British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-10, 08:03 PM

Wow. Thank you all so much for these responses!

I will have to read through them more carefully and then find out more about these regiments, but at the moment I'm overwhelmed by how much you managed to work out. Especially given the complications over when exactly some items of uniform were phased out, or best uniform v. ordinary uniform. (I feel sure there's a better way to phrase that, militarily).

I am quite prepared to think that my great-uncle was a driver. During WWI, their father was a driver in the Royal Engineers (according to his military papers found via a genealogy database), and these papers show him as a stud groom in civilian life. So, his other son being in a cavalry regiment would also make a lot of sense (assuming that horses were still involved in cavalry at this point?). I also see from a quick glance at the Royal Scots Greys Wikipedia article, some of their WWII action would have placed my grandfather in the desert, which ties in with what my father remembers being told.

Thank you all again. This is wonderfully helpful!
Old 26-09-10, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

If you can send me the name and any details (PM will do) I can look up their father's medal card and see if they had WW1 service records for him.