British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-16, 10:41 AM

Default Cloth Naval Badge...

Hi all...

Just wondering if anyone can identify this cloth naval badge before I chuck it it a job lot of military bits I'm getting rid off? Any opinion on what it is or age will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150257.jpg (89.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1150258.jpg (78.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1150256.jpg (76.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 14-05-16, 11:45 AM

These shipping badges are heavily faked these days.
An original will sell quite well under its own steam as long as you add enough pictures to convince bidders that it is not a cheap chinese copy.

I do not know its name.
I think you may find it in the Lloyds flag book:
http://library.mysticseaport.org/ini...61&ChapterId=8
Old 14-05-16, 12:06 PM

Its Bibby Line
Old 14-05-16, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the id, I'd just started looking through the 98 pages of Bttns link above so it will save me some time! It looks original to me and came in a lot of cWWI bits that were def period but I know some of the copies can be deceiving. Either way I think it will be worth giving it a shot on it's own rather than chucking it in a job lot.

Phil
Old 14-05-16, 12:27 PM

Its probably around 15 quid on average, its not an area i collect to, as they didnt have defence contracts (that i know of) I just see them in passing.

Edit: just found that they ran troop ships in the 1950s.
Old 14-05-16, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Its probably around 15 quid on average, its not an area i collect to, as they didnt have defence contracts (that i know of) I just see them in passing.

Edit: just found that they ran troop ships in the 1950s.
Hi Phil, Bibby line sort of do have defence contracts. Bibby is now Bibby ship management (part of the Andrew Weir Shipping empire) and manage Foreland shipping which make up the strategic Sealift Service, that provide logistical sea lift facilities in the form of the Ro/Ro vessels Anvil point and Hartland Point, that carry out a function that was previously provided by the RFA vessels Sea Crusader and Sea Centurion. All ratings and officers serving with Foreland shipping are Merchant Navy but also have to become sponsored reservists in the Royal Naval Reserve and in time of war/conflict become serving ranks in the Royal Navy.

Regards

Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 14-05-16 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake