought it a few years ago from a dealer in Canada. The striking on the front of our badges look the same and the main difference is that mine has lugs while yours has a slider, albeit mine seems to have had at least one if not both lugs repaired, there is no sign of it ever having been fitted with a slider. The badge is very strong even around the base of the ship and it is in brass (have attached a 2nd pic of the front to emphasise the yellow colour compared to the front & back pic) as stated in K&K (Fig 1098). I have also attached a front and back pic of a badge I saw on the internet a few years ago. There are several obvious differences between our badges and this one. This one is pierced/voided in several areas around the globe and has a strengthening piece attached behind the ship. The other differences are mainly on the ship, there appears to be more detail in ours especially around the yardarms. This 2nd badge however, appears to be in Gilding Metal and not brass.

I have seen it mentioned before, not sure where, that the genuine badges were pierced/voided and that all non pierced/voided badges are fakes, unable to say whether the badge shown in K&K is pierced/voided. I am also interested in seeing the comments/opinions on these different badges.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMLC.jpg (44.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Labour Corps (Br).JPG (44.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Labour Corps (Br) 1.jpg (26.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Labour Corps (Br)(Rear)1.jpg (25.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-03-09, 02:29 PM
Former Member

Red face

Paddy,
I've got these two as well, however having seen the voided badge you have posted, I know which one my money would be on!! Best I put ALL mine back in the drawer marked "Hookey!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Mar 09 010.jpg (61.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Mar 09 011.jpg (61.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-03-09, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I would not touch an unvoided one without the strengthener bar.
I would be delighted to have the one shown in Paddy's post (unfortunately not the one that he owns)..

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 09-03-09 at 12:31 PM.