British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-13, 03:27 PM

Default Interesting Photo of Victorian MAA & Ship's Corporals

I picked up this super photo recently & would like to share it with the membership, primarily for those mates interested in Victorian Naval insignia & uniforms...

Its a posed studio photo, large (11" x 8") & is very sharp & clear for the time period.

Its interesting for a couple of reasons ...

The MAA (the CPO in the centre wearing the sword) & the 4 Ship's Corporals are wearing no rate insignia on their tunics & the Ship's Corporals have no cap badge on their peaked caps.

I knew why no rate badges but why no cap badges???

Well I looked up the 1979 Dress Regulations & find that Ship's Corporals (among other rates, including Sick Berth Stewards, Ship's Stewards, Writers,
Ship's Cook, Schoolmasters, & various Artisan rates) wear no cap badge, & that was new information to me.

Their tunic is also described as: "a round, blue, navy cloth double breasted jacket, six (black) horn buttons on jacket and waistcoat(vest), & no cap badge"

One can see in the photo of the Ship's Corporals that they are pretty much following these regs, however the buttons are 5 on each side of their jackets with 1 being concealed below the lapels.

The necktie is just described as "black" but one can see two styles worn in the photo - the short bow style tie that is partially worn under the shirt collar (this style of tie was worn up to & during the Great War by PO's & CPO's), & the longer straight tie worn by the tall ShCpl in the back row.

The jackets could presumably be worn buttoned up double breasted style if required. Interesting how they are fastened by the looped buttons.

Now the MAA I knew was the only CPO allowed to wear a Frock Coat & Warrant Officer's sword, but it should have a black grip instead of a white grip as his has.
The MAA wore a cap badge embroidered all in gold, similar to the Seaman CPO's cap badge.
& the MAA wore the three distinctive cuff buttons worn by Warrant Officers. Inthat time frame the only other CPOs' that wore the cuff buttons were Head Schoolmasters & Chief ERA's.

& why no rate badges? MAA & Ship's Corporal rec'd their NP rate badges in 1890, so photo definitely predates 1890.

So I am estimating this photo dates from sometime in the 1879-1889 period. & I think I can narrow it down further as the Sh Cpl on the left standing, is wearing what I think I the IGS medal for the Perak campaign of 1875-76. None of them are wearing the Egypt 1882 campaign medal, & I feel if this was post 1883 at least one of them would have rec'd an Egypt medal as it was widely distributed to ships on the Med station serving in the Egyptian theatre of operations. So I am thinking the photo dates from around the 1879-1882 time frame, & it could even be prior to '79.

& one more mystery --- inked on the bottom of the photo mount is
"General's Rock". I am assuming this might be where it was taken, perhaps the studio overlooked General's rock?? - Any one have any idea what or where General's Rock might signify?

Thanks,

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo 2.jpg (52.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo.jpg (56.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo MAA sword.jpg (56.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo MAA sw 2.jpg (52.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo MAA cap b.jpg (40.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo3.jpg (46.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo4.jpg (38.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo medal.jpg (39.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo 6.jpg (41.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Sh Cpl photo insig.jpg (53.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 14-05-13, 04:03 PM

Hi Bryan

There is a "General's Rock" just off the coast of Gozo, Malta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus_Rock

There is also a "General's Rock" at Granton, Edinburgh:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site...ock+pipe+line/

The photos of the rock in Malta don't appear to show any sizeable settlement, perhaps the name was used by a studio in one of the larger towns?

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-05-13, 04:33 PM

Thanks Graham, I too thought Generals Rock might be the Studio name.

Bryan
Old 23-05-13, 09:54 AM

Hi Bryan

Great Photograph.

John