British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-18, 08:55 PM

Default Rare? Rifle Brigade cap badge

Picked this up the other day. I don't really collect anodised badges, but I am told that it is fairly uncommon. A search of the forum is frustratingly vague to say the least and I don't have access to my copy of "No Bull" at the moment. One thing I do know is that these super shiny badges are very difficult to photograph, regardless of background...

This badge will possibly be put up for sale at some point soon and a high end, low end price would be very useful, not something I have asked for before.

Many thanks,

N

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 06:52 AM

OK, no response so far.

I have now looked through my copy of Chris Marsh's book and it would appear that the timings MM has been faked as I was informed last night by PM (I tried to reply, but your in box is full!).

I am confident that this one is right as it doesn't show the fake traits as described in the book.
Old 11-08-18, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Picked this up the other day. I don't really collect anodised badges, but I am told that it is fairly uncommon. A search of the forum is frustratingly vague to say the least and I don't have access to my copy of "No Bull" at the moment. One thing I do know is that these super shiny badges are very difficult to photograph, regardless of background...

This badge will possibly be put up for sale at some point soon and a high end, low end price would be very useful, not something I have asked for before.

Many thanks,

N
Hi Nosler,

There are not many fake A/A cap badges about although there are quite a few unofficial commissions of badges that were never officially authorised for issue by the War Office/Army Dress Committee. Most of these items came out during the 1980's.

Fake badges are specifically produced to decieve the buyer into believing that they are the real thing.

The Tudor Crown Rifle Brigade cap badge is one of the few A/A badges faked though together with imitation Timings marking. When you get a chance have a look at your copy of my book on page 48 where I go into this in detail. Fracture marks leading from the anodic crust of the slider where the fraudulant mark is applied post anodising is another give away.

Your badge is the real thing though and quite scarce. I have one and I think I gave in cash and/or swaps a value of 275GBP and that was quite some years ago.

Regards,

Chris
Old 11-08-18, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Nosler,

There are not many fake A/A cap badges about although there are quite a few unofficial commissions of badges that were never officially authorised for issue by the War Office/Army Dress Committee. Most of these items came out during the 1980's.

Fake badges are specifically produced to decieve the buyer into believing that they are the real thing.

The Tudor Crown Rifle Brigade cap badge is one of the few A/A badges faked though together with imitation Timings marking. When you get a chance have a look at your copy of my book on page 48 where I go into this in detail. Fracture marks leading from the anodic crust of the slider where the fraudulant mark is applied post anodising is another give away.

Your badge is the real thing though and quite scarce. I have one and I think I gave in cash and/or swaps a value of 275GBP and that was quite some years ago.

Regards,

Chris
Thanks Chris,

I think we were typing at the same time
Old 11-08-18, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Thanks Chris,

I think we were typing at the same time
No worries, Contact me anytime.

Chris
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

is this the good or the bad mark?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rb kings crown maker mark.jpg (110.0 KB, 50 views)

Jerry
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
is this the good or the bad mark?

Thanks
That's the good one Jerry. I've never seen another marked one beside Timings . There is ofc the blank one ,which is from a totally different die.
Is that the one from BritishArmyBadges ? I thought the front was a bit scuffed if it is .
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
That's the good one Jerry. I've never seen another marked one beside Timings . There is ofc the blank one ,which is from a totally different die.
Is that the one from ? I thought the front was a bit scuffed if it is .
Thanks Mike, I thought it was good

that's the one, but even so the price allows for that, I think.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Jerry, my example attached. They are a minor unicorn nowadays. The marked examples are.rare to find. Mine was a very early eBay find, several years ago now.

Regards all

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240327_183316.jpg (110.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1000024802.jpg (95.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20240327_183333.jpg (93.0 KB, 19 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Good condition as well.
Andy
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Jerry, my example attached. They are a minor unicorn nowadays. The marked examples are.rare to find. Mine was a very early eBay find, several years ago now.

Regards all

Bess
Looks a nice one, good to see the mm better on yours

Jerry