British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-11, 06:02 PM

Default Hiemstra

Hi, I am looking for info regarding the Hiemstra period in South Africa. Firstly which years the "Hiemstra" style uniform was worn, secondly which gorgette's were worn by which officers. I believe that their was an article published in the 1970's in one of the local magazines, maybe even the Paratus about this. Does anybody have a copy for me? Regards Andrew
Old 07-05-11, 02:17 PM

Well, here is a picture of our boy, with the nazi influenced uniform. Note the high brim and small peak. The badges are rather attractive, but rather short lived.
Regards
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hiemstra1.jpg (48.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg hiemstra2.jpg (49.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-05-11, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, I am looking for info regarding the Hiemstra period in South Africa. Firstly which years the "Hiemstra" style uniform was worn, secondly which gorgette's were worn by which officers. I believe that their was an article published in the 1970's in one of the local magazines, maybe even the Paratus about this. Does anybody have a copy for me? Regards Andrew
The 'universal uniform' was introduced in 1971 and bit the dust around 1974. There was indeed an article in Paratus some time in 1971, and I have an idea the government PR magazine SA Panorama also featured it. It was designed by London coutourier Hardy Amies.

The 'Kalahari sand'-coloured uniform was not at all popular. Apart from the army and SAAF generals on the Supreme Command, and the medical service top brass, hardly anyone seems to have worn it.

The navy was particulary opposed to it. When President Fouche gave a speech at a naval function (at which Hiemstra was present), and said how sorry he'd be once the navy stopped wearing its traditional whites, he received a standing ovation, and that was pretty much the death knell of the uniform.

There were two patterns of gorget patch. The pattern worn by the generals (maj gen to cmdt gen) had the three springboks and was edged in gold. The pattern worn by brigadiers and colonels had two pieces of ribbon(?) twisted like a koeksuster down the centre of the patch. Background colours were:
+ commandant-general : 'imperial Chinese peacock blue'
+ army : chilli red
+ SAAF : steel blue
+ medical service : ruby red
+ chaplains : spectrum violet
+ 'central organs' i.e. Defence HQ departments : green.

Arthur
Old 07-05-11, 03:07 PM

Thnk you Mike and Arthur. Most useful to me. Regards Andrew
Old 17-01-12, 07:30 PM

Default Hiemstra: Medical service

Hi,
Thanks for a very informative bit of info on the Hiemstra badges.
I have a set of the Medical Service gorget patches for Brigadiers (see picture).

If anyone has a set of the Generals cap badge and Gorgets (with 3 springboks) I would be very keen to add these to my collection. Phillip Bloch had all of these, but I am unable to trace who purchased this board from his late estate. If someone does have them could they post some pictures please.

I will scan and post pictures from Paratus of some medical personel wearing these badges.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiemstra Brigadier.jpg (57.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 18-01-12, 11:07 AM

I only have one of the Air Force gorgets from this period, desperately looking for the others.... But it certainly gives you an idea of what they looked like.

Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gorget.jpg (13.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-01-12, 03:25 PM

Some pictures of medical staff in Hiemstra uniform
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (73.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (74.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (96.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 24-09-13, 03:25 PM

Hi, I just picked these up and thought that I would just share them here. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiemstra.JPG (34.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 24-09-13, 03:44 PM

Hi Andrew,
Very nice find. Appears to be unissued Army General and Chaplain General's cap badge. I was not aware that there was a Chaplain General in the early 1970's but maybe as these are unisssued they were possibly made awaiting issue to a general in the Chaplain service. The late Phillip Bloch had a full set of the Hiemstra general cap and gorget patches in his collection. Still have no idea what happened to these badges?

Regards
Steven
Old 24-09-13, 05:37 PM

Hi Steven, I am very happy having found them. Not sure what route they have followed to me, but never the less very chuffed with them. Regards Andrew
Old 25-09-13, 03:36 PM

Andrew

Nice additions to the collection, I have only ever seen the SAAF versions.

Thanks for posting, will keep the eyes peeled, not a collector of rank badges I would not have given these a second glance before!

Brian
Old 30-10-13, 05:05 PM

I just managed to add these to my "Hiemstra" collection. Very chuffed, and having a good day. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiemstra1.JPG (41.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-11-13, 06:51 AM

Andrew, those are awesome!

Did you have any idea where they would belong? I take it the purple ones were for Chaplains. Also any guesses as to why there were different sizes there?

A great find indeed, well done!

Jimmy