British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-15, 08:46 AM

Default SA cloth patches

Can anyone identify these four cloth patches for me, please? No 1 appears to be a general medical patch as it has no numerals, and I was told no 4 may be Letaba Commando.
Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img694.jpg (86.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-02-15, 09:35 AM

Hi Badger44

Top left : SA Medical Service 1970s vintage, but it appears to be incomplete -- there were usually numerals or letters at the top, between the cobras' heads, to identify the unit.

Top right : probably Magol Commando.

Bottom left : possibly Brits Commando.

Bottom right : 4 SA Infantry Battalion 1960s or early '70s.

Arthur
Old 20-02-15, 12:07 PM

Default SA cloth patches

Hi Arthur,
Many thanks for the possible identifications. I also thought that all the medical units had a number etc on the patch, so it's possibly an incomplete version, as you say. I'll list it as such at present, unless I hear anything else from anyone.
The only reference I have on these is a book by Mike Everts, (Eenheids Skouer Flitse)showing sketches of the metal shields. However, it seems that the cloth versions may have been different in design, as both the Magol and Brits Commando patches in this are of a different design than the cloth patches I illustrated.
I see that no 4 is a version of 4th SA Inf Bn, so will list it as such.
Many thanks for your help. Maybe someone will confirm the probables for me.
Old 20-02-15, 12:32 PM

hi badges,

i agree with you on the sa medical badge.

take a look at this site http://www.sadf.info/ it may help to match cloth badges to arm shields

philip
Old 20-02-15, 03:00 PM

Default SA cloth patches

Hi Philip,
Many thanks indeed for the link to the SADF website. I was unaware of this until now. I assume all of the illustrations are for the metal arm shields, and also assume that all (or perhaps most) of these are available as 'tupperware' arm hangers.
I also see that there are some of the rectangular 'affiliation bars' shown which often appear on the hangers, and some of which I have are unknown to me, so the site will also answer questions on these as well.
It is an excellent reference site for what badges are available, of which I now seem to have very few in my collection!!
I haven't been through it yet in detail, but hopefully there may also be a section on the cloth badges which will confirm the Magol and Brits Commandos cloth patches.
On the medical one, closer inspection shows there is a very slight indentation between the snake heads, so possibly someone has unpicked the numeral for some reason!!
Many thanks for the further information. If anyone else can confirm anything, I would be grateful.
Old 20-02-15, 04:49 PM

hi badger,

its a great website indeed,however i dont think it shows cloth badges apart from rank badges.

i assume that cloth badges are the same design as the metal arm shields,also it does not show cap badges

philip
Old 20-02-15, 05:52 PM

Hi Badger

The two left badges have been identified already: SA Medical Corps, missing its metal unit-identifying badge, and Brits Commando.

The flash top right was worn by Waterberg Noord (Northern Waterberg) Commando, which became Magol Commando at some point.

The bottom right flash, although very similar to the later 4 SAI flash, was worn by Letaba Commando. 4 SAI wore a rather plain cloth flash with the Roman numerals "IV" in gold on a green and black field with a gold border.

I will try to put some images on the Web tomorrow to show an example of a SAMC flash as worn and the early 4 SAI cloth flash for reference.

Regards
Craig
Old 20-02-15, 08:02 PM

Default SA cloth patches

Hi Craigen,
Many thanks for the further information you have given me, especially the confirmations on the patches. It would certainly be useful if you would post some pictures of the Medical flash and the early 4th Inf Bn, so that I have a comparison. I shall look forward to them.
Old 27-02-15, 06:04 PM

Hello Badger

Here are pictures of the early cloth shoulder flashes for 4 SAI Bn and 2 Military Hospital. Apologies for the images sizes; I did not have time to resize them.

The military hospital flash utilised a standard cloth flash with a metal numeral at the top. Other medical units wore the same flash but with different numerals/devices in the centre, except for the training centre, which had a fully embroidered variation of the flash (also pictured for comparison).

4 SAI:

2 Military Hospital

SAMC (SAMS) Training Centre:

Regards
Craig