British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-15, 03:33 PM

Yes, you're right, Peter. I should have some notes concerning Maltese personnel of the local Bn. The officers, naturally, were from senior management.
I am posting a cast copy of the Band's ornate plate, made for me by a collector friend many years ago. Afraid scan is a bit blurred but at least it gives an indication of the pride these Bns had.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDBbandplate.jpg (47.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-10-15, 07:23 PM

It would make sense that the command structure would mirror, at least loosely, the management structure of the companies from which the bttns recruited, so presumably some units could afford the very best in accoutrements and appointments. A very nice Plate indeed and certainly worth a few shillings of someone's money.

The same was certainly true of some volunteer horse units, with the officers and NCOs representing the membership of local hunt clubs and the troopers the 'sturdy yeomanry'. If a colonel had the inclination and deep pockets, some truly magnificent outfits resulted!
Old 06-10-15, 07:29 PM

GTB

I've attached a couple of pictures of the front and back of a plate from the RN Museum.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00870.jpg (86.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00872.jpg (87.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-10-15, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Both the RN sword and the RDB sword at first glance look very similar. However, a good initial pointer is that whereas the RN sword has a straight blade, the RDB's is slightly curved. Naturally, the etchings on the upper blade will identify each.
GTB
Royal navy officers sword in later times tended to be based either on the 1805 model or the 1827 model. In modern times the 1827 model came to be accepted by admiralty instruction as the standard for all RN officers. Whereas the 1805 blade was straight the 1827 was slightly curved. I will post pictures of the 1827 when a little less overcome with pussers original issue!!
Regards

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........
Old 09-10-15, 11:57 AM

Following-up on the Malta element of the Royal Dock Yard Battalion, I have traced an article I wrote precisely 30 years ago for a local military collectors society and will refer to it for some salient points.
Each of the raised Battalions were subdivided into various branches consisting of artillery, sappers, infantry, boat and recruit, as well as having a band. However, the Malta Battalion consisted solely of artillery, being a comparatively small unit (300 men) when compared for instance to the Devonport Battalion which in 1853 had a strength of 1,598 all ranks. All units disappeared from the Army List during 1857 but Malta continued until 1864, a period of 11 years, having been formed in 1853.
The Battalions were formed from adult dockyard employees, officers being principal departmental officers and subordinate Yard officers appointed subject to Admiralty approval. Apparently, however, they were never gazetted. The Malta Battalion was staffed by Captains and Lieutenants only, 3 and 14 respectively, evidently on account of its size. The adjutant would be an RM officer.
Drill service was carried out after working hours at Fort St Angelo. In order to provide overall defence of the Dockyard, the Bn was divided into the following 3 companies:
1. The Dockyard Company
2. The Victualling Yard Company
3. The Factory Company.
The reason for disbandment of the Malta Battalion is given as incompatibility in the carrying-out of dockyard duties together with military training but the reason could also be financial as this was a principal factor in the disbandment of the English Battalions.

I hope the above will have thrown a little light on a relatively little-known British naval-military unit of the Victorian era.

GTB
Old 10-10-15, 02:37 PM

Wink

A little late and a tad blurry....Apologies for poor picture quality, chep digi camera and possibly one tot too many.. but this is my 1827 version RN officers sword.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0151.jpg (49.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0157.jpg (35.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0158.jpg (44.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0164.jpg (55.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0165.jpg (54.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0166.jpg (40.7 KB, 18 views)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Old 11-10-15, 10:10 AM

I recall during a trip with a collector friend to Angel market in the 80's, that he was going through a pile of swords and called me over. He was trembling with excitement and told me that he had discovered a 'curved' RN sword, differing from the straight blade normal pattern and that he believed it could be the elusive Royal Dockyard Bn pattern. He then pulled the blade (which was a bit stuck) partly out of the scabbard, just enough to clear the etching details. Sure enough, it was Royal Dockyard Battalion. He later prepared a cut-out of the actual blade for me in silver-foil and complete with rubbing of etching. I still have this stored away for safekeeping somewhere.

Among my notes, the following: "Officers wore a sword of naval pattern, slightly curved with 31" etched blade inscribed "ROYAL DOCKYARD BATTALION" and a foul anchor.

GTB
Old 11-10-15, 01:31 PM

A further piece of personal nostalgia concerning the RDB and which I am tendering as an anecdote.

One of the earliest (1972) Blandford Uniform Series books I purchased was for Infantry Uniforms 1742-1855. Among the uniforms displayed and described was one for a private of the Royal Dockyard Battalion, 1848, and which also illustrated a thumbnail depiction of the shako with plate. Copyright precludes me from scanning the illustration, however the depiction of the plate is tiny (14x10mm). This was the first time I had heard of this unit let alone the first time I had seen a depiction of its badge, however tiny and indistinct. My first reaction was that this item was a 'no-way' piece, or what was later to be termed, a 'Holy Grail'. Nevertheless, the image was so imprinted in my mind that I couldn't believe my eyes when only a short time later I was sitting halfway along a bus and saw what appeared to be this shako plate adorning the engine cowling! To cut a long story short, I wasn't wrong and I successfully negotiated for it with the driver. It is an officer's version, gilt with detachable silver anchor, as in the images posted at beginning of current thread.

GTB
Old 11-10-15, 01:44 PM

I have just remembered that I had this copy of an article from Military Modelling ( date unknown ) which is part of the R.J.Smith archive which I acquired.

If it is legible, I hope it might be of some interest.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1473.jpg (64.9 KB, 23 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-10-15, 03:05 PM

Wink

Thanks , GTB, PB, Badgecollector and all. Fascinating thread and most intriguing subject. Cheers guys.

Regards

Shaun

Old 11-10-15, 05:43 PM

To keep the ball rolling.

These are scans of RDB waistplates. The brass coloured plate is a cast of an actual item in a friend's collection. Apologies for state of scan but one can make out the design. This plate is an unknown, unless it was an earlier pattern officer's item. In every case so far, the nomenclature has always been "DOCK YARD", never "DOCKYARD".
The B&W scan is a photocopy of the more ornate waistplate mentioned in various sources. A close look at the crossed flags show the left as the Union flag, and the right as an anchor with coiled loops near the stock. Item also belongs to same collector

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDBwaistplates_0001.jpg (58.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg RDBwaistplates_0002.jpg (70.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-10-15, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
To keep the ball rolling.

These are scans of RDB waistplates. The brass coloured plate is a cast of an actual item in a friend's collection. Apologies for state of scan but one can make out the design. This plate is an unknown, unless it was an earlier pattern officer's item. In every case so far, the nomenclature has always been "DOCK YARD", never "DOCKYARD".
The B&W scan is a photocopy of the more ornate waistplate mentioned in various sources. A close look at the crossed flags show the left as the Union flag, and the right as an anchor with coiled loops near the stock. Item also belongs to same collector

GTB
rhs - LHA's flag perhaps ?
Old 26-10-15, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinfrin View Post
rhs - LHA's flag perhaps ?
Highly probable. The RDB were a hybrid - having both Army & Navy attributes.

GTB
Old 09-11-15, 01:28 PM

As promised.

Original drawing of etchings on RDB officer's sword blade

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDBswordblade_0001.jpg (46.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RDBswordblade_0002.jpg (41.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 21-11-15, 07:51 PM

Default RDB Buckle eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Navy...p2056016.l4276

1. The 3 QVC buckles. Lineage / Timeline still not clear. Any views please ?
2. The (?) crown with 4 tips / bumps - image on LHS bottom (The buckle with two wreaths.) id help requested.