British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-08, 12:51 PM

Those collar badges are the ones alright.

Once again, great photos. No wonder these badges are not easy to obtain, you guys have got them all.

The rear of the left hand collar badge does not seem to be as clearly or as precisely impressed as the right hand one. Is that correct or is it just the photo?

I love this forum. Stuck away here I sometimes go months without getting to talk badges. Now I can do it whenever I like.

Donny B.
Old 30-11-08, 10:49 PM

I think you will that most of these unofficial WW1 badges are now starting to become hard to find and some are quite expensive.

Are you a Light Horse badge collector or just collecting 10th Light Horse?

Mick
Old 01-12-08, 07:49 AM

My real military collecting interest is along another line but I have started broadening out into badges to widen the scope a little because the other stuff is getting just too hard to find. I am starting to find the badges quite fascinating, though, once again, the ones that appeal to me are not easy to come by. For the time being I have tried to limit myself to the West Australian stuff, particularly the earlier badges...........but, though I am getting what I feel is a neat little collection. they are not easy to find. There are, of course, a few icons among the Commonwealth stuff that nobody should be without so I have put a couple of those aside, too.

Donny
Old 01-12-08, 11:53 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Are the "unofficial" badges desirable or even appropriate in a collection of military badges?
I agree with everything Mick has said....and dare I say I consider them to be rarest, most desirable and most expensive badges you can collect. This is because in many cases many of the badge designs were produced in quantities smaller than the number of digits on your hand and some are unique. They make British badges look underated and special forces badges look like cheap tat!

There are collectors in Australia who will trade one of their kidneys for a examples to units who took part in famous celebrated engagements.

You`ll be surprised to know I`m not Australian!
Old 01-12-08, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess they will have a place in my collection.

Donny.
Old 02-12-08, 10:18 AM

Donny,
I agree with Mick. If they are 10LH (AIF) they would have been procured after 1915. But the photos of Brazier and Lowe wearing these badges are in a supplement to the Burridge edition (1980's) of Westralian Cavalry in the Great War and are not in the original edition. Thus they may be post war photos although I am inclined to now think the collar badges could be 1916 -1918 vintage. Be aware, the supplement has errors: eg the list of killed August to October 1915 has many of the originals listed as 3rd Reinforcements. Hassell and the Harper brothers (KIA at the Nek) had the regimental numbers 112, 113 and 114 respectively. They enlisted in the original C Squadron, 7th LH which became A Squadron, 10 LH in late Oct - early Nov 1914 when approval was given to raise a full LH regiment in WA.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 03-12-08 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 10:32 AM

Here is a photo of Hassell taken in late 1914 - early 1915 prior to embarkation. Sorry about the size but on the large portrait they are Rising Sun collar badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hassell 10 LH.jpg (28.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Chrisr; 02-12-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 29-03-15, 05:13 AM

There's a set of 10th ALH collar badges currently on eBay. With them is a copy of a wonderful portrait. The trooper is a Gallipoli veteran with a brass 'A' on his colour patch which means the photo was taken after November 1917.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57 (39).jpg (63.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg $_57 (37).jpg (40.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg $_57 (38).jpg (50.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 29-03-15, 07:47 AM

Military Board Instruction Q.127 dated 21 November 1931 which lists the contractors for the supply of regimental badges for the period ending 31 August 1933 states -
10 L.H.....Collar....Stock with unit - Drill Hall, Francis Street, Perth, W.A.

This is the first consolidated listing of suppliers for regimental and corps badges since the re-introduction of these in 1930, and 10 LH Regt is the only such unit referred to in this manner, suggesting that they had already had these made earlier and no tenders were submitted for manufacture.

The hat badge for 10 LH Regt was made by S. Schlank & Co Ltd, Chezzer St, Adelaide SA.
Old 29-03-15, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
There's a set of 10th ALH collar badges currently on eBay. With them is a copy of a wonderful portrait. The trooper is a Gallipoli veteran with a brass 'A' on his colour patch which means the photo was taken after November 1917.
The trooper is also wearing ribbons.....does that mean post war?

What a shame the badges can not be attributed to the trooper in the photograph. In any of the "unofficial" sets of 10th ALH collar badges that I have seen I have noticed that while the stamping to the rear of the right hand swan is crisp and clear, the stamping to the rear of the left hand swan is blurred as though there have been a couple of hits and misses or it didn't sit in the jig (or whatever) properly. I notice that the eBay listing photos for this pair show the usual blurred rear to the left hand badge.

I have often wondered if this is an indication of something to worry about.

It would be nice to see the rear of a pair that can be definitively attributed to a person and the period.

Donny B.
Old 29-03-15, 11:41 AM
Banned

Western Australian Mounted Infantry [1900 - 1903]
18th (Western Australian Mounted Infantry) Australian Light Horse [1903 - 1912]
25th (Western Australian Mounted Infantry) Australian Light Horse [1912 - 1918]
10th (Western Australian Mounted Infantry) Australian Light Horse [1918 - 1942]

"C" (Geraldton Mounted Infantry) Squadron, Geraldton - Northampton - Greenhough - Dongarra

Second Lieutenant WE Oliver

Second Lieutenant JC Kidd

Second Lieutenant JW Harvey

Second Lieutenant FEM Davis

Second Lieutenant CH Garratt is my paternal great grandfather. He was in 3 Squadron.
Old 05-04-15, 10:24 AM

A second photograph showing the 10th ALH collar badges being worn has surfaced:

https://m.facebook.com/Australianmil...&_ft_&__tn__=E