British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-19, 12:30 AM

Default Combinations

For the information of those who come later to the subject here is a link to an earlier thread I started showing the pitfalls that we face.

Stephen.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=70020
Old 25-04-19, 01:43 AM

Thanks for that. That Middlesex example at the start of that thread would not have fooled even me however.
Genuine examples that I have seen on the web have almost invariably exhibited a certain saltiness and crudity of construction incorporating differing threads and construction. Additionally, the vast majority would seem to have been used and I would conjecture that mint unworn examples should not be commonly encountered.
I am also aware of the website mentioned which must have some undoubtedly very good examples, but at rather frightening prices; to me at least.

CB
Old 25-04-19, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymro View Post
Great shot. The chap standing on the right seems have a brassard type arrangement often worn by the Canadians...
I think its a fold in the fabric of his shirt, but look at the Brigadier's left upper arm - the combination on a rectangular patch dangling from his epaulette.
Old 25-04-19, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I think its a fold in the fabric of his shirt, but look at the Brigadier's left upper arm - the combination on a rectangular patch dangling from his epaulette.
Ah yes, lovely. An even better photo than I thought, with the basic shoulder slide to the chap on the right too. Shots like this are so revealing.

Shifting rather clumsily onto an incomplete combination I picked up an age ago, would I presume correctly that the missing sign is that of the 51st Div here? It's a division I'm rather weak on. What would the battalion be (Black Watch presumably) and why the white brigade bars as opposed to red?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6047.jpg (63.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6053.jpg (66.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6056.jpg (71.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by cymro; 25-04-19 at 10:12 AM. Reason: error
Old 25-04-19, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Very good! Here's an excellent image of the flash for HQ 11 Inf Bde (the inverted triangle) being worn by the Bde Comd and one of his Staff officers. CO and Driver are 2 LF I believe.
Attachment 205820
Is there a date on that picture? My uncle was a signaller in 11 Bde HQ in Italy
Old 01-07-19, 11:01 PM

Well, I have been studying up with regard to these combinations, and have come to the conclusion that are indeed a bit of a minefield.
Even on dealers sites, I see examples that I would not want. As these were apparently made up in the field or by any soldier that could use a sewing machine, no real rules apply with regard to sizes, materials etc. As long as the badging up conformed to the prescribed order, anything else goes.
Arm of service strips follow no particular size, applied regimental designs follow no particular size or material they are made from, BD material, shirt material, KD were all used. etc.
Most appear to have machine sewing, but hand stitching is also evident, sometimes both on the same combination.
It would appear that whatever was available was utilized in their construction.
One constant would seem to be that most genuine examples tend to exhibit considerable wear and age, leading me to doubt many that look more or less unworn.
A rather interesting field of collecting I must say. Any further input would certainly be appreciated.

CB