British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-07-10, 09:04 PM
peter616

Default Crimea rare photos

Just pick these rare crimean photos up

R A MAN.jpg

Officers of the 39th Foot.jpg

Scots Fus Segt-Maj.jpg
Old 16-07-10, 09:12 PM

Smile Crimean Photos

Wonderful finds Peter, thanks for sharing them.
Old 17-07-10, 08:15 PM

Default Crimean Heroes

Hi Peter
The first photo is Sgt Stainton Kester Knight of the RS&M taken by Joseph Cundal for his study of "Crimean Heroes" circa 1856. (Yes, they did wear the identical headdress and badge as the RA at this period)
The second is, I believe a Roger Fenton photo. (will get back to you on this one when I have dug out the details)
The third is Sgt Major Edwards, Scots Fusilier Guards c.1856 also by Cundal.
Hope these details are of some interest and use to you. Regards Jeff
PS : Cannot find any info re the 39F group, sorry....but I am sure I have seen it before...I guess it could be Cundal again after all ?? (will continue looking). Many thanks for sharing these superb images with us. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 17-07-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 18-07-10, 08:22 AM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi Peter
The first photo is Sgt Stainton Kester Knight of the RS&M taken by Joseph Cundal for his study of "Crimean Heroes" circa 185original6. (Yes, they did wear the identical headdress and badge as the RA at this period)
The second is, I believe a Roger Fenton photo. (will get back to you on this one when I have dug out the details)
The third is Sgt Major Edwards, Scots Fusilier Guards c.1856 also by Cundal.
Hope these details are of some interest and use to you. Regards Jeff
PS : Cannot find any info re the 39F group, sorry....but I am sure I have seen it before...I guess it could be Cundal again after all ?? (will continue looking). Many thanks for sharing these superb images with us. Jeff

Hi Jeff i have 7 original photos of the Crimean war and 2 original Fenton the most i have ever pay for a photo lol thanks for the info on Sgt Stainton Kester Knight of the RS&M i can add that to the photo

peter
Old 18-07-10, 08:43 AM

Hi (again) Peter
I have at last located my copy of your photo number 2, it was an illustration in a small book by G.A.Embleton entitled "The Crimean War 1853-56" published by Almark in 1975. Unfortunately tho' he does not give the source other than the NAM, but it certainly looks like Fenton's style to me. Anyway the NAM should know. Once again congratulations on your excellent purchases. Jeff
Old 19-07-10, 02:57 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile Crimea Photos.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the great photos, l have been through my library on the Crimea, one of my favourite subjects, and have found a copy of the group photo in The British Army of the Crimea by JBR Nicholson from the Osprey Men at Arms series.

The group photo is of the "Officers of the 39th (the Dorsetshire) Regiment of Foot, the caption reads as follows (the standing figures are numbered 1 to 5 from left to right) "All in this group wear the scarlet shell piped with white and with green collar and cuffs and the twisted gold shoulder cords. Undress trousers have red welts. All wear the undress black leather belts and are wearing or carrying white gloves, and all carry telescopes over their left shoulder. The Adjutant (?), No2 has steel scabard, the colonel, No 3, would have brass. Note that the colonel and No 1 wear "Balaclava" jackets. Their forage caps of blue with black band and peak of patent leather has 39 in gold on the front, although No 5 seems to have an additional badge, possibly the light company bugle horn above the numeral"

Unfortunately the officers are not named and the photo has no credit as do all the other photos in the book.

I hope that this helps, keep up the good work guys.

Cheers

Phil.