British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-08, 02:27 PM

Default Desert uniform identification please

Can anyone identify a regiment for me from this photo - specifically the epaulettes. I reckon I can make out 43 and something which looks like a palm tree!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (36.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 20-09-08, 02:32 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie View Post
Can anyone identify a regiment for me from this photo - specifically the epaulettes. I reckon I can make out 43 and something which looks like a palm tree!

Any chance of a larger and better picture, or is the original very small?
You can see more than I can on my screen..
Old 20-09-08, 02:48 PM

The original is postcard sized and this is a copy of a scan. I've cropped it to just the man and adjusted it to greyscale - hopefully easier to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11a.jpg (38.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 20-09-08, 03:35 PM

Combination Div Sign ? 78th Div and ??
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8723.jpg (36.2 KB, 82 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-09-08, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie View Post
The palm tree looks like the Crusader's battle axe of the 78th Division.
There was a 49th LAA Regt. in the 79th Div.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 20-09-08, 05:49 PM

Thanks Fougasse - I've checked out a picture of the 78th insignia and I am sure you are right. Looks like this lad was 49th LAA.
Old 20-09-08, 06:12 PM

So I was miles away,but I dont think that Fougasse is necessarily correct because I dont think units showed their designations so obviously on the epaulette slides, but I may be wrong.

One of the slides I illustrated from British Battle Insignia 2 1939-45 by Mike Chappell showed the number "49" below the 78th Div sign,but according to the text this was for 214th Field Company R.E. and appears to be the units tactical sign rather than the regiments number.

Look forward to hearing what the cloth experts think.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-09-08, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
So I was miles away,but I dont think that Fougasse is necessarily correct because I dont think units showed their designations so obviously on the epaulette slides, but I may be wrong.

One of the slides I illustrated from British Battle Insignia 2 1939-45 by Mike Chappell showed the number "49" below the 78th Div sign,but according to the text this was for 214th Field Company R.E. and appears to be the units tactical sign rather than the regiments number.

Look forward to hearing what the cloth experts think.

P.B.
Hello,
I agree with 8thfoot, "49" is one of the tactical signs used for identification on the Infantry Div.'s vehicules, this one 49 on blue was used by a Royal Engineers Field Company. Tactical codes were used by Royal Engineers units on BD as identification badges in some divisions such 78th ID, 3rd ID, 49th ID... The man on the postcard is probably a fellow enlisted in the 214th Field Company R.E., 78th Infantry Division. Cheers J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RE 50.JPG (26.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 246fieldcoyRE.jpg (44.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 21-09-08, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hello,
I agree with 8thfoot, "49" is one of the tactical signs used for identification on the Infantry Div.'s vehicules, this one 49 on blue was used by a Royal Engineers Field Company. Tactical codes were used by Royal Engineers units on BD as identification badges in some divisions such 78th ID, 3rd ID, 49th ID... The man on the postcard is probably a fellow enlisted in the 214th Field Company R.E., 78th Infantry Division. Cheers J-F
8thfoot and rubicon I stand corrected, of course it's the tactical sign, not the unit's number.
I just had a quick leaf through Joslen and found the 49th LAA. My only contribution therefore is taking it from 43 in the first post to 49.
214th Field Company R.E. it is.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 13-10-08, 11:17 PM

Does anyone know if there is a published list of these tactical codes?
Old 12-08-10, 10:37 AM

Hi

May I as a "newbie" throw in my comment ?

I was a 49 LAA Man myself, in 78 Div and can definitely confirm that the 49 number shown above had nothing at all to do with the actual regiment.

I was to go on later to become a "tankie" and demonstrate this on my Avatar on http://www.ww2talk.com/

Regards

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amended Avatar.jpg (3.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 14-08-10, 02:23 PM

Default Military Markings

As far as I know the best published list is in the 1971 Almark-published book British Military Markings 1939-1946.

It has a pretty comprehensive listing by types of formation for various dates.

Copies listed on ABE Books

Postwarden