British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-06-13, 10:45 PM

Default Type 5 wings?

This seller purports these wings to be type 5. The type 5 is my favorite type of wing to collect as it is for me the easiest to identify. However, I don't believe the wings in this auction are type 5. Just curious what others have to say. Seems to me that there are a ton of wings being sold as WW2 and are being erroneously assigned an incorrect type as per Ken's book. Anyone else noticing this happening?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scarce-1st-Ca...item19d47e4ea0

Last edited by Infanteer; 21-06-13 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 15-06-13, 05:59 PM

Hello Infanteer,

I don't believe these wings are of WW2 manufacture nor Type 5 wings.

Regards

Paul
Old 20-06-13, 01:01 PM

Interesting wing you posted Infanteer,

It appears to have stitching characteristics of a Type 1 wing, however,the white backing appears different from those I have handled and I don’t care for how it has been ‘trimmed up’.

If collectors are interested, I will try and write a detailed description of each wing type and post it?...

Cheers
Old 23-06-13, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Interesting wing you posted Infanteer,

It appears to have stitching characteristics of a Type 1 wing, however,the white backing appears different from those I have handled and I don’t care for how it has been ‘trimmed up’.

If collectors are interested, I will try and write a detailed description of each wing type and post it?...

Cheers
yes please cheers steve
Old 25-06-13, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Sure, I can use all the help I can get with these infernal wings...
Old 26-06-13, 12:15 AM

I need all the help I can get my self, I even own a couple books on the subject and still find it difficult to identify them.
Old 26-06-13, 01:16 AM

Okay Gents!

It appears there is some interest, so I will do my best to write a detailed description of each wing type and post it with pictures. Please be patient, I have plenty on the go at the moment.

Cheers!
Old 01-07-13, 07:54 PM

Hello Gents,

I had a few messages from people wanting me to post detailed descriptions along with some close up pictures. I realize it can be challenging to capture all the details and colours from a simple low resolution picture, therefore I have typed up a detailed description of each ‘wing type’.

If you are fortunate enough to be handling an untouched wing with its complete original border, then of course you can determine what you have in your hands a little easier. It is when we come across wings that have been excessively trimmed down combined with extreme wear, dirt, fading, etc… which can cloud our decision.

My disclaimer: I’m simply giving you my observation from my personal collection along with handling several wings over the years. Please keep in mind that there quite possibly could be ‘exceptions to the rule’ with war time wings.

Enjoy & Happy Collecting!
Old 01-07-13, 10:02 PM

Can't wait to see your descriptions. Any help is appreciated. Will you be posting them here or are we to contact you individually?
Old 03-07-13, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for creating the reference cw2311. The information has been moved to a separate thread at http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=33116. It has been pinned to the top of the Airborne and Special Forces Forum for reference.