British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-12-13, 08:09 PM

Default Mauritius Police - Hallmark Enquiry 1926?

Hi All, Wonder if anyone can help. I had this badge given to me, probably in the 1970's by my father. I only noticed recently that it was hallmarked. The last three marks appear to be anchor, lion, B and the style of B dates this as 1926 and a Birmingham hallmark . Given that it has a kings crown, this would seem reasonable. Its a shame but I cant figure out the marks above this. I have no idea if this is plated (most likely?) or not. Was there a regular badge maker from Birmingham at the time or many of them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131215_110807.jpg (46.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20131215_111158.jpg (32.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 17-12-13, 09:18 PM

Hi

I'd agree with your dating of the hallmark to Birmingham 1926, as far as I know hallmarks are applied to guarantee that the item is of xx% silver or gold so there should be no worries there. The marks above, to me, look like "B & h": using my two small pocket guides throws up no candidates, perhaps other members have more comprehensive guides? There are/were badge manufacturers in Birmingham: Fattorini was one, Gaunt another, though this may equally have been made by a silversmith - perhaps checking Birmingham trade directories for the 1920s for badge makers and silversmiths may produce a candidate.

I have to say it is a lovely piece, there is something about colonial-era badges and any collector of such would be over the moon to have it in his/her collection.

Thank you for sharing it and good luck with your research.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-12-13, 09:42 PM

Graham, thanks for your response. I agree - tricky to locate a B & H, I also looked at B & I but doesn't seem to be.

Also - yes, my father gave me a load of badges and this is one of my favourites as its unusual and in a nice condition.
Old 17-12-13, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramway View Post
Graham, thanks for your response. I agree - tricky to locate a B & H, I also looked at B & I but doesn't seem to be.

Also - yes, my father gave me a load of badges and this is one of my favourites as its unusual and in a nice condition.
Whilst I can't throw any light upon the identity of the manufacturer of your particular badge, I do have an identical one in my collection. Mine is marked "JRGS" (J.R. Gaunt & Son) with the Birmingham hallmark for 1953. The badge would have been worn in pairs (one on each side of the collar) by Gazetted Officers.

Dave.

PS. I've just had a thought. Looking at your photo of the hallmark I think the letters are "B&P" which would be Bent & Parker. I hope this is helpful.
Old 18-12-13, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Whilst I can't throw any light upon the identity of the manufacturer of your particular badge, I do have an identical one in my collection. Mine is marked "JRGS" (J.R. Gaunt & Son) with the Birmingham hallmark for 1953. The badge would have been worn in pairs (one on each side of the collar) by Gazetted Officers.

Dave.

PS. I've just had a thought. Looking at your photo of the hallmark I think the letters are "B&P" which would be Bent & Parker. I hope this is helpful.
- Dave. Again thanks. I will check this out. Steve.