British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-12, 03:54 PM

Default RMA cap badges - varying sizes, walking out badges

Saw the below offered for sale today and found it fascinating - clarifying something in a recent thread but throwing some other badges into some doubt.

Within a recent thread there was a query about varying sizes of the grenade and flames of the RMA cap badge. What I had seen in some pics led me to believe that there was a difference in size between the basic badge and that of the gilt/giilded SNCO badge - when I saw it in the flesh today confirmed that, the flames on the SNCO one are certainly slightly narrower than the basic badge - and the collar of the bomb that the flames errupt from is slightly different too.

The big 'wow'????? aspect of this item was, if it is genuine, is the fact that the Lance Bombadier walking out badge has no grenade piece at all - and in both the Bombadier and Sergeant versions the grenade is actually separated from the stripes. Every version I have ever seen have the grenade joined to the stripes - and a grenade on all three.
The pic was taken with my camera phone so, if you cannot read it, the card reads 'ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY These badges were obtained from a private source having been in the families possession since at least WWI, belonging to owner's father (Cinque Ports Fortress Engineers) whose father was a Marine. UNDRESS-CAP (PILLBOX) 1855-1857

Any thoughts, information welcomed
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMA split.jpg (41.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 25-03-12, 07:31 PM

Hi Ray,
My first thought was were the lugs e/w or n/s?

Andy
Old 26-03-12, 05:58 AM

Default Great minds ........

Morning Andy
My first thought also - and the lugs on both grenades were North/South

I wondered if anyone has any photo (in use or from museum) that would be good enough to be able to spot whether the two pieces were joined or not.

Ray
Old 27-03-12, 10:07 PM

Evening Ray - in Regiment magazine Jan/Feb 2001, Royal Marines part1 there is a photo on page 51 of the Lance Bombadier badge on a pill box cap with grenade and chevron. However the caption describes the photo as "a marine of the Royal Marine Artillery in Full Dress 1871-1878". Typo perhaps?
Old 28-03-12, 06:15 AM

Default Spaced or joined

Morning abu
Well that possibly clears up one aspect on whether the Lance Bombadier had the grenade or not (as the card they were on appeared to have been done by the seller rather than the owner I did wonder whether the greande had got lost somewhere along the line.

Does the picture you refer to have enough clarity to tell whether the grenade is joined to the chevron or not?
Ray
Old 28-03-12, 04:29 PM

Hello Ray, it certainly looks joined, in as much as you cannot see any of the red? cap band between the grenade and chevron - the ball is well down inside the angle. I'll try and scan the picture and post it if possible.

Pete
Old 20-05-13, 07:48 PM

Default lance bombadiers undress badge

interesting pic,seems no grenade and different shape to chevron..
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rm2 001.jpg (40.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 21-05-13, 07:25 PM

Default Very Interesting

Thanks for posting that Bob
Certainly looks like no grenade there and as you say, larger looking chevron with curving perhaps
Ray
Old 22-05-13, 07:31 PM

its also interesting because the photo dates from the 1870s.
Bob