British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-20, 07:42 AM

Default SA Corps of Scientists (1947–72)

The Government Gazette of 5 September 1947 announced the formation of a new unit within the Union Defence Forces. It would be called the South African Corps of Scientists and it would be under the command of Brigadier Schonland, the President of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, the CSIR (SANDFDOC, File DC 974/70,15 August 1947: Designation of ACF Units, 'South African Corps of Scientists').

The first meeting of this committee was held in April 1951 under Schonland's chairmanship. After settling some procedural matters, such as their travel allowances and the necessity that all would be required to take an oath of secrecy, the brigadier revealed the details of the Corps of Scientists and explained its purpose. Its members would all be employees of the CSIR (subsequently, there were exceptions to this rule, however); they would all be either officers or senior non-commissioned officers within the Active Citizen Force (ACF); they would not wear uniforms, unless specifically required to do so; they would sign contracts binding them to both the CSIR and the Corps of Scientists for a period of not less than two years; they would take a special oath of secrecy and, once attested, they would be obliged to undertake such duties as were assigned to them. These duties, however, would not involve military training or service in other operational units.

See full article at http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol141ba.html

My question to anyone you may be able to answer is when in uniform, what insignia would these Scientists be wearing?
Old 28-05-20, 08:50 AM

I don't know the answer to this but I would assume they would wear their parent unit uniform etc...

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 02-06-20, 03:20 PM

By strange coincidence, Basil Schonland was my Mom's father.
I had become interested in militaria before he died, while I was in high school; I don't recall seeing any unusual insignia among his possessions or photographs.
Brian Austin, who wrote that article, also wrote a book "Schonland: Scientist and Soldier" , I can look for any specific reference in the index if you need.
Rob
Old 02-06-20, 04:20 PM

Thanks Rob,
I have seen pictures of Basil in uniform during the war and he was badged as a staff officer. Not sure post war but as OC of the unit he probably still wore staff officer insignia. I suspect there was no unit insignia, and if there were other uniformed personnel, they may have worn the general service badge.

Steven
Old 25-06-20, 05:55 AM

I've seen two photos where staff officer uniform was worn by senior officers of this corps as befitting their ranks.

Brigadiers Schonland and Naudé.

Don't know what juniors would have worn. My guess would be either general service or Staff corps.