British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-13, 08:15 PM

Default Doctor Who - Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart

Evening Gents

The recently recovered ‘missing’ episodes of the 1968 Doctor Who series “The Web of Fear” feature the first appearance of Colonel (later General) Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, played by Nicholas Courtney. In it he is supposedly in the Scots Guards: is that borne out by the headgear he is wearing in the short clip on this link?:

http://forgivenalwaysandcompletely.t...bridge-stewart

It looks, to me, rather like the Glengarry currently worn by the Royal Regiment of Scotland with a generic ‘thistle’ badge attached. There may be better views available when the series is realised next month, but I’d welcome any comments on the authenticity (or lack of) of his headdress.

Thanks

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-10-13, 03:23 PM

I didn't think the Scots Guards ever wore the glengarry, so I think it's probably a made up regiment, judging from the badge.
David
Old 14-10-13, 03:31 PM

Never mind the hat and badge, look at the rank......Brigadier Colonel. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.
Old 14-10-13, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
Never mind the hat and badge, look at the rank......Brigadier Colonel. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.
He was a Colonel in "The Web of Fear", but promoted to Brigadier by "Spearhead from Space", commanding the British section of UNIT (United Nations Intelligence Taskforce).

Yes, I'm an anorak

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-10-13, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
I didn't think the Scots Guards ever wore the glengarry, so I think it's probably a made up regiment, judging from the badge.
David
Thanks David, once it's released I'll see if a better angle is available. But it looks like it's a prop cap as I thought.

Graham
Old 14-10-13, 04:22 PM

It was The Royal Scots Diced Glengarry back in the 60's but as a Full Colonel he should have worn the Staff Officers Lion over Crown Badge on a Glengarry, but only if commanding a Scotish Formation!

Was it ever stated he was 'Scots Guards' ?

Wiki Character history

Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart was born in Scotland, according to dialogue in Terror of the Zygons. He first encounters the Second Doctor in The Web of Fear (1968), when Lethbridge-Stewart is a Colonel commanding a British Army detachment sent to investigate the Yeti in the London Underground. By his next appearance in The Invasion (also in 1968), he had been promoted to Brigadier and was working with UNIT

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 14-10-13 at 04:29 PM.
Old 14-10-13, 04:27 PM

I suppose to be entirely accurate do not Pipers ( and only Pipers ) in the Scots Guards wear Glengarries ?

The thing I found interesting in the clips from the tapes was that some of the soldiers I think were wearing battledress which just goes to show how long Doctor Who has been going.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-10-13, 04:39 PM

It is after all a fictional TV Programme.

Marc
Old 14-10-13, 05:16 PM

Go wash your mouth out with soap young Marc - Fictional indeed, you will be saying Thunderbirds were puppets next.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 14-10-13, 05:20 PM

Marc,

You will also be saying Corrie is only fiction .

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-10-13, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Marc,

Peter
Don't get me started on the soaps!

Marc
Old 14-10-13, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Marc,

Peter
Not forgetting Prime Ministers Question Time!
Old 03-08-19, 10:11 PM

Default Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart in Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear

The original link I posted appears to be defunct, for those interested in badges of fictional units here is a clearer screenshot of the badge in question: a large thistle flanked by two thistle leaves.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: png Lethbridge Stewart.png (106.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-08-19, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Marc,

Peter
I know it's real, I have been there and Emmerdale and Aidensfield and....

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)