British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-15, 09:30 AM

Default 2nd N. Transvaal Reg

Hi, I was looking at the SADF. Info site and it shows the 2nd battalion Northern Transvaal Regiment as being armoured. What were they armed with and when was it? Thanks in advance Mike
Old 22-02-15, 10:02 AM

Mike

Found this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regimen...hern_Transvaal

There are a few sites that come up on Google. As for weapons I am not sure, will do some digging. But being Mechanised it is possible they used Ratel group of vehicles: http://www.military-today.com/apc/ratel.htm

Brian
Old 22-02-15, 01:02 PM

Hi Brian, many thanks. It was the fact that it refers to the 2nd battalion that made me wonder. It doesn't mention any other mec. inf. battalions so I assumed it had some form of armour other than APCs. Thanks again and best wishes Mike
Old 25-02-15, 09:43 AM

Hi, the defence web site shows the 1st bat was armoured, can anyone say which bat was armoured and what was the armour? Thanks in advance Mike
Old 28-02-15, 06:13 PM

Mike

Those Ratels were also considered as "armour" especially the 90 mm versions. Took on T54's and cleaned up at close quarters due to their ability to move fast and were not as cumbersome as the tanks. Sadly we did loose a few. We also used French Panard Armoured cars (nicknamed "Noddy Cars" by the soldiers) in the beginning but these soon proved obsolete. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6

We do have upgraded Centurians named Oliphants (Elephants) but only used in the last few years of the conflict.

Sorry I cannot say for sure what the 2nd Tvl Regt used but it would have been one of the three.

Brian