British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-13, 01:16 PM

Default Whitehouse

I knew a veteran of the KSLI who always said it was them in former times.
Old 14-11-13, 02:31 PM

Simon,

There are those of us here in the former colonies who, from time to time, usually about every four years, would be glad to see ya'll come back and do it again.

Don
Old 14-11-13, 03:00 PM

You and me both Don............

I'm coming to the conclusion it's going t take something as drastic as 1776 all over again to get everything back on track......not sure though if you've got it in you anymore........

This is my take on where your going with that comment Don.

I stand in, well disgust at the illogical running of what really was a logical Anglo-Saxon method of management of a great nation. This tradition left to you colonists of an Anglo-Saxon approach to government is being diluted and forgotten. I don't think the American's in general realize they are the continuation of a great tradition of perseverance and fortitude that did, despite what is said; conquer the world. It's legacy is disappearing and irrelevant of Democrat or Republican. In the long run it will be the average American that will pay the price. Not the minority that Lords it over you all. Seems very similar to pre 1776 in all way's really.

It's gone full circle. But unfortunately the predominance of Anglo-Saxon tradition that we bequeathed you has been irradiated.

Now where are my matches.........

Well that's all IMO.

Cheers
Simon

P.S. I read somewhere that when a tour goes around the White House they ask if there are Brits in the party. And if yes, to hand over lighters and matches.....
Old 14-11-13, 03:21 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
........Funny Colin.

I actually thought that it would be fun to try and do something for every British war etc. But in research I find that there is only about 20 countries we didn't invade in history. Based on that, I'd need a house the size of the Albert Hall to hang them in, let alone the permission of the wife to hang them in the first place....

Thanks for the pointer on the book Hussar. I might try and pick up a copy on ebay. I get the impression that from a British perspective, we don;t seem to have this as a stand out in our history. Maybe didn't want to upset the "special" relationship over the years......

Regards
Simon
Simon, Sounds like quite a good excuse to justify a move "up" - she gets bigger wardrobes for clothes and more shoes racks etc - you get a few extra "Insignia" rooms. David
Old 14-11-13, 03:31 PM

Military Uniforms in America (MUIA) plate 98 shows the 85th setting fire to the interior of the President's House (subsequently the White House).
Old 14-11-13, 03:34 PM

Hi Dave, yeah. But I consider my house now too big. I'd like to move to something smaller. I don't live in half of it........

I always said, if I won the lottery, I'd need another house next door for all my crap.......

Simon
Old 14-11-13, 06:55 PM

Simon,

Meet me at the White House. You bring the matches. I'll bring the marshmallows. Seriously, I recently read that we Americans are a practical bunch, who will do the right thing, once we have done everything else. The last part is, of course, Churchill. We have been down this road now for just over 100 years. I hope we now figure out what the right thing to do is. What I find frightening is that the two sides have mutually exclusive visions which make compromise difficult in the extreme. The last time this happened was in 1860. You are right about who will be hurt.

As far as housing your growing collection, you should consider buying an acreage in western Nebraska. Land is cheap and you could have a much larger home for the money. The downside is your closest neighbors would be cattle and rattlesnakes. The cattle prefer to be left alone, and the rattlesnakes should be. The worst thing that could happen is that when you return to the UK someone would refer to you as a cowboy. You will know you have been Americanized if you consider it a complement. You would be following in the tradition of the
Englishmen who helped settle the American West.

Don
Old 14-11-13, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Simon,

Meet me at the White House. You bring the matches. I'll bring the marshmallows. Seriously, I recently read that we Americans are a practical bunch, who will do the right thing, once we have done everything else. The last part is, of course, Churchill. We have been down this road now for just over 100 years. I hope we now figure out what the right thing to do is. What I find frightening is that the two sides have mutually exclusive visions which make compromise difficult in the extreme. The last time this happened was in 1860. You are right about who will be hurt.

As far as housing your growing collection, you should consider buying an acreage in western Nebraska. Land is cheap and you could have a much larger home for the money. The downside is your closest neighbors would be cattle and rattlesnakes. The cattle prefer to be left alone, and the rattlesnakes should be. The worst thing that could happen is that when you return to the UK someone would refer to you as a cowboy. You will know you have been Americanized if you consider it a complement. You would be following in the tradition of the
Englishmen who helped settle the American West.

Don
And the Irishmen, and Scotsmen. *sings* an Uncle Tom Cobbley an alllllll, and Uncle Tom Cobbley an allllll.
Old 14-11-13, 07:09 PM

You know what it is Don for me. The issue is when America ambled along trying to get to do the right thing, the world was a slower place and you could take 10 years getting to the "right answer". But with the world is as it is today with communications etc, time is short and the damage multiply's ten fold per year.

It'll get to the point that when as Churchill intimated, the right thing is reached , it'll be too late. The damage will be done. You could take your time when money was flowing and the check book was in the black.

But with the present situation, only time will tell when the one's making today's decisions, turn around and say. Sorry folks we thought it was the right thing to do........but you'll get that via a postcard from their homes off shore with their ill gotten gains......
Old 14-11-13, 07:59 PM

Hussar,

The Englishmen I was referring to were owners, mainly absentee, who owned huge ranches in the late 1800's. The Irish built the transcontinental railroad and served in the US Army. The Scots settled in newly established towns. Didn't mean to slight either of them.

Simon,

I read what you say with great interest. The US Constitution was written to resist reaction to a popular fad. The problem is it also makes a major change of direction difficult, no matter how necessary. I could write my essay on how corrupt the US government is here but I'm afraid Mike would have kittens. I often feel these are years the locusts are eating.

Don
Old 14-11-13, 10:38 PM

The Englishmen I was referring to were owners, mainly absentee, who owned huge ranches in the late 1800's

Don,
Change the word Ranch to Estate and you could be talking about Ireland.
Eddie
Old 14-11-13, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
The Englishmen I was referring to were owners, mainly absentee, who owned huge ranches in the late 1800's

Don,
Change the word Ranch to Estate and you could be talking about Ireland.
Eddie
How else are you supposed to spread light and culture to a dark and barren world................
Old 15-11-13, 05:47 AM

Eddie,

I don't know a great deal about Irish history. Interesting comparison. Many of the English ranchers lost most of their investment in the late 1800's when a blizzard wiped out most of their herds. That and the end of the open range.

Don
Old 15-11-13, 11:13 AM

Ross Monument, Rostrevor, County Down, Northern Ireland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ross-monument.jpg (17.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 15-11-13, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hussar,

The Englishmen I was referring to were owners, mainly absentee, who owned huge ranches in the late 1800's. The Irish built the transcontinental railroad and served in the US Army. The Scots settled in newly established towns. Didn't mean to slight either of them.

Simon,

<snip>

Don
Simon I was only making a wee joke. Hence the smiley face. Please don't take me seriously.

Quote:
Eddie,

I don't know a great deal about Irish history. Interesting comparison. Many of the English ranchers lost most of their investment in the late 1800's when a blizzard wiped out most of their herds. That and the end of the open range.

Don
I know a lot about Irish history but there's always something new to learn, that's why this site is so fascinating for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jembo View Post
Ross Monument, Rostrevor, County Down, Northern Ireland.
Do you know, I've driven past this monument a thousand times. It faces out to the bay. I never knew who or what it was for. I always assumed it was a memorial to lost seamen or similar. Thank you so much for posting this information.